Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - should I get a full service prior to NCT

Options
  • 11-09-2010 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hey, I have my first NCT coming up soon and was just wondering what people's opinions are...

Is it better to just do the NCT and have a list of problems to be fixed for your mechanic to follow, or to get a full service first and then hope that it passes?

Doing the test first makes it highly likely you'll have to re-test. Getting a service first could involve paying for parts that you don't need changed as well as the labour costs.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I tell you what I do.

I always try to keep my cars in very good and obviously roadworthy condition, and then when NCT comes up, I just go and pass. I do nothing intentionally before NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    Is it better to just do the NCT and have a list of problems to be fixed for your mechanic to follow

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you know the answer yourself. Do nothing except normal oil & filter change if it happens to be due. DO NOT pay a mechanic for a pre NCT test or for any repairs prior to the test unless you can see an obvious certain failure item.
    You may fail the test but it costs less than €30 to retest and at least that way you know that any repairs you are paying for are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

CiniO wrote: »
    I tell you what I do.

I always try to keep my cars in very good and obviously roadworthy condition, and then when NCT comes up, I just go and pass. I do nothing intentionally before NCT.
    Good plan. I'll probably do that if I ever get a job.

I've had the car 2 years now and not had any problems with it. Hard to go to a mechanic regularly if there isn't any obvious problem - especially when unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i didnt do anything to my car before the nct, took hubcaps off, emptied boot, cleaned the inside a bit, it failed on a weak handbrake, i got that adjusted for €25, went back and it passed, and my car is 10 years old,
    some garages will be honest and try guess what it will fail on and fix it and some will make up problems to get business,

is it the cars first test or your first test??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If your car is due a service, even if its a few thousand km before its due, then put it thru a normal service (oil, filters, plugs, pads etc). If this has been done recently or it is quite a way off needing a service then this is not necessary.

Do not pay for a pre-NCT or any of that rubbish; put it thru the test and let them tell you what needs to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Run it through, let them see what needs doing (if anything), fix it, run it through again.

excellent. Seems to be a fair amount of consensus here. I was gonna get a pre-nct service. Wont bother now. Thanks

Blade: Both. It's an old car (97 Almera), but I had it in UK first. So previous owner had it MOT'd over there. I've never tested a car before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I've had the car 2 years now and not had any problems with it. Hard to go to a mechanic regularly if there isn't any obvious problem - especially when unemployed.

Not really. It's called a service, not a fix-me-when-I'm-broke :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

My advice is, unless there is something obvious wrong with it like a brake light bulb not working, then I wouldn't touch it. There is no better preparation for the NCT than the test itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I take the point of view of keeping the car in good shape by having a regular service and then just stick it into the NCT. Regular servicing is important and the NCT just makes sure people keep their car in good shape.

I won't do a pre-NCT check though. It doesn't guarantee anything so IMO is a waste. If you've kept it in good condition there should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Good plan. I'll probably do that if I ever get a job.

I don't remember when was the last time I visited mechanic.
    If you are unemployed, I assume you have loads of time, so just check a car yourself.
    If you don't know how, you can always learn - On internet you can find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

excellent. Seems to be a fair amount of consensus here. I was gonna get a pre-nct service. Wont bother now. Thanks

Blade: Both. It's an old car (97 Almera), but I had it in UK first. So previous owner had it MOT'd over there. I've never tested a car before

ah i thought it was the cars first test, but still i would just make sure the obvious things on the list are done, as said remove hubcaps, make sure seatbelts are visible, empty the boot,
    i definetly wouldnt pay for a pre nct test anyway! as long as there is nothing drastically wrong with the car!!
    a retest is €28,

CiniO wrote: »
    I don't remember when was the last time I visited mechanic.
    If you are unemployed, I assume you have loads of time, so just check a car yourself.
    If you don't know how, you can always learn - On internet you can find anything.
    You're right... Actually got a 'car mechanics for dummies' type book a few weeks ago to do just that. Kinda slow going as I was fairly ignorant of that stuff, but it's interesting too

Advertisement