Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Chrome affecting internet explorer?

• 11-09-2010 1:27am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I did a search but couldn't see if this has appeared before among the issues with Google Chrome.

On a previous computer I found that when Chrome was installed Explorer became much slower so I decided not to bother on my new computer.

However, I just downloaded winzip and it seems to have installed chrome automatically on my computer as well (odd that, since I didn't know they were related companies).

Anyway, as soon as it was downloaded explorer became very slow and only the first open tab would work i.e. if a link opened a new window/tab it wouldn't load. Also, it stopped loading pages that weren't accessed through google e.g. typing www.amazon.co.uk into the address bar did nothing but putting amazon into google brought it up and it worked fine.

Maybe I'm paranoid and maybe this should be in conspiracies or something, but does Chrome change the registry settings on your computer such that it affects explorer? If so, is this intentional by google?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I've never seen Chrome affect IE unless the Chrome extension for IE was installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

An add-on might be causing these kinds of problems in Internet Explorer.

Try running IE without any add-ons. Click on the Start menu, to All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Try and re-create the errors in IE (NA). If you can't then I'd bet that an add-on is causing the problems.

To determine which add-on is causing you problems, open Internet Explorer normally. Click on Tools, then Manage Add-ons. In the window that appears you can enable and disable add-ons as well as see how long it takes to load an add-on. To see all the add-ons, go to Show towards the left of that window and select All add-ons from the list.

You should try disabling add-ons one by one, and then attempting to re-create your problems in IE. When you find the add-on that's giving you grief then you can disable it.

Hope that helps. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks for that, will give it a shot.

It just struck me as odd that as soon as chrome was installed and working fine that IE crashed.

Will have a look at the add ons to see if anything can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You got any toolbars on your IE, get rid, most of them spy on You as You browse and report back what pages You visit slowing down Your browser. Even the Google one is nasty, uninstall it in add/remove programs

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I find it hard to understand why people are still using internet explorer. There are many better, safer and faster browsers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It's actually an optical illusion. You see, once you download and use a decent browser (chrome, firefox, opera etc.) you become familiar with the real fast paced world of the internet. Then, when you go back to use IE, you didn't realise how slow it was running before and it makes you think your machine has issues. A lot of people experience this.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You got any toolbars on your IE, get rid, most of them spy on You as You browse and report back what pages You visit slowing down Your browser. Even the Google one is nasty, uninstall it in add/remove programs

Agreed, I believe Google Chrome to be a data mining tool, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭ted1

.Net and aspx Are the only reason to keep using ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 itmonkey

I saw this just the other day with a client computer. When he installed Chrom Windows Firewall blocked Internet Explorer access. Check the exceptions in your firewall or turn it off and test, if IE works then you know it's your firewall.

Advertisement