Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage Certificate

• 11-09-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hi

Below is a marriage certificate between John Ovens and Margaret Dundas. My great great grandfather & grandmother They were married in 1878 in Slavin. There are some areas of the certificate I am uncertain about and need help.

So far I have got 1878 Marriage solemnized at ...... in the parish of Slavin in the ...... (fermanagh?)
    When Married: .... 14th
    Name and Surname: John A Ovens, Margaret Dundas
    Condition: Bachelor, Spinister
    Rank or Profession: farmer
    Residence: Gortnalee, Drumbad
    Fathers Name: John ........ , James Dundas
    Rank or Profession: Farmer, Farmer

Married in the church of slavin according - and Ireland by ....... by me ........

If anyone can help me fill in the blanks id appreciate it
    2z58ytv.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭timespast

Slavin in the parish of Slavin...... Co Fermanagh (Slavin is in Fermanagh)

Father Ovens or Owens too.

I think the date is July.

I would ring the R.C.B. in Dublin and ask if records for Slavin survived the fire and compare to Parish records but their records (if they exist) might be basic.

Another good tip is to google Ovens Slavin Rootsweb...... you might find other researchers with the same interest.

Have a look at the following site........ note the other areas as Slavin seems to come under another Parish.

http://www.belleek.clogher.anglican.org/hclergy.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

I remember looking up for the parish records and reading online which records were destroyed in the fire and slavin was one of them.
    Im trying to trace who John's parents were but at least I have the townland, just need to find out the mothers name now.

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

According to the book "A Table of CoI parochial records and copies", PRONI has copy records for Slavin, some were destroyed but 1878 is intact for marriages. It also seems to suggest that there are some in local custody.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I found a marriage in 1849 of a John Ovens and Faithful Campbell in Magheracross , Co Fermanagh.

Check out the distance involved (can't be that far considering it's Fermanagh) and it was traditional to marry in the bride's parish anyway.

Good luck.

I know of Magheracross and its a long distance from Garrison.
    I found a few different of possible spouses around the date.
    All I know is that the family home is Gortnalee in Garrison during the wedding.

John went and lived in Drumbad with Margaret and went to Slavin church once they got married. I noticed there was an Arthur Ovens living in Gortnalee in 1900 which I assume to be a brother of John.
    I tried searching the 1901 census for John Senior (John's father) but he must have died as none of the ages/families fit right.

• Advertisement

Cookie33 wrote: »
    I know of Magheracross and its a long distance from Garrison.
    I found a few different of possible spouses around the date.
    All I know is that the family home is Gortnalee in Garrison during the wedding.

John went and lived in Drumbad with Margaret and went to Slavin church once they got married. I noticed there was an Arthur Ovens living in Gortnalee in 1900 which I assume to be a brother of John.
    I tried searching the 1901 census for John Senior (John's father) but he must have died as none of the ages/families fit right.

There is a death of a John Ovens in 1900 in the reg. district of Ballshannon Co Donegal. Born c1805 (given he was 95 its possible the age could be a few years out)
    Garrison is only around 14 miles away from Ballyshannon .....and I do know registrations from Fermanagh were made there. (Enniskillen being a lot further away)
    I'd go for the death cert. from the GRO in Roscommon as it would be interesting who is present at death and of course his addss.

timespast wrote: »
    There is a death of a John Ovens in 1900 in the reg. district of Ballshannon Co Donegal. Born c1805 (given he was 95 its possible the age could be a few years out)
    Garrison is only around 14 miles away from Ballyshannon .....and I do know registrations from Fermanagh were made there. (Enniskillen being a lot further away)
    I'd go for the death cert. from the GRO in Roscommon as it would be interesting who is present at death and of course his addss.

Sounds promising. The problem is I only know John's father is called John and in 1878 the family home was in Gortnalee. (My mum says there are Ovens living in Gortnalee atm but my Granny reckons they are not related to us.)
    This makes me think they never moved but I understand about Ballyshannon cos its not that far from Garrison.
    I don't want to apply for the death certificate because what if the person presented at the death was not John (which I don't think so when there's an Arthur living in Gortnalee in 1900) I would have no way of proving its the same family.

Would a birth certificate of John junior show mother and father? I thought the marriage certificate would have

Sounds promising. The problem is I only know John's father is called John and in 1878 the family home was in Gortnalee. (My mum says there are Ovens living in Gortnalee atm but my Granny reckons they are not related to us.)
    This makes me think they never moved but I understand about Ballyshannon cos its not that far from Garrison.
    I don't want to apply for the death certificate because what if the person presented at the death was not John (which I don't think so when there's an Arthur living in Gortnalee in 1900) I would have no way of proving its the same family.

Would a birth certificate of John junior show mother and father? I thought the marriage certificate would have

The birth cert. would show both parents. You'll only get that if post 1864......otherwise baptism only.

Im a bit confused....... What's Arthur being in Gortnalee in 1901 to do with it?

There is a death of a John Ovens 1900........ in the mid 1800's there is a John Ovens at Gortnalee (46 acres)

You say your ancestor was from Gortnalee or was it Garrison? when marrying in 1878....his father was John Ovens....reg district for that was Ballyshannon. To be honest you have no choice but to buy the cert. You can't do this by....what if it's wrong? You gather all the evidence that's available and come to a conclusion.

timespast wrote: »
    The birth cert. would show both parents. You'll only get that if post 1864......otherwise baptism only.

Im a bit confused....... What's Arthur being in Gortnalee in 1901 to do with it?

There is a death of a John Ovens 1900........ in the mid 1800's there is a John Ovens at Gortnalee (46 acres)

You say your ancestor was from Gortnalee or was it Garrison? when marrying in 1878....his father was John Ovens....reg district for that was Ballyshannon. To be honest you have no choice but to buy the cert. You can't do this by....what if it's wrong? You gather all the evidence that's available and come to a conclusion.

I think Arthur is another son of John senior and could have lived at the farmstead when he got married.
    John junior had 3 sons john james, dundas and arthur. This family had a thing of keeping the same names in the family which gets confusing.

Anyway I'm gonna do some more research on the father and then probably buy the death certificate as it seems to be my only option. Other option could be to buy a baptism certificate providing the information is available

Thanks for all your help on this matter :)

I think Arthur is another son of John senior and could have lived at the farmstead when he got married.
    John junior had 3 sons john james, dundas and arthur. This family had a thing of keeping the same names in the family which gets confusing.

Anyway I'm gonna do some more research on the father and then probably buy the death certificate as it seems to be my only option. Other option could be to buy a baptism certificate providing the information is available

Thanks for all your help on this matter :)

No problem at all.......Im sure you'll find they are all the same family.

If Arthur is older than John that would explain him having the home.......if Arthur was the eldest lad in the family this would more than likely be John senior's Father name.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement