Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get 24MB, or close to it?

• 11-09-2010 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm currently on 7MB broadband and am getting the following speeds:

Download Speed
    6.14 Mb/s

Upload Speed
    0.19 Mb/s

Latency
    74 ms

If I upgrade to the 24MB , do you think I'd get close to that or around 20MB speeds? I'm approx 1 mile from the exchange. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Depends on your line I think. My parents are getting close to what they pay for, but what they pay for is as much as their line can handle. If they were to upgrade to 24 theyd still only get 3.

Can you get fibre broadband such as UPC? Youre much more likely to get what you pay for with fibre. I pay for 15 and never get less than 14, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

Checked the UPC website and entered my address, all I can get is Digital TV, no phone/broadband at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Could be anything from 12Mbps to 20Mbps
    According to graph here if you had ADSL and exchange was upgraded to ADSL2+, then 6Mbps on ADSL is about 10Mbps on ADSL2+

Is your phone line on an ADSL2+ exchange or exchange with Digiweb/Smart or Magnet LLU? If not, then the max speed is what you have. (Twice the Irish Average).

Which ISP?

On eircom at the moment. About a 1mile from their Cork HQ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

On eircom at the moment. About a 1mile from their Cork HQ!
    if you post your line stats (from your eircom router) someone here will probably be able to give you a better idea of what to expect. a lot of the regulars here are or have been in DSL support jobs.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you post your line stats (from your eircom router) someone here will probably be able to give you a better idea of what to expect. a lot of the regulars here are or have been in DSL support jobs.
    Whats the fastest way to get my line stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Connection Information DSL
    Available eircom broadband
    Connected User Name

IP Address
    IP Gateway
    Primary DNS Server
    resolver1.opendns.com

Secondary DNS Server
    resolver2.opendns.com

Speed
    7168/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    32/18 dB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

32dB would suggest about 13Mbps is what you'd get. You certainly will not get close to 24Mbps on that line.

Advertisement