Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network problem

Options
  • 11-09-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I am running a Windows xP computer and have a second Win 98 computer connected in a network through a modem. I can access the Win 98 PC on the xP PC through "My Network places". How do I shut down the Win 98 PC from the xP PC? Forgive the ignorance displayed in this question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

You could install a remote control program like TightVNC on both PC's. That would allow you to connect to each machine from the other and do whatever you like. Make sure you get the TightVNC 1.3.10 version for the Windows 98 machine as the latest 2.0.2 version won't work on Windows 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

thank you for a prompt reply;)

I used to shut down the Win 98 PC in the normal way by accessing the shut down button on its own monitor (and keyboard). Since I no longer have the monitor connected I thought there should be some way of accessing the shut down button on the xP PC. Is this possible ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

When you have TightVNC installed on the Win98 machine you'll be able to do that from the XP machine. Now you'll have to temporarily connect a monitor to the Win98 PC in order to install TightVNC but once that's done you can have TightVNC load when the Win98 PC starts and then you'll always be able to access and control it from the XP machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

You might be able to run the shutdown command from the windows XP PC to issue a shutdown on the windows 98 box.
    Something like :
    "shutdown.exe -f -m \\ip address of win 98 box -t 0"

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

I can report success in establishing connections between the 2 PCs using TightVNC - after a struggle. I had to install the older version of TightVNC on the xP PC also as I was unable to link up using the latest version. Anyway it now works for me but reaction time is extremly slow.:mad: Any way of speeding that up? Thanks to bhickey and billymitchell for advice and comment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement