Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want a hand?.................NO

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I spent 4 weekends this year carrying out bagpacks that I myself organised.
    Just a few comments:
    The volunteers we had for this we all expected to pack bags properly, putting Dettol in with food just wasn't done.

Customers were always asked if they needed help with a smile. If yes then the bags were packed with care, if not, no problem.

I found that the majority of people were grateful of the help and enjoyed a bit of light conversation regarding the cause. Also, the checkout staff expressed their appreciation of the help as queues were sped up and items were't building up on the belt.

However, I have had my bags packed by people who didn't seem to care less what went in so I think you shouldn't simply generalise and say "Bagpacking is bad".

If organised and monitored effectively then these problems don't crop up.
    That's my 2 cents from my 50+ hours of standing at the end of a till :)

Off topic note; Woman working in Tesco on West Street, Drogheda, gave me a hand today at one of those self service checkouts today - one of the nicest, and most useful sales assistants I've ever encountered. Fair play to her. Wanted to throw in a good comment on that Tesco site, but no store number, sadly, as I don't have the receipt. Didn't catch her name either, so it probably would've been a waste, anyway.

Anyway, with regards to these guys, would it not make more sense to offer to bring your bags to your car or to the taxi rank (if there's one nearby) or such? Would people not appreciate that a little bit more than bagpacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

In many cases yes and we did offer to do this for people with kids, elderly etc.

However, unfortunately because the aim of bagpacking is to make money it makes more sense to keep people at the tills. Donations increased massively when people manned the tills so having them bringing bags to cars would reduce the number of customers they have contact with and thus the overall take. Cynical yes but you'd be amazed how much can be raised from a weekend of bagpacking. People are extremely generous for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Jason1984 wrote: »
    Also, the checkout staff expressed their appreciation of the help as queues were sped up and items were't building up on the belt.

I remember the 1990's when supermarkets employed people to pack your bags for you.
    Every supermarket I knew had staff for that.
    I'm not sure when exactly it disappeared but it's gone for good now, cost cutting I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chazbar

just to address some guys on the back packers side.
    speaking for myself, i always give money and end up letting them pack my bags just because i feel guilty if i dont, it is the mentality of many of us.
    The packers know this too, why else would you ask my girlfriend and I, who are both young and fit, if we need help packing 2 bags.
    I am not anti-charity, i am anti-charity in my face.
    I think its generally agreed that if that half the tills had no packers it would be an ok compromise.
    The only problem then is that the ques at my till will be huge.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Hey KKV, next time you're in the store point him/her out to the manager small thing like that would really make her day.

On the topic of bag packing, ok I can see how some people think it's an annoyance, but at the end of the day here's (in my experience) mainly kids and teenagers giving up their time to raise funds for which ever club or charity, ok they aren't the best at packing but they are they offering they help in the hope you throw their club a few coppers (obviously euros are nicer).
    If you don't want your detergent in with your egg's just nicely tell them it's not that hard. I normally only do small shops (never a trolley load) but still appreciate the help and give a bit of money, then again growing up I did my fairshare of packing growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

i have a certain way of packing my grocerys away, seperating different types of goods, i agree with the 'they throw everything and anything into bags'.
    I have never said to them 'its okay ill do it myself' because i think this sounds rude and makes me look like a moany oul'one. (i shouldnt care what they think, but im too polite:(
    so i just let them do it without saying anything, and always throw in a few quid to their charity box. but ill always try go to a till without a bag packer.
    i always try go to the self service till, depending on how much groceries i have.
    i didnt think this was an issue with other shoppers until i found this thread. In future i'm going to say out straight in a polite tone 'thank you but i'd perfair to pack my own bags' and as i am saying this drop some money into the bucket as im saying it.
    the guy who said he threw money in before and the person lookex into the bucket counting to see how much they were given...ha-ha ive seen this happen before:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Gillo wrote: »
    On the topic of bag packing, ok I can see how some people think it's an annoyance, but at the end of the day here's (in my experience) mainly kids and teenagers giving up their time to raise funds for which ever club or charity, ok they aren't the best at packing but they are they offering they help in the hope you throw their club a few coppers (obviously euros are nicer).

It sounds so noble that way and to be fair I'd say most of them see it that way too but I wonder if the higher ups in the club do or if they are trying to guilt you by doing something nice for you first.The power of reciprocity http://www.copyblogger.com/much-obliged-the-power-of-reciprocity/

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

+ 1 Jason

While I appriciate some bag packs are badly organised, there are many who go to alot of effort to make sure they run smoothly & peoples shopping is not distroyed.

I've also been involved in helping to organise a few each year:
    - We get all the kids togeather before hand to explain the techniques (toileries separate, not to mix raw & cook meat, heavy stuff at bottom, bread at the top etc). If in any doubt, they should ask the customer or a parent
    - We always have as many parents as possible involved so they can link up with more inexperienced kids
    - We tell them to ask with a smile & say thanks & goodbye to EVERYONE, regardless if they get their bags packed or donate anything

I remember one guy who polite said no to my son. He had a big shop so my son grouped his shopping as it came down into suitable groups (not in bags) so it would be easier for the guy to pack. The guy was so impressed that he had sorted everything properly he said he could pack the bags & remarked how well he had done them.

What really bugs me is when there are buckets at the end & a group of kids just standing around, chatting, not packing (properly or not) & still expect you to donate. Work for it !!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Happened to me the other day, the back packer abruptly took my bags that I left down at the packing area while I went to fish out my clubcard, I said I can pack my self he says he had no problems doing it, I said well I wont be paying for this. I think he packed a 12 pack of beer cans and a few other items, I paid for my groceries and left and said thanks to him (bear in mind I said I will pack them and I wont be paying him), he snarled your welcome, I felt like saying I dont have the money these days to be throwing away like that, I have given to charitys before but only when they are for an important cause (cancer day springs to mind) and their not chugging for it,
    I think my brother was bag packing as a school fundraising thing not so long ago, wouldn't mind but this is a private school he attends :rolleyes:

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Like other posters have said, I think its just very unfair and bad management to force charities upon shoppers.

There should be half and half on the tills in terms of bag packers/no bag packers, you shouldnt have to be forced to deal with bag packers. Its the equivalent of allowing charity muggers stand in your way at the supermarket doors.

I understand that a lot of them are doing it for charity and a good cause but that doesn't mean I should put in a situation where I feel bad about having to tell them not to pack my bags. A large amount of posters advocating bag packers seem to allow bag packers pack their items out of guilt and not wanting to say no, which is ridiculous when you're the one spending money.

I know a lot of them pack well, but a good amount of them pack the bags awfully but when you've just spent a lot of money on food, its not a risk worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I pay for my child to go horse riding and swimming out of my own pocket. I don't go out or send them out to force others to fund their hobbies. Most of these clubs are funded in some way by lottery funds anyway.
    It is time this practice was stopped, it's expensive enough to buy groceries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have no problem with bag packing per se, but I'd prefer it if it were a proper charity, rather than a sports club, or the school kids going to "build schools" in africa (I doubt they'd let 15 year olds on a building site)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

Most of the kids clubs collecting is to subsidise a trip for them abroad at Easter. It is not being done for charity. Don't feel guilty, just opt out of the help. If they want to go on a holiday, let their parents pay, why should you pay?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Christ on a bike I hate this carry on.... just leave people alone, if they want their bags packed they'll acknowledge you in some way... otherwise leave them alone... I don't blame the kids to be honest, it's the busy bodies around them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have my own backpack so they never even think of going near me, i.e. it is a personal bag so they do not want to be rooting in it.

They are really the equivalent or worse than guys cleaning windows at traffic lights -who should be arrested for jaywalking BTW, dunno why they do nothing about newpaper sellers or guys giving out free papers or promotional stuff which very often interrupts traffic.

I do remember shops having their own staff help pack for people, and really only people on their own with big trolleys, the vast majority of people are prefectly able to pack their own so there is no real advantage. What is next, lads standing at your car, "oh give me your keys, I'll open your door for you"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Meeoow wrote: »
    I pay for my child to go horse riding and swimming out of my own pocket. I don't go out or send them out to force others to fund their hobbies. Most of these clubs are funded in some way by lottery funds anyway.
    It is time this practice was stopped, it's expensive enough to buy groceries.

Wow generalise much? My kids go to a Gaelscoil and they don't get enough money from the government to run it. That's why I help out with the bag packing. FYI, the lottery is handing out no more money to sports clubs etc, and neither are the FAI etc.

From the other perspective, if someone says no, they don't want their bag packed,I feel like an awful lemon standing there while they pack their own bags. Especially when they are struggling to do so.

I will bring it to the attention of the school committee for the next day to make sure there are only enough parents packing for 50% of the tills. Thats a good point that we should implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In fairness, the parents packing are not really an issue. Its the football club lads and camogie lasses that are the main problem. A bunch of very pleasant fellas were packing for the South Africa building scheme a while ago, and did a great job! Unfortunately they are the exception.

Came across this in Tesco the other day (the 24 hour one, not the one with the useful sales assistant).

Actually found it quite ironic, as I hadn't seen it in a long, long time, but after reading and commenting in this thread, I see it almost instantly. Weird.

It was a bit annoying to be honest. The kids weren't really packing bags, but more standing around talking. Looked to be about two kids to every checkout. We didn't have any bags (we usually just fire the stuff back into the trolley and pack it at the van in the car park to get out of the store quickly) so we said no to bag packing but they got a few euro off us anyway.

On the way out, though, i'm fairly sure I seen another elderly woman with one of those coin collector things collecting for something else (the kids were all in white t-shirts, and this woman looked different and her collector thing was red so I assume it was a different club/charity/whatever).

It's a bit of a pain in the ass to be honest. We got out of the van and we were approached and asked if we wanted the van cleaned while we were inside. We go inside and we're asked if we want our nonexistant bags packed, on the way out the door a woman is collecting more money, and that's all at the one shop.

Bit of a piss take.

Scotch Hall was worse for it though. I remember when I worked in Dunnes, I'd be going to work, and on each side of the bridge into the centre I'd be getting asked for money, halfway through the centre i'd be asked, at the top and bottom of the excalators i'd be asked... fucking nightmare.

Then you get home on a Friday and there's some prick standing at the ATM waving a sticker in your face (which I never understood. I'm at an ATM, you sure as feck aren't getting a new €10 note off me!)

Worse is when they knock on your front door!

Should be some rules or regulations or such brought in.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I did bag packing a few times when I was involved with my local hockey club and on another occasion for a charity to do with a certain health condition. I always did my best to help the customer - asking them did they want a separate fridge freezer bag, vegetables etc and obviously put their toiletries, cleaning products etc in a separate bags. Some people choose not to contribute and that's fair enough, others do and others don't want you anywhere near their groceries. I understand all of these choices, the only thing that used to annoy me was when somebody would be rude to me, which did happen quite a bit. No matter what, I'd always smile and say thank you - so not everyone who packs bags is a rude, stupid, ignorant child! :)

Unfortunately there were some girls with me who were more interested in standing chatting than actually being helpful to the customer. But just to reiterate something that was already said, if you don't want someone to pack your bags, all it takes it "Thanks, but I prefer to pack my own" and a smile. If someone said this to me the few times I did it, I'd usually smile and move away just to give them some space while they did it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

lizt wrote: »
    I did bag packing a few times when I was involved with my local hockey club and on another occasion for a charity to do with a certain health condition. I always did my best to help the customer - asking them did they want a separate fridge freezer bag, vegetables etc and obviously put their toiletries, cleaning products etc in a separate bags. Some people choose not to contribute and that's fair enough, others do and others don't want you anywhere near their groceries. I understand all of these choices, the only thing that used to annoy me was when somebody would be rude to me, which did happen quite a bit. No matter what, I'd always smile and say thank you - so not everyone who packs bags is a rude, stupid, ignorant child! :)

Unfortunately there were some girls with me who were more interested in standing chatting than actually being helpful to the customer. But just to reiterate something that was already said, if you don't want someone to pack your bags, all it takes it "Thanks, but I prefer to pack my own" and a smile. If someone said this to me the few times I did it, I'd usually smile and move away just to give them some space while they did it.

That should be stopped. They are no use to anyone, and give the whole idea a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

whiterebel wrote: »
    That should be stopped. They are no use to anyone, and give the whole idea a bad name.

I agree, but unfortunately the time I was packing for a charity for awareness of a disease, they didn't have enough volunteers so they had to contact the local schools and ask them if they could send anyone. We seem to have gotten the girls who just wanted time off class. They were no help to us at all really and feedback was sent to the school.

Advertisement