Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broke my tooth on my tongue piercing

Options
  • 11-09-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I got my tongue pierced back in June and I've been delighted with it but a couple of days ago i broke a tooth eating a crust on toast. My dentist put in an extra large filling so its not to bad but still dont want this happening again.

So I'm just wondering would a plastic ball be much better (I have a steel one right now) or would a flat piece of jewellery be better? I've seen a nice heart shaped piece in town so I'm thinking that might be better if it gets caught in my bite. Any advice pls?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

maybe don't bite metal, i never did and I had mine pierced 3 times and my teeth are grand

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ray - you so wise...

Lucy - A plastic ball can minimize the damage caused by biting the ball, but plastic can crack and splinter, so its generally a good idea to swap them fairly often if you find yourself biting them. And, just to be sure... did you gi back to your piercer to get a shorter bar put in after a few weeks? Tongue piercings are done with a longer bar initially to allow for swelling, and your piercer should have replaced this with a shorter bar when you went back. The shorter bar also makes it less likely that you'll bite it!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

Ray - you so wise...

Lucy - A plastic ball can minimize the damage caused by biting the ball, but plastic can crack and splinter, so its generally a good idea to swap them fairly often if you find yourself biting them. And, just to be sure... did you gi back to your piercer to get a shorter bar put in after a few weeks? Tongue piercings are done with a longer bar initially to allow for swelling, and your piercer should have replaced this with a shorter bar when you went back. The shorter bar also makes it less likely that you'll bite it!

Yes i did go back after a couple of weeks to get the smaller bar but mine is in a bit slanty i think (on purpose) so that may be why this has happened. My dentist said something flat might do the trick. I'd hate to have to take it out cos i do love it. I might pop into where i got it done and see what they say.

Ebay is good for getting a bunch of plastic cheap balls so might get those too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Lucyx wrote: »
    Yes i did go back after a couple of weeks to get the smaller bar but mine is in a bit slanty i think (on purpose) so that may be why this has happened. My dentist said something flat might do the trick. I'd hate to have to take it out cos i do love it. I might pop into where i got it done and see what they say.

Ebay is good for getting a bunch of plastic cheap balls so might get those too. :)

I wouldn't trust Ebay at all. They could be second hand which is completely unsafe for any piercing especially tongue piercings. Go to one of the piercing studios and get the plastic balls in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Check with your piercer that you have the shortest bar needed.

I use the plastic jewelry (PTFE) in my oral piercings as I feel it minimises the risk to my teeth. I agree with what Damo said- they can crack and splinter so be careful. I feel like having them reduces the risk to my teeth. I use one in my lip piercing too, although I still have a metal ball on it. It feels like it scrapes off my teeth less, as it's more pliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement