Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke Zero

Options
  • 11-09-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

What is the deal with it?

I drink gallons of the stuff. It tastes the same as the regular stuff despite what some people say but it supposedly has no sugar or fat.

If you were to believe Coke, the stuff is better than water.

Is it really poison?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well as a recently diagnosed diabetic I'm very happy it exists because I hate Diet Coke. If it's poison, well then that's a risk I'm willing to take. :)

Would you care to expand on the poison theory at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

No. I'm not saying it. It must have a catch as it is too good to be true

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah, gotcha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bellabidul

It can't be that bad...or fatening...
    WW allows us to consume it as it has no "fatty"points...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is no fat in regular coke either, just sugar and the about the same sugar as apple juice or orange juice -so the next person who tells you a glass of coke has 78 teaspoons of sugar in it tell them so does a glass of orange juice.

It is the phosphoric acid that I would worry about most, it is bad for your teeth and bones. I now mainly stick to diet drinks with citric acid, which is also bad for your teeth but supposedly not as bad for you system (in fact I have a skin condition and I find it can be good for it.)

Others worry about the the sweeteners, tesco & M&S do own brand premium colas which use sucralose which many see as a safer alternative -the sweetners do not worry me much -almost everything I ingest is claimed to cause cancer!;)

Some also reckon the sweeteners can have an effect on insulin levels, just like sugar, which in turn could lead to fat gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It tastes the same as the regular stuff despite what some people say

My taste buds wishes this were true

I tried it recently and thought that it tasted like piz compared to the regular stuff. Personally I'd have put it a fraction ahead of Diet Coke but nothing close to the regular stuff.

That being said... the regular stuff is evil.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Coke Zero is sweetened with a combination of aspartame and acesulfame potassium (Ace-K). Coke Zero is the same basic formula as classic Coke while Diet Coke is a different formula completely. Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame only. There are unsubstantiated theories (at least by Coca Cola) that the unsuccessful release of Coke Two or new Coke was actually the formula for Diet Coke, just sweetened with the classic sugar combination.
    Also, Coke Zero has 0.5 Calories per 100ml while Diet Coke, oddly enough, still contains one Calorie.
    One other rationale for the Coca Cola release of Coke Zero is that men are reluctant to buy diet coke because of the association with dieting and women. Much of the marketing of Coke Zero in the US is directed toward men and activities often associated with masculinity.
    On a side note, in many european countries and pan american/south american countries, Diet Coke is released as Coca Cola Light.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_Coke_Zero_and_Diet_Coke
    I love coke zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

2 Years on and I prefer Coke Zero. At the start it was wierd - having had all that sugar in my body with up to 6 cans/bottles a day... Down to 2 cans/bottles a day and over 3 stone lighter (Running and Cycling has helped also.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I love Coke Zero. In America they have a whole range of Coke Zero drinks,my favourite being the Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero. Yes,it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

It's all I drink, people keep on telling me it's too good to be true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

greetings wrote: »
    I love Coke Zero. In America they have a whole range of Coke Zero drinks,my favourite being the Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero. Yes,it was fantastic.

The Cherry Coke Zero in America was great. I don't drink it myself but I was with someone who missed being able to drink Cherry Coke so it was nice to be able to have it. They sell Diet Cherry Coke in Boots but I don't think it's going to be the same.

Love Coke Zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Not a big fan of coke full stop! I only drink it in cans I find it tastes nicer especially when it's ice cold :P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

used to drink fat coke then switched to diet,cans only ,can only stand it if almost freezing.i find zero tates very chemically .could never stand pepsi in any form !!!! very sickly.trying to cut down on it now.don't like any other canned drinks,the odd lilt if i can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

morcheen k wrote: »
    odd lilt if i can find it.
    Lilt has only about half the sugar as other soft drinks, so it might be a choice for dieters who want to avoid sweeteners. I always wonder why they do not mention it in their marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Generally not that big a fan of coke because I know how bad it is for my teeth so I feel guilty afterwards, but Coke Zero is nice. I have it the odd time and the taste is pretty good. Definitely better than Diet Coke, that stuff is nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The health conscious part of me decided to give it another try today (praying that the last bottle I had was somehow spoiled which resulted in it tasting bad) but still found it bordering on tasteless.

All the stats on the side of the bottle read well, it looks the part... but I think it's just trying to cloud the mind into believing it's original coke's healthy equal.

Advertisement