Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

general question

• 11-09-2010 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi guys ,this is my first post here,but Im reading this forum few years now:-)
    My financial situation is not good so here is a few questions.
    I worked since I finished school 4 years,then lost a job ,now Jb is finished,and I mnot eligible for Ja cause my wife is working f-time.Shes earnings 2000 to 2200 around-monthly.We are renting ap for 700 ,we v got 350 euros loan.And now I started to study.Couldnt find any job.And the worse(or the best)is my wife iss pregnant second month:-)
    But now,Im so stressed,dont know what to think.I applied for Maintanance Grant(as I read maybe I will be eligible for 800 euros),but nto sure I will get.Anyway its not too much:-(
    Maybe somebody know about any other possible help for mine situation?
    No gp,no medical card,no help from any sources:-(
    Thank you for reading this guys.Maybe somebody make my feelings better...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

arturekck wrote: »
    Hi guys ,this is my first post here,but Im reading this forum few years now:-)
    My financial situation is not good so here is a few questions.
    I worked since I finished school 4 years,then lost a job ,now Jb is finished,and I mnot eligible for Ja cause my wife is working f-time.Shes earnings 2000 to 2200 around-monthly.We are renting ap for 700 ,we v got 350 euros loan.And now I started to study.Couldnt find any job.And the worse(or the best)is my wife iss pregnant second month:-)
    But now,Im so stressed,dont know what to think.I applied for Maintanance Grant(as I read maybe I will be eligible for 800 euros),but nto sure I will get.Anyway its not too much:-(
    Maybe somebody know about any other possible help for mine situation?
    No gp,no medical card,no help from any sources:-(
    Thank you for reading this guys.Maybe somebody make my feelings better...

Students tend not to earn a lot of money. You might consider postponing study given the circumstances.
    I'm not sure about your job situation. Is it not possible to find a job anywhere?? Even a minimum wage job will bring in €15k, giving you a combined income of over €40k (not too shabby).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 arturekck

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Students tend not to earn a lot of money. You might consider postponing study given the circumstances.
    I'm not sure about your job situation. Is it not possible to find a job anywhere?? Even a minimum wage job will bring in €15k, giving you a combined income of over €40k (not too shabby).

Thank you for reply.You know It was always my dream to be a soccer coach(even just children coach),but never had time,always work,work,work.I decided to study when my last job is finished,cause Im 26,and getting older and older;-).I knew it will be hard,but now thinking ,maybe I should anyway try to find a job even for minimum like a....That s the question Like what????
    There is no job,worked as crane operator,van driver,worked for agencies,and even sushiman!
    But I dont know what now..Mcdonalds?Street?
    You see easy to say ,harder to decide...And I ve got hope after education more doors will open for me.

I haven't got any advice, I'm afraid, but I've been in the same situation. I wanted to further my education and therefore increase my chances of being employable, but simply couldn't afford to do it. So while your intentions are certainly wise, it will be a difficult one, since sitting at home costs nothing, whereas travelling, eating, etc. while studying can often just be more going out than can be afforded. I quit college for this reason alone, just couldn't afford the train fare anymore.

Yep, but unfortunately college is really the easy way out. Just look how many graduates are in the dole queue.

It's fine if you get btea - college may be profitable, especially if you got a part-time job.

Otherwise, it's not pretty. Basically your household income would take a cut of €10k from €34k to €24k, yet you face increases expenses of college fees, books, transport, photocopying cards, nappies, baby food, gp visits for mother and baby, hospital fees, baby clothes, buggies, and childcare.

It's just so crazy that only now you ask "but now thinking ,maybe I should anyway try to find a job even for minimum"... Yes, McDonald's is an option. So is Tesco. So are jobs as hotel workers, kitchen and cleaning staff, callcentre staff, takeaways, pubs, nightclubs, cinemas, cafes. There are jobs out there.

If you get a grant, go to college and make sure to get a part-time job. Otherwise, I don't see how you can even contemplate college. If your wife was happy enough to continue working fulltime after having a baby, obviously she would expect you to be a stay at home husband.

Sorry I can't give you more advice on state benefits. I'd assume your wife could claim more benefits as she supports you as a dependent adult. Or perhaps you would be eligible for a reduced payment of unemployment assistance.

PS about 4 years ago I decided to go back to college to do a course I liked. In the end, I couldn't afford it either so I got a job on €20k in a callcentre. It covered rent, bills and running a car and little else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 arturekck

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Yep, but unfortunately college is really the easy way out. Just look how many graduates are in the dole queue.

It's fine if you get btea - college may be profitable, especially if you got a part-time job.

Otherwise, it's not pretty. Basically your household income would take a cut of €10k from €34k to €24k, yet you face increases expenses of college fees, books, transport, photocopying cards, nappies, baby food, gp visits for mother and baby, hospital fees, baby clothes, buggies, and childcare.

It's just so crazy that only now you ask "but now thinking ,maybe I should anyway try to find a job even for minimum"... Yes, McDonald's is an option. So is Tesco. So are jobs as hotel workers, kitchen and cleaning staff, callcentre staff, takeaways, pubs, nightclubs, cinemas, cafes. There are jobs out there.

If you get a grant, go to college and make sure to get a part-time job. Otherwise, I don't see how you can even contemplate college. If your wife was happy enough to continue working fulltime after having a baby, obviously she would expect you to be a stay at home husband.

Sorry I can't give you more advice on state benefits. I'd assume your wife could claim more benefits as she supports you as a dependent adult. Or perhaps you would be eligible for a reduced payment of unemployment assistance.

PS about 4 years ago I decided to go back to college to do a course I liked. In the end, I couldn't afford it either so I got a job on €20k in a callcentre. It covered rent, bills and running a car and little else.

I know it will be hard,really thats why Im so confused,and trying to find any suggestions.Just wasnt easy to get into the course(500 people-25 luckies),and like I said it was always my dream.I dont know but this is my path,take a look
    Level 5 sport recreation-1 year,level6 Advanced Certificate sport recreation(kick off 2 included)-2 years and then youth certificate in Fai -45 hours.
    So after 3 and half years It will be a possibility to work as a coach,just have to survive these years.I know with a child wont be easy:-(
    Even imposible,but maybe a family help me a bit then.You know,or maybe dont I m not Irish ,Im polish and also I need to speak english fluently,as I dont ,now.Need improve it...
    Just dont wanna miss my life,if I f m not gonna to step forward,I will go back I f you know what I mean.And what later when child will be for example 6,7 years old?What he can say to his friend at school about his daddy??
    What will be his future if daddy working in mcdonalds?
    Just thinking about the future.About part time job-yes I mn trying to find anything,but Im not lucky at the moment.Thinking to find a job as newspaper man on the street or something like that,maybe mcdonalds(but it will be easier to work everywhere when you know You are working to gain more skills in Insitute)or kitchen porter.And in the end colud you explain me this:
    You:
    I'd assume your wife could claim more benefits as she supports you as a dependent adult. Or perhaps you would be eligible for a reduced payment of unemployment assistance.
    First thing is where she can claim this,and second what is it and where get it.
    Thank you for very long and interesting post.And wanna ask You,if You can tell me what course did you made?And was hard trough these years?Maybe it s still a chance to find a job in this industry.Anyway good luck,and thank you for reading this.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The course sounds great.

I think you should make an appointment with MABS and ask them for budgeting advice and what you will be entitled to. I dont think you realise just how much of a hit your income will take.

I did my course straight after leaving school & lived at home because I didn't get the grant :( . I worked between 15-20+ hours a week part-time (nightclub , supermarket and cinema). I think if your family can help you out you need to find out how much they are willing to give you. Financially and in terms of child-minding.

Advertisement