Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's In Your Bag

• 11-09-2010 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen similar things being done on other forums, I don't think I've seen it here.

Do you carry a bag? Is it a backpack, a saddlebag, a pannier or other?
    Is it for commuting, simple tools or savage spins?
    What do you keep inside? What are the essential things to carry in your opinion?

This is my bag. It's a Camelbak HAWG. I think it's a great bag, I've had it for ages and it goes from tied-up small to quite spacious depending on how tight you pull the straps. Very versatile.
    The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of ventilation where it meets your back, but I can't see myself paying the bucks to replace it until it starts to come apart at the stitches...

127252.JPG

And this is what I carry. I don't like packing and repacking the bag, I just want to throw it on my back and go. That's why I have road & MTB tubes in it.

127251.JPG

Contents:
    Waterproof jacket
    Decent gloves
    One of those emergency blanket things (I don't know why I carry this, but it's so small and light I've never felt the need to remove it)
    Kryptonite cable lock - for quick stops
    Kryptonite NY Fuhgeddaboudit - for longer stops
    Topeak mini pump
    Shock pump
    Road & MTB tubes
    Lights - 2 x Electron Nano 9 front lights, 1 x Smart Polaris rear light
    2 x multi tools (not sure why :o)
    Knife, lube, spare gear cable, tyre levers

Ta da!! :D:D

As much as anything, I'm looking for inspiration if there's something I'm not carrying or if I'm overdoing it... :p

So, what's in your bag? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

brilliant thread chris i dont know how to post pic's but i'm mostly on my touring bike these days ,i have a carradice rackbag for most of the time brilliant piece of kit so what do i usually carry.;)
    rain jacket /pants.
    loads of tools, you never know,
    2 tubes,
    1 spare tire
    cable lock.
    compass,
    afterbite for stings
    small mirror very useful (;)
    camera
    lip stuff
    lot's of snacks
    couple bananas
    flask of tea or coffee (day rides around 60 miler);)
    money 20 euro.
    phone
    i think that's about it no idea what all that weigh's but it's all small gear so no bother .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

In MTB/road bike saddle bags

1x Spare tube
    1x Puncture repair kit
    1-2x CO2 canister
    2x Tyre lever
    1x Spare splitting link (highly recommended)

CO2 pump/inflator either on frame (mtb) or in jersey pocket along with phone, C.I. licence, multitool, a few yoyos should a pit stop be necessary and arm warmers in case it gets cold/after it gets warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I got one of these recently , nice for carrying an extra ltr of water and some food. otherwise basic set of small tools, spare tube, mobile and some money.

Altura-AeroPostPack.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I notice you have the same minor problem with the Fahgettaboudit as I have: the plastic face plate over the lock-hole cracks at one side. This seems to be a design flaw, albeit a very minor one. I didn't fix mine with tape, but screwed an M3 bolt through a small square of rubber, so the rubber holds the face plate down.

In my pannier:

Toolkit
    Brompton mini-pump (came free with the Brompton but I use it with my regular bike)
    Two tyre levers
    Spare tube
    Puncture repair kit
    Homemade tyre boot (rectangle of old toothpaste tube)
    Some cable ties
    Electrical tape
    Leatherman minitool
    Multitool (has an ok chain breaker and some ability to fill in for screwdrivers and allen keys)
    Spare Hyperglide chain links
    Allen key to remove QR wheels
    Small file
    Latex gloves

Lights
    Cateye EL 530
    Two 1/2W Smart red lights
    Sam Browne on which to hang one Smart light
    Two wrist lights of my own devising

Raingear
    Montane Featherlite rain smock
    Altura rain trousers
    Outdoor Research rain hat
    Overshoes

Locks
    Kryptoflex on the outside of the bag
    Two locks, but these are carried on the frame of the bike, not in the bag

Everyday stuff
    Whatever I need for the day in hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Excellent, the system works! :D

I'll be adding the following to my bag asap:
    Money
    Splitting link
    Tyre boot
    Cable ties

@tomasrojo - yeah, that problem is annoying with the Fugettaboudit, I don't mind the lock not being pretty, so I dunno if I'll put in a proper fix beyond the tape. Heavy mofo though, I might put a bike rack on my bike and hang it off that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Have a look here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

the **** people carry.

tiny saddlebag, think size of a neatly folded road tube:
    spare tube (road)
    tyre levers 2
    thats all that fits and I WANT to fit in it

injersey pocket:
    repair kit

Pump?

goes where the 2nd bottle cage is, for really hot rides I might use my co2 and a cartridge instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

rather than repeat the same things as everone else carries - just agree with tomasrojo re the latex gloves. learned the hard was (thankfully on the dirty commuter bike and not the road bike with the white assos gloves and white bar tape!) Have a pair shoved in a mini seat bag on both bikes.

edit - as a matter of interest chris - are you fairly handy at carrying out bike repairs ??? just asking cos you have a few tools in the bag. i dont bother carrying any tools anymore because if anything major goes wrong i probably wont be able to fix it anyway (just carry a small allen key).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I just use my old jansport rucksack, inside I have:

4979846080_249b96d6e3.jpg

- 1 Fenix TK11
    - 1 Smart Polaris F&R Light set
    - 2 Smart 1/2W LEDs
    - Track nut tool
    - Lezyne mini pump
    - Lezyne CO2 pump
    - Spare tube
    - Tyre Levers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

me@ucd wrote: »
    the **** people carry.
    I do carry quite a lot of stuff, but it's pretty compact when packed up.

In my defence, I have used every single item on that list on the road. Some very much more than others, obviously, but I used to commute Lucan->Ballsbridge everyday, and it was around then I started preparing for a larger range of eventualities.

edit - as a matter of interest chris - are you fairly handy at carrying out bike repairs ??? just asking cos you have a few tools in the bag. i dont bother carrying any tools anymore because if anything major goes wrong i probably wont be able to fix it anyway (just carry a small allen key).

I'm not too confident with truing wheels, but the rest is fine for me.

Pull your bike apart Wersal, it's not complicated. Trial and error is the best way to learn :o:D

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I do carry quite a lot of stuff, but it's pretty compact when packed up.

In my defence, I have used every single item on that list on the road. Some very much more than others, obviously, but I used to commute Lucan->Ballsbridge everyday, and it was around then I started preparing for a larger range of eventualities.

I would say most in this thread carry more than when Im touring...in another country, and not knowing anyone living there...or speaking the same language...and travelling in remote areas and not knowing if there is a bikeshop within 100k at any time. in that case I would carry in the panniers:

Allen keys for all parts of bike needed
    Pedal spanner
    spare brake pads
    spare tube..or 2
    pliers
    cable ties
    small chain tool
    lube
    rag
    pump
    puncture repair kit
    small tube of grease

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

no mention of a spoke key/wrench, I presume its in some peoples multitools?

dont use it much if it all anymore(better wheel builds!) but handy if you brake a spoke and need to adjust the adjacent spokes to get the rim tru again

a schrader-presta valve adaptor is handy for stopping off at petrol stations for air and is tiny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Does nobody else carry first-aid stuff? I ended up using it after the crash last week.

Summer bag is a fairly big saddle bag with:
    1. CO2 canisters x 2
    2. CO2 inflator
    3. tube
    4. Speed lever
    5. repair kit
    6. Multitool
    7. gilet
    8. first aid kit:
      • Swabs
      • gauze
      • bandage roll x2
      • sterile water capsule x2
      • bandage tape
      • gloves

Winter bag is a 10l rack bag with the above plus second tube, glasses, rain jacket, glove liners, Light, spare batteries and whatever junk I've forgotten to take out.

Lock usually lives at work rather than being carried around though I sometimes carry a cable lock in the winter bag..

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I have the following, nothing strange or startling i'm afraid, in fact after reading through it again I've realised how boring it is:
    Spare tube,
    Puncture patches,
    Two Co2 cannisters,
    Tyre lever,
    Tyre boot,
    Multi tool, c/w chain tool,
    Sram quick link,
    Shimano spoke key,
    A couple of 6mm set screws,
    A couple of zip ties,
    An emergency fiver,
    A sachet of waterless hand cleaner.

All fits in a very small saddle bag, the pump is mounted on the bike and the real breakdown tool (mobile phone to ring the wife) is in the jersey pocket!

Advertisement