Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor won't give me a refund.

Options
  • 11-09-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I dropped my phone on sunday into a puddle of water and it went dead and I couldn't turn it on. I'm a meteor bill pay customer and i'm due an upgrade in a few weeks. So I put the phone into the hot press and left it there. However I need a phone so I went into my local meteor shop and bought a phone for 50 euro on monday. However the phone that fell into water came back to life so I just went in to the shop I bought the phone and asked for a refund. There was only one staff member there. She said no way we would lose way too much money. And I asked was there any way at all. And she said no. She was really dismissive about it. I'm so angry about the way I was treated and second of all i'm a bill pay and broadband customer and I thought i'd be treated better. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not really, they don't have to give you a refund just because you don't want the phone anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's no fault with the phone and you've used it. You have no right to return the phone.

Here's your consumer rights, http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland

You have no grounds for redress if
    • You were told about the defect before you bought the item (for example, if the goods were marked 'shopsoiled')
    • You examined the item before you bought it and should have seen the defect
    • You bought the item knowing that it wasn’t fit for what you wanted it to do
    • You broke or damaged the product
    • You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    • You change your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Don't think so, you bought the phone and I'm assuming you used it too. I would have brought the original phone in and explain the situation, they may have been able to do something with the upgrade date just a few weeks away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What makes you think you are entitled to a refund?

Just because your personal circumstances mean you dont need it, you are not entitled to demand your money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

What makes you think you are entitled to a refund?

Just because your personal circumstances mean you dont need it, you are not entitled to demand your money back!

I didn't demand my money back I went in and asked could I get a refund. I just posted a question here to get more information on it. No need for that at all.

• Advertisement

sparkydee wrote: »
    I .asked for a refund. There was only one staff member there. She said no way we would lose way too much money. And I asked was there any way at all. And she said no. She was really dismissive about it. I'm so angry about the way I was treated and second of all i'm a bill pay and broadband customer and I thought i'd be treated better. Is there anything I can do?

You requested a refund and they declined, now you are angry for being treated this way, in what way were you treated badly?

You requested a refund and they declined, now you are angry for being treated this way, in what way were you treated badly?

She was very defensive once I explained the situation and asked me did I expect meteor to lose money over it. And I was in no way rude to her. It was her manner more than anything else. I just thought they might have given me the refund. But obviously i'll just have to get over it. I've had time to calm down but I just don't expect to get attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am perplexed by the OP's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I think the sales reps get annoyed by the people looking for refunds etc. when they're plainly not entitled to them and trying to waffle off breached rights although they have mis-interpreted what they are entitled to.

Not saying this was what the OP did, but others doing the same day-in day-out might end up with such a reaction from the staff member.

Jev/N wrote: »
    I think the sales reps get annoyed by the people looking for refunds etc. when they're plainly not entitled to them and trying to waffle off breached rights although they have mis-interpreted what they are entitled to.

Not saying this was what the OP did, but others doing the same day-in day-out might end up with such a reaction from the staff member.

I know exactly what you mean. I see this an awful lot. The best approach in this situation is to be diplomatic, keep calm and try to find a friendly staff member who will do it.

Unfortunately, when things dont go the customers way, some customers go off on a rant.

In the OP's situation, would they have accepted the phone they got from Meteor, if it had been used by someone for a few days and returned because their personal circumstances had changed.

I think not.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    I am perplexed by the OP's post.

Why? I just asked a question. I thought I might be entitled to it. Anyhow i'm not and maybe I was a bit stupid to think I was but there you go. And I can understand shop assistants getting annoyed because they do get a lot of crap. But when she said that to me I really did feel embarrassed. And anyhow thanks for the replies.

I know exactly what you mean. I see this an awful lot. The best approach in this situation is to be diplomatic, keep calm and try to find a friendly staff member who will do it.

Unfortunately, when things dont go the customers way, some customers go off on a rant.

In the OP's situation, would they have accepted the phone they got from Meteor, if it had been used by someone for a few days and returned because their personal circumstances had changed.

I think not.

I get it you think i'm stupid. And I didn't rant. I probably wouldn't have known if it had been used I actually only used the phone once. Anyhow as I said I know now and i'm a bit more wise now. And I actually dealt with that girl last week when I signed up for the broadband. But there you go and it could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Apollo123

sparkydee wrote: »
    I'm so angry about the way I was treated and second of all i'm a bill pay and broadband customer and I thought i'd be treated better.
    I'm surprised nobody else took you up on the arrogance of this statement. Just because you pay them to use their bill pay and broadband services doesn't change or improve your rights. It doesn't entitle you to special treatment either. You bought a phone, then decided you didn't want it and asked the store to refund you. When they said no, you were "angry" and thought you would have been "treated better". Maybe the shop assistant wasn't the nicest person in the world, but there was obviously nothing she could do for you.

As numerous other posters have pointed out, I'm sorry to tell you that there's nothing you can do.

Apollo123 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody else took you up on the arrogance of this statement. Just because you pay them to use their bill pay and broadband services doesn't change or improve your rights. It doesn't entitle you to special treatment either. You bought a phone, then decided you didn't want it and asked the store to refund you. When they said no, you were "angry" and thought you would have been "treated better". Maybe the shop assistant wasn't the nicest person in the world, but there was obviously nothing she could do for you.

As numerous other posters have pointed out, I'm sorry to tell you that there's nothing you can do.

If it came across arrogant I didn't mean to. Anyhow I know now that I can't I just asked a simple question.
    I just thought that maybe phone companies would like to keep their customers. As I said I signed up to broadband the previous week and she was nice to me. I was just taken aback by her attitude.
    And I do know now I was stupid to think I could get a refund.

It's the attitude of "I have bought or signed up to X, Y or Z and therefore you should be nicer to me" that will piss people off.

Generally, every customer, whether prospective, new or existing, should receive the same treatment, within reason of course.

Jev/N wrote: »
    It's the attitude of "I have bought or signed up to X, Y or Z and therefore you should be nicer to me" that will piss people off.

Generally, every customer, whether prospective, new or existing, should receive the same treatment, within reason of course.

I think that is just nit picking of the highest order. I wanted a question answered which I did. I didn't go into the shop with a chip on my shoulder. And yes i've been a meteor customer as are all my family and we are good customers what's wrong with saying that. And i've accepted it I won't be so quick to go and buy a phone again. And as i've had my question answered this is my last comment on this.

Look, it's a discussion forum and I'm not trying to be bitchy. I'm not even trying to rouse an argument; merely propose an idea on the reason for the attitude of the sales assistant, to which you drew attention in the first place. It may be nit-picking but that's just my opinion on the matter, given what you had posted about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

"And I can understand shop assistants getting annoyed because they do get a lot of crap."

Those same shop assistants can also give a lot of crap some lying telling customers fairy stories about their statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Folks, take it easy. The OP has replied numerous times to all of your comments.

dudara

Advertisement