Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you racist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

. When is the last time you saw a Nigerian/Romanian in a job centre or at an interview?

How would I know a Nigerian if I saw one? Can they be identified by their shade of blackness?
    As for Romanians - really, have you learned nothing from this thread?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Nodin wrote: »
    How would you know a Nigerian if you saw one?
    How would you know a Romanian if you saw one?
    Usually go around in groups (more hands to stroke with)/ Kids in tow/ Long dresses to hide what they stroke/ usually running from a shop with a security guard/shop owner giving chase.........;)
    Tall/Coloured/Leather Jacket/Bling/ And a big chip on his shoulder like the rest of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Usually go around in groups (more hands to stroke with)/ Kids in tow/ Long dresses to hide what they stroke/ usually running from a shop with a security guard/shop owner giving chase.........;)

Kindly re-edit that post, as some of your words are made to appear as mine.

Tall/Coloured/Leather Jacket/Bling/ And a big chip on his shoulder like the rest of em.

I'll take that as meaning 'Black=Nigerian'. You've some cheek to be talking about chips on shoulders, IMO.
    .......... Long dresses ........

Thats probably Roma, not Romanian. Bosnians also do the long skirts, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 edwardhitler

Im not racist but i hate the japanese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

dvpower wrote: »
    How would I know a Nigerian if I saw one? Can they be identified by their shade of blackness?
    As for Romanians - really, have you learned nothing from this thread?:rolleyes:
    yes they can be seen as black 99.99% of the time,but certain tossers will argue regardless.

digme wrote: »
    yes they can be seen as black 99.99% of the time,but certain tossers will argue regardless.

...what in the name of jaysus......

digme wrote: »

Get a Venn diagram. Draw it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Look. My opinion is that Russians/Poles/Chinese/Indians are good people and have always contributed to our economy.

I hope you're kidding about the underlined here! Do you realize how many poles/russians work here to send money back to their own economy! This is not just an assumption I have worked with poles/russians during our "celtic tiger" and even then they were sending money home! Don't give me any of this "those other fu**ers are leechers when you clearly don't know what's going on.

Do you even know the amount that they send home? They shop in Polish/Russian shops not in Irish owned. The same with pubs and off-licenses. Oh did you even know that after they went home during our recession that they were claiming the dole from OUR economy and it was being sent to them. They are scammers of the system!!

Rant over

They shop in Polish/Russian shops not in Irish owned.
    You mean they don't shop in Tesco, Lidl and Aldi like the rest of us?
    The bastards.

• Advertisement

You mean they don't shop in Tesco, Lidl and Aldi like the rest of us?
    The bastards.

I was thinking more along the lines of Superquinn, Dunnes etc

What drives racism? Last night I got a taxi to my door with a sound Dublin taxi driver which cost 17euro, last week I was in a car foreign national who tried to charge me 32 euro!

I hope you're kidding about the underlined here! Do you realize how many poles/russians work here to send money back to their own economy!

So they didn't pay taxes, rent, electricity etc?

Do you even know the amount that they send home?

Why, do you?
    They shop in Polish/Russian shops not in Irish owned.

Those shops don't pay taxes, rent, electricity, rates and the rest?

As a matter of interest - is Aldi, Lidl, Marks and Spencers or Tescos irish owned?
    The same with pubs and off-licenses.

...which presumably paid taxes, rent, electricity rates and the like....

How many Russian and Polish owned pubs and off licences are there as a proportion of the total in the country?

Oh did you even know that after they went home during our recession that they were claiming the dole from OUR economy and it was being sent to them.

Its the stamps, not the dole, and its money they paid in previously.

What drives racism? Last night I got a taxi to my door with a sound Dublin taxi driver which cost 17euro, last week I was in a car foreign national who tried to charge me 32 euro!

Them cork fellahs are terrible.....

I was thinking more along the lines of Superquinn, Dunnes etc
    Right so. Now I understand.

If you shop in Tesco, Lidl or Aldi, you're a leech.
    Its OK to shop in the privately held Dunnes Stores where your money goes to top up the Dunnes family fortune of >€500m.
    Or Superquinn, also privately owned by a consortium of 7 wealthy financiers and property developers.

I normally pay whats on the meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

As the days go by I am finding myself leaning more and more in the direction of answer no.1. Partly this is due to not enjoying the feeling of seeing your country getting raped on a daily basis by people who arrive here on the basis of a lie and have nothing to contribute except increasing the costs of clothing, feeding, accomodating and providing for the health care of them and all of their children from now until the end of fcuking time.

Seems like i have a few people that agree with me.;)

Morlar wrote: »
    As the days go by I am finding myself leaning more and more in the direction of answer no.1. Partly this is due to not enjoying the feeling of seeing your country getting raped on a daily basis by people who arrive here on the basis of a lie and have nothing to contribute except increasing the costs of clothing, feeding, accomodating and providing for the health care of them and all of their children from now until the end of fcuking time.

Well nobody wants the country "raped".

Just as a matter of interest - I've not been able to discover this myself - what country did Michael Fingleton, David Drumm and Sean Fitzpatrick arrive here from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Seems like i have a few people that agree with me.;)

That doesn't make you right, it just makes you stupid in a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Well nobody wants the country "raped".

Just as a matter of interest - I've not been able to discover this myself - what country did Michael Fingleton, David Drumm and Sean Fitzpatrick arrive here from?

How does this translate into justifying importing/adopting yet more drains on our resources all the way from africa ?

PS
    Nice to see your typical jaded disingenous bullsh1t stock responses are a sharp as ever. Exactly how many people do you think you are convincing with this drivel ?

Snakeblood wrote: »
    That doesn't make you right, it just makes you stupid in a group.
    Why does my choice not to like someone/race etc make me look stupid?
    I'll make my own choices. I bet you like everyone?;)

And BTW.
    I think Michael Fingleton, David Drumm and Sean Fitzpatrick are the s c u m of the earth for what they did to our country.

So they didn't pay taxes, rent, electricity etc?

Oh no they did in shared accommodation with up to 10 couples in a house, I know this from what I was told.

Why, do you?
    Not to the exact cent but along the lines of hundreds of thousands, there was a survey done on it if you didn't know

Those shops don't pay taxes, rent, electricity, rates and the rest?
    Again they do on Irish soil where an Irish business could be

As a matter of interest - is Aldi, Lidl, Marks and Spencers or Tescos irish owned?

...which presumably paid taxes, rent, electricity rates and the like....

I answered that already and mentioned Superquinn and Dunnes
    How many Russian and Polish owned pubs and off licences are there as a proportion of the total in the country?

Well if I worked in that area I would know but seeing as though I don't I obviously can't answer that. I wouldn't say a huge proportion but probably around 30% of each county.

Its the stamps, not the dole, and its money they paid in previously.

So if you were to work over there you would be able to claim back here? I don't think so.

I suppose you believe in equal rights and all that.....but were you in Poland when the Irish went there to work and on nearly every building site and indeed some shops below the help wanted sign was another sign stating "NO IRISH". Fact!

Why does my choice not to like someone/race etc make me look stupid?
    I'll make my own choices. I bet you like everyone?;)

Because it's blanket and blinkered and ignorant.

I make my decisions on who I like on the person, not the race. Otherwise I probably wouldn't get on with my adopted brother.

• Advertisement

Because it's blanket and blinkered and ignorant.

I make my decisions on who I like on the person, not the race. Otherwise I probably wouldn't get on with my adopted brother.
    Well lets not get personal about it. I'm talking in general. I'm sure your adopted brother is the salt of the earth.

How does this translate into justifying importing/adopting yet more drains on our resources all the way from africa ?

We're importing Africans now? Holy jaysus.....

Nice to see your typical jaded disingenous bullsh1t stock responses are a sharp as ever. Exactly how many people do you think you are convincing with this drivel ?

Drivel eh?

I'd say as long as people can count, I'm not convincing anyone, just preaching to the converted...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0812/1224276632260.html

Well lets not get personal about it. I'm talking in general. I'm sure your adopted brother is the salt of the earth.

And I'm sure you're stupid, because of your personal general attitude to minorities. Back away from it if you like once someone goes 'Actually, these people you are generalising about as a group are really individuals'. It just highlights how stupid your position is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Oh no they did in shared accommodation with up to 10 couples in a house, I know this from what I was told.

Not to the exact cent but along the lines of hundreds of thousands, there was a survey done on it if you didn't know

I answered that already and mentioned Superquinn and Dunnes

Well if I worked in that area I would know but seeing as though I don't I obviously can't answer that. I wouldn't say a huge proportion but probably around 30% of each county.

So if you were to work over there you would be able to claim back here? I don't think so.

I suppose you believe in equal rights and all that.....but were you in Poland when the Irish went there to work and on nearly every building site and indeed some shops below the help wanted sign was another sign stating "NO IRISH". Fact!

:rolleyes: Nearly everything you have written here is badly informed opinion, not backed up with any sources. It sounds like the equivalent of the Tea Party in America, all noise, no substance. Friend, your argument will go much better if you stick to what you know and can prove, rather than your guesses, such as 30% of pubs are foreign guess or the building sites in Poland lies.

And I'm sure you're stupid, because of your personal general attitude to minorities. Back away from it if you like once someone goes 'Actually, these people you are generalising about as a group are really individuals'. It just highlights how stupid your position is.
    Couldn't care less about Individuals. I still don't care for Nigerians/Romanians. (Even if your adopted brother is one.) That's just my opinion.;)

• Advertisement

Couldn't care less about Individuals. I still don't care for Nigerians/Romanians. (Even if your adopted brother is one.) That's just my opinion.;)

I didn't say you couldn't have an opinion, just that it's stupid.

So let me get this right.
    Lets say Joe Irishman employs 30 or 40 people up until the recession hits. Joe goes to social welfare and gets told he's entitled to nada.
    Then Paddy the Nigerian/Romanian comes over from their country having done nothing all their life. They head in the social welfare and hit the jackpot. rent/house/moola/childrens allowance/free school etc.

Where's the justification in that eh?

We have a system here of paying PRSI on earnings. This entitles a person to claim Job Seekers Benefit (hint: the I in PRSI stands for "Insurance").
    Most other european countries have a similar social insurance fund that entitles people who paid in to the fund to make a claim on it should they lose their jobs.
    I await evidence for this 'fact'.

Look after our own first is all i'm saying. We give enough to charity etc.................

I normally pay whats on the meter.

Reall? When you are dragged around on scenic route by someone who has no idea where they are? Well done!

We have a system here of paying PRSI on earnings. This entitles a person to claim Job Seekers Benefit (hint: the I in PRSI stands for "Insurance").
    Most other european countries have a similar social insurance fund that entitles people who paid in to the fund to make a claim on it should they lose their jobs.

I await evidence for this 'fact'.

Look here.
    http://www.polishforums.com/archives/2009/polonia-uk-ireland-31/no-irish-need-apply-polish-builders-get-own-back-31217/

And here
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-irish-need-apply--polish-builders-get-their-own-back-1589265.html;)

Lets say Joe Irishman employs 30 or 40 people up until the recession hits. Joe goes to social welfare and gets told he's entitled to nada.
    Then Paddy the Nigerian/Romanian comes over from their country having done nothing all their life. They head in the social welfare and hit the jackpot. rent/house/moola/childrens allowance/free school etc.

Then Paddy the Irishman who has done nothing all their life heads in to the social welfare and hit the jackpot. rent/house/moola/childrens allowance/free school etc.

See, you can point out an injustice without resorting to racism. Mind you, the vast majority of foreigners, like the vast majority of Irish people want to work and make a contribution. I'd say that if you are willing to relocate yourself to another country, its even more likely that you're the type of person who wants to work and get on in life.

When did Romanians become the hate figures de jour?

You have a blanket opinion which you are applying to all Nigerians\Romanians. Someone comes to you and says 'Actually, I have an adopted brother' you instantly say you are sure he's ok. You don't know anything about him. My brother could steal cars for all you know.

But you'll instantly change your opinion because you're not only stupid but a moral coward, and your stupid ill informed opinion is based on your stupid ill informed feelings, and not on logic or actual facts which would tell you that it's not all nigerians or romanians who are cheating the system (although some are).

You don't want to think.

It's pathetic really.

Reall? When you are dragged around on scenic route by someone who has no idea where they are? Well done!
    More fool you.

More fool you.

That can actually be a reasonable complaint. If someone's carting you around the wrong way because they don't A) know the way or B) use GPS (which isn't ideal) it sucks.

I was in a taxi going to an interview, hadn't a clue where the place was exactly, but saw it going past on the M50, and my driver had a breakdown and took half the fare off.

• Advertisement

What? That story is suppossed to be evidence for:

"I suppose you believe in equal rights and all that.....but were you in Poland when the Irish went there to work and on nearly every building site and indeed some shops below the help wanted sign was another sign stating "NO IRISH". Fact!"

Indo wrote:
    'NO Irish need apply' - the signs are already going up on building sites abroad in a throwback to the grim days of the the last century.
    But this time they are starting to appear in Poland as that country takes its revenge for the way in which some unscrupulous Irish contractors treated their countrymen during the years of the Celtic Tiger.

Is that the best you can do?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Ok, I don't know if I am?? I try to treat everyone with respect in my dealings with them but I really don't like the sexism and human/gay rights abuses in the middle east and I don't like the lack of personal freedoms in China. Hmmm so I don't know if I am? Like I completely disagree with alot of other cultures ways of doing things but I don't take that out on people I know in person, like I've muslim, jewish, chinese friends and so forth, anyone know what that's called?

curlzy wrote: »
    Ok, I don't know if I am?? I try to treat everyone with respect in my dealings with them but I really don't like the sexism and human/gay rights abuses in the middle east and I don't like the lack of personal freedoms in China. Hmmm so I don't know if I am? Like I completely disagree with alot of other cultures ways of doing things but I don't take that out on people I know in person, like I've muslim, jewish, chinese friends and so forth, anyone know what that's called?

Disagreeing with political/social systems, not people....? Common sense, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

anyone know what that's called?

Rational person or race traitor, depending on who you ask.

That makes sense. The problem is that some people get lost in the logical transition e.g.

"They treat gay people very badly in <insert country>, so much that the gay people come over here. <insert country> sickens me. I hate those bastards. We definitely shouldn't let them in here."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Ah thanks :D for clearing that up somewhat. I really wasn't sure about that one, it's actually been something in the back of my head for a while, like I know it's judgemental but sure we all have to be judgemental in some ways, to stop being judgemental completely would be to give up your beliefs I suppose? I'm going to ask my very, very, very, educated friend Clare later, I bet she knows a word for it.

I hope it's a silly sounding word.

So because somebody told you that Poles/"Russians" share - up to 20 people in a house (size unspecified) - you take this as absolute fact....

You've a link to this survey?

What percentage was this of what they paid into the economy?

Like Sony, Dell, Google, Ikea, all major tour operators, O2, Guinness and countless others.....all of whom also contribute to the Irish economy....

As above.

30% of each county? My, they've been busy little bees. I thought the pub trade was in steep decline, going by 'de meedja'.

You'll forgive me asking but where did you get that figure from?

Its the law, you'll find. EU and all that.
    I suppose you believe in equal rights and all that..

Yep, depraved, rabid, immoral satanic bastard that I am.
    ...but were you in Poland when the Irish went there to work and on nearly every building site and indeed some shops below the help wanted sign was another sign stating "NO IRISH". Fact!

A rumour, never proven, and - were it to have occurred - one that could have been prosecuted.

I hope it's a silly sounding word.

If it's any further help, some would say you are a universalist (as opposed to a cultural relativist) and some would go further and describe you as an ethnocentrist - but don't let anyone put any tag on you.

If it's any further help, some would say you are a universalist (as opposed to a cultural relativist) and some would go further and describe you as an ethnocentrist - but don't let anyone put any tag on you.

They'd be fairly big tags to have, in fairness. You'd need one on either side of the jacket to balance it.

• Advertisement

A rumour, never proven, and - were it to have occurred - one that could have been prosecuted.

I'm not saying that "No Irish" signs story is definitely a hoax, but if they were really there, why aren't there pictures accompanying the newspaper article? I couldn't find any under Google images either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement