Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what a penalty, this keeper is awesome :)

• 11-09-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

EDIT: Just noticed it in the videos thread, my bad,.....delete if you want!!

***DOUBLE EDIT: old video replaced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Goal shouldn't have been awarded. As it was a penalty shootout, once the balls forward motion had been stopped, the penalty was considered saved. Or something like that.
    There was a case a few years ago, of a keeper knocking the ball onto a post. It bounced back off the post, hit the keeper and went into the goal. As far as I remember that goal stood, but there was outrage as it shouldn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

stupid *unt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Goal shouldn't have been awarded. As it was a penalty shootout, once the balls forward motion had been stopped, the penalty was considered saved. Or something like that.
    There was a case a few years ago, of a keeper knocking the ball onto a post. It bounced back off the post, hit the keeper and went into the goal. As far as I remember that goal stood, but there was outrage as it shouldn't have.

Of course it should have stood. The ball never stopped, he only struck it once...goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

fullstop wrote: »
    Of course it should have stood. The ball never stopped, he only struck it once...goal.

No he was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

The video is deleted but I thought it was when the ball went backwards that the penalty was disallowed. If it hits two posts, its going sideways and still counts...no?

Maybe it is when it stops going forwards....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

It's when the ball stops, there is nothing in the rules about when it stops forward motion at all, perfectly legal penalty.

Example 1

Player takes a shot, ball hits crossbar, comes out forward but massive spin after hitting crossbar takes the ball back into the net.

Example 2

Player takes a shot, ball comes back off the post and hits the keeper and rolls in.

Two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Is there not a distinction though between penalties in open play and penalties in a shoot out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Yeah, the play stops when the ball stops.

Advertisement