Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't jump red lights if you're an immigrant

• 11-09-2010 10:36am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Otherwise you may be refused naturalisation, according to this piece in the Irish Times today:
    An immigrant doctor who had worked for eight years in the Irish health service was denied naturalisation because she had broken a red traffic light on her bicycle, a conference in UCC was told yesterday.

Catherine Cosgrave, senior solicitor with the Immigrant Council of Ireland, told the conference on gender, religion and multiculturalism that this was one example of where people are refused naturalisation as Irish citizens for not fulfilling the “good character” requirement, having come to the “adverse attention” of the Garda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I'm only in favour of this if it opens up the possibility of deporting Irish-born red light jumpers at some point in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Haha, it's true you know.
    I got a telling off from a policeman in Boston for cycling on a piece of unmarked pavement between two cycle paths (literraly, 50m of unmarked pavement between 2 cycle lanes)
    He reminded me that if he fined me for it, I would have my visa waiver revoked for two years.

Talk about harsh, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

el tonto wrote: »
    Don't jump red lights if you're an immigrant if you're an immigrant

How about plain old: "Don't jump red lights" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

He reminded me that if he fined me for it, I would have my visa waiver revoked for two years.

In keeping with the cliché that US cops are heavy handed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

I think it is a bit hard to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I'm only in favour of this if it opens up the possibility of deporting Irish-born red light jumpers at some point in the future.

In the interests of fairness, you are right, but where to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Somewhere with no traffic lights. Leitrim maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Would the Irish born rlj's have a say in where they are deported to. If so I choose SW France.

Advertisement