Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Study reveals Barcelona and Real Madrid have the most fans in Europe

• 11-09-2010 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

goal.com wrote:

Spanish champions Barcelona have the most number of fans in Europe with Real Madrid coming a distant second, while there are four clubs each from Italy and England among the 20 most supported European teams, according to a report by Sport + Markt.

The study also reveals that Premier League giants Manchester United and Chelsea are the two most widely supported English teams in Europe as they came third and fourth, ahead of Bayern Munich of Germany.

Sport + Markt's study of 'Football Top 20' analyses the popularity of domestic and international football clubs in 17 European countries (Germany, France, the UK, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Poland, Croatia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Czech Republic and Russia). Over 10,200 football fans aged 16-69 were interviewed.

Barcelona emerged as the most supported club while their archrivals and fellow Primera Division giants Madrid came second. Manchester United came a close third while Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool complete the list of English teams in the Top 20.

Serie A has four representatives as well - Milan and Inter are ranked seventh and eighth respectively while Juventus are tenth and Roma are 19th. Russian club Zenit St. Petersburg, Dynamo Kiev of Ukraine and Ajax of the Netherlands also made the list.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2010/09/10/2112732/study-reveals-barcelona-and-real-madrid-have-the-most-fans

Not really suprising in a way. Barca have been the team of the past 5 years, 2 CL's, La Liga titles and the most champagne football. Ronaldinho was the man up to when he left Barca, and ATM Messi is. I suspect Real are there cos of the big name signings, namely Kaká and Ronaldo.

I think Chelsea finishing 4th place sorta backs this up. BTW the complete table is in the link.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Looks like a pile of poo to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Chelsea 4th?

No chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

baz2009 wrote: »
    Chelsea 4th?

No chance.
    Probably are now tbh.

Before abramovich, they woudn't even be in the top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Probably are now tbh.

Before abramovich, they woudn't even be in the top 10.

I despise those people who started to follow Chelsea after Abramovich came along!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The sample (10,200) is way to small to get a good feel for the correct numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

No way that Milan and Inter have more supporters than Juve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Not in Italy, but maybe in the rest of Europe, especially after the match-fixing shizzle.

I think it's a whole load of bollocks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I hear Monaghan United were 22nd on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can't imagine Chelsea have picked up so many fans to come fourth I would have thought Juve,Milan and Inter would all have more fans due to the History of success the clubs have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Pre-2006, Inter had sweet feck all going for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Suprised at Chelsea's position considering they are just about in the top 5 most supported in England. But that said they are probably more popular in mainland Europe then they are in England because of the anti-Chelsea sentiment doesn't exist as much there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dub13 wrote: »
    The sample (10,200) is way to small to get a good feel for the correct numbers.

^^This^^

There are 3 Russian clubs in the top 13 and 2 Turkish clubs in the top 18. As popular as Galatasaray and Fenerbahce would be in Turkey, I would doubt they have that much support outside of there.

10,200/17 = 600 people people per country; that sample size makes this survey pointless tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Study reveals controversial result shocker!!

Some of the standings are expected, I suppose some are unwilling to accept that Chelsea has made it as force in European football. Your perception doesnt change reality.

If you are unhappy with the findings, show us a survey that categorically disproves these results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    ^^This^^

There are 3 Russian clubs in the top 13 and 2 Turkish clubs in the top 18. As popular as Galatasaray and Fenerbahce would be in Turkey, I would doubt they have that much support outside of there.

10,200/17 = 600 people people per country; that sample size makes this survey pointless tbh.

Population of Russia - 141,950,000
    Population of Turkey - 73,914,260
    Total - 215,864,260.

Which is equal to almost a third of the entire population of Europe. Absolutely reasonable that these clubs would appear on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Columbia wrote: »
    Population of Russia - 141,950,000
    Population of Turkey - 73,914,260
    Total - 215,864,260.

Which is equal to almost a third of the entire population of Europe. Absolutely reasonable that these clubs would appear on the list.

You have to ignore the ignorant EPL fanboy comments.

YES, THERE ARE BIG LEAGUES OUTSIDE THE ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Study reveals that Corkman is a ****ing langer.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If he thread title replaced the words "and Real Madrid" with the word "precious" it would be better tbh.:pac:

I'd believe the top two tbh. Both are the two biggest supported clubs worldwide.

But Chelsea 4th? I'd seriously doubt that.

flahavaj wrote: »
    If he thread title replaced the words "and Real Madrid" with the word "precious" it would be better tbh.:pac:
    "Study reveals Barcelona precious have the most fans in Europe"

That makes less sense tbh.

"Study reveals Barcelona precious have the most fans in Europe"

That makes less sense tbh.

Jeer fail for the Flah. Sounds like that game Ted used to play in the Fast Show with his mates.

LOL its half 7 on a saatrday, give a man a chance. Sick the precious after "most" and you're in business.:pac:

• Advertisement

Jeer fail for the Flah. Sounds like that game Ted used to play in the Fast Show with his mates.

LOL its half 7 on a saatrday, give a man a chance. Sick the precious after "most" and you're in business.:pac:
    Sick it where :pac:

Sick it where :pac:

Up yer hole.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd believe the top two tbh. Both are the two biggest supported clubs worldwide.

But Chelsea 4th? I'd seriously doubt that.

You're usually spot on rarnes, but I doubt Barca have more support than Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

#15 wrote: »
    Sure all of Catalan support Barca that's a huge area including northern spain and southern France.

man united have most of asia.

#15 wrote: »

That's just my opinion of course :)

Barca are hugely popular in Europe. I was in France during the summer and the amount of kids etc wearing Barca shirts was unreal.

It was southern france tbf.

The brand of football they have played over the past few decades have attracted many followers.

Also,there is still a lot of anti english feeling in many european countries.

Now if this poll was conducted in Asia, united would come up tops I'd imagine.

Going off topic here but Asia has so much money making potential for clubs, they haven't even scratched the surface over there in terms of marketing in fairness. India and China between them have about 2.5 billion people !

Sure all of Catalan support Barca that's a huge area including northern spain and southern France.

You can't be entirely serious?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That's just my opinion of course :)

Barca are hugely popular in Europe. I was in France during the summer and the amount of kids etc wearing Barca shirts was unreal.

It was southern france tbf.

The brand of football they have played over the past few decades have attracted many followers.

Also,there is still a lot of anti english feeling in many european countries.

Now if this poll was conducted in Asia, united would come up tops I'd imagine. !

No, I agree with you there. I'd say Barca do have more support in Europe, but worldwide, I'd say Utd are ahead of them.

So I'd have to disagree with
    Rarnes1 wrote:

Do not underestimate the Utd PR and marketing machine:)

man united have most of asia.

This is a notoriously hard market to make money from,mostly down to the amount of rip off replica jerseys knocking around that part of the world.

• Advertisement

This is a notoriously hard market to make money from,mostly down to the amount of rip off replica jerseys knocking around that part of the world.

They would still be supporters nonetheles though, whether their jersies are ripped off or not, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I done a study of 10 of my friends and asked who is their favorite team in the world.

The results are
    4 - liverpool
    2 - Man utd
    2 - spurs
    1 - Everton
    1 - west ham

so its official Liverpool are the most supported team in Ireland, twice as many as utd and spurs have the same amount of fans as spurs.

*My study has just as much credibilty as the one in the op

They would still be supporters nonetheles though, whether their jersies are ripped off or not, no?

Yes of course but these marketing company's are doing surveys like this to try and figure out were to target.At the moment there is feck all money for football clubs in Asia unless you do a tour,I know the TV market over their is picking up but again its nothing major.

To sum up,having the Asian market is like a ugly girl who can dance.She is still not going to get much action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yes of course but these marketing company's are doing surveys like this to try and figure out were to target.At the moment there is feck all money for football clubs in Asia unless you do a tour,I know the TV market over their is picking up but again its nothing major.

To sum up,having the Asian market is like a ugly girl who can dance.She is still not going to get much action.

But there are millions of ugly girls (fricking loads of hot ones but not in this analogy :pac:) who are all getting a lil bit of action.

You have obviously never darkened the door of Coppers'. Ugly girls get plenty action - its ugly blokes that suffer the most.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

People can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forfty percent of all people know that.

• Advertisement

You have obviously never darkened the door of Coppers'. Ugly girls get plenty action - its ugly blokes that suffer the most.:pac:

No I have never been in Coppers.

The point about the ugly girls who can dance is you will look at them but cant do much with them (only the one thing really).You are not going to bring them home show them off to the mates and family.

This is the same situation as having football fans in Asia,what can you do with them bar stick them in surveys like this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is it cool to have a load of johnny-come-lately bandwagoners supporting your team or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'm sure a few Espanyol fans would beg to differ but I'd imagine the vast majority of Catalans would support Barca, especially those who feel a strong sense of Catalan identity.

Catalunya has a population of around 8 million or so and to say it includes northern Spain and southern France is an exaggeration. It includes the north-east of Spain, and a very small part of the south-east of France.

It's interesting that no other Spanish team makes the list. It goes to show how much of a gap is emerging between the top two and other teams in Spain. Indeed, the 'barstooler - LOI' debate could apply to Spain too. I'd imagine the majority support Barca or Madrid, and not their local team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I done a study of 10 of my friends and asked who is their favorite team in the world.

The results are
    4 - liverpool
    2 - Man utd
    2 - spurs
    1 - Everton
    1 - west ham

so its official Liverpool are the most supported team in Ireland, twice as many as utd and spurs have the same amount of fans as spurs.

*My study has just as much credibilty as the one in the op

Over 10,200 football fans aged 16-69 were interviewed.

It's a close run thing I know but I thing theirs has slightly more value than yours

greendom wrote: »

It's a close run thing I know but I thing theirs has slightly more value than yours

sarcasmdetectorg.jpg

• Advertisement

sarcasmdetectorg.jpg

Right back at ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Liverpool have to be higher than Chelsea.

Sample size is shíte. I can't imagine Barcelona have dominated the Asian, African and US markets. If you asked me who are the most supported clubs in the World would be I'd say Man United and Madrid.

I very much doubt that Chelsea would be in the top four.

that a lot in it to be honest 10 people in relation to the population of ireland compared to 10,000 people in relation to the population of europe id it might be closer than you would think

*I havent actually done the maths on this

Le King wrote: »
    I very much doubt that Chelsea would be in the top four.

I don't think Chelsea would get into a world top 10.We will never know and I suppose thats part of the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't think Chelsea would get into a world top 10.We will never know and I suppose thats part of the fun.

Would say they would, if they are genuine fans or not is another thing, the Premiership is obviously hugely popular and London is a big pull for many people and Chelsea have done well in recent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I would have thought Arsenal> Spurs > Chelsea in terms of fans in London/England ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

d22ontour wrote: »
    I would have thought Arsenal> Spurs > Chelsea in terms of fans in London/England ?

I think the fact that the study included Eastern Europe and included Russia would be a big pull for Chelsea

that a lot in it to be honest 10 people in relation to the population of ireland compared to 10,000 people in relation to the population of europe id it might be closer than you would think

*I havent actually done the maths on this

I've had a go at the maths - your survey interviewed 1 in every 500,000 of the Irish population (based on 5 million).

The survey interviewed 1 in every 73100 (based on a European population of 731,000,000).

In terms of Ireland though I think the size of each of the super threads on Boards gives a reasonable idea of the relative support of clubs.

I've had a go at the maths - your survey interviewed 1 in every 500,000 of the Irish population (based on 5 million).

The survey interviewed 1 in every 73100 (based on a European population of 731,000,000).

In terms of Ireland though I think the size of each of the super threads on Boards gives a reasonable idea of the relative support of clubs.

ireland is closer to 4 million and europe is closer to 850 million iirc

but the point till stands neither survey has any credibility

ireland is closer to 4 million and europe is closer to 850 million iirc

but the point till stands neither survey has any credibility

Why not - have you seen the metrics used to carry out the first one ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement