Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT: Travelling home from the States for a family bereavement

Options
  • 11-09-2010 3:10am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can give advice on how to get home from the States urgently for a family bereavement.
    A family member is stuck in L.A. X although may have flown to Newark by morning.
    Any help very gratefully appreciated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Sorry for the loss. I would have suggested Virgin Atlantic from LAX to Heathrow (direct flight), then back to Ireland from whatever UK airport was most convenient for the flight into Ireland (Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead ...)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thank you for your response.
    The person was originally booked with Continental.
    I don't know much about international travel.
    Why would you suggest Virgin?
    Are they particularly accomadating?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I have no idea if this is any use to you OP, but this seems to be a list of flights leaving LA to Dublin (via connecting flight) tonight.

I also presume that it quotes 10/9/2010 because of the time difference between here and the states if you're confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Virgin have a flight leaving LAX at 17.35 USA time saturday and arrives sunday at 20.00 our time. cost will be bout 800 dollars

Or from New york newark - a flight leaves at 21.10 saturday USA time and you will arrive in dublin 12.35 sunday irish time. that flight will cost bout 650 dollars and its with virgin also.

Just get in touch with this family member, then book the ticket with a credit card - forward the information on like flight number and thats all you need really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Hermy wrote: »
    Why would you suggest Virgin?
    Are they particularly accomadating?
    Direct flight from LAX to LON (10.50-ish hours), reliable, IME accommodating, comfortable restfully configured planes (Airbus 3xx) and lots of options for onward travel from LON.

I'm sure there are other airlines / options, but my recommendation is based on personal and family experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I know the op - and just to mention the person was on holidays in america so is short on cash and has a return ticket home so is hoping to get a cheaper flight..

Well get the person to ask his airline can he/she change the flight, some airlines allow you to change the flight date for a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Yep that's what they are trying to do

Dublin, Ireland

1890 925 252
    1850 946 187 (OnePass Service Centre)
    00 800 5555 8000 (continental.com Support)

theres continetals numbers - but i thinks its a 9-17.00

they also have bereavment/compassion fares

Continental requires the following information at the time of purchase for compassion fares:

Name of the relative
    Relationship to the customer
    Name, address and telephone number of funeral home, hospice, or hospital
    Name of doctor (if applicable)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

sorry for your loss
    ask that arrangements in ireland wait for one or two days?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for all the replies - it's been sorted.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement