Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC wireless router question

• 11-09-2010 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, we just got the UPC 30m installed. When doing speedtest on it, I can only get 15M when connecting wireless and 30M if I connect directly to the router with a cable. Is this just an issue with the cisco router? If so, can I use a different router? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

decnug wrote: »
    Hi, we just got the UPC 30m installed. When doing speedtest on it, I can only get 15M when connecting wireless and 30M if I connect directly to the router with a cable. Is this just an issue with the cisco router? If so, can I use a different router? Thanks for any help.

The reduced speed is the nature or wireless. Yes, you can use another router, best results are when the Cisco is put into bridge mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭decnug

Thanks. Can anyone recommend a good router to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Thanks. Can anyone recommend a good router to get?

Depends on what you want to do with your broadband. If its just general surfing, email etc the linksys wrt54GL is a favourite on here. The buffalo WHR HP G300N is also recommended.

If you need something more higher end for better performance the linksys WRT610n is a good router. Netgear WNDR3300 would be fairly good too.

Basically if ur gonna be gaming, streaming video/HD video etc id go for a simultaneous Dual Band N router. Theyre twice the price but worth it in the long run.;)

Cheers!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

You need a wireless router and wireless n card too in your laptop otherwise it won't make a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Can I suggest you change you channel to a different one on your router

also make sure your power output is 100%

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Spear wrote: »
    The reduced speed is the nature or wireless. Yes, you can use another router, best results are when the Cisco is put into bridge mode.

whats involved in using the cisco in bridge mode?

I got a Wireless N router and card (usb adapter actually), getting the full 30m now. Happy days!

I got a Wireless N router and card (usb adapter actually), getting the full 30m now. Happy days!

Watcha get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Cisco routers are fantastic, i wouldnt blame their router, as stated above, change power options, channels, and bridge mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭CompFix

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Cisco routers are fantastic, i wouldnt blame their router, as stated above, change power options, channels, and bridge mode.

UPC router isn't cisco, it's actually an Atlantic Scientific that has been re-branded. It's an awful piece of crap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

wow thanks for that. Noted!:)

Watcha get?

Netgear WNDR3300

Netgear WNDR3300

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Atlantic Scientific is a Cisco brand now. They bought it a while ago.

watty wrote: »
    Atlantic Scientific is a Cisco brand now. They bought it a while ago.

I doubt it's cisco technology I that router though...I'd be very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

I have the old Atlantic Scientific and the new Cisco modem.

Which one is better? i wont be using the wireless since i already have a
    Netgear WNDR3300

Stevo105 wrote: »
    I have the old Atlantic Scientific and the new Cisco modem.

Which one is better? i wont be using the wireless since i already have a
    Netgear WNDR3300

The csco epc one is working fine for me as a modem. Afaik it's the wireless that let's it down

Turns out UPC use the MAC address from the cable modem so it has to be changed on the UPC end. So you dont really have a choice in what modem you get to use

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

Hi there

sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar question. I have the 30mb package and I have the cisco epc2203 modem and netgear wrg614v7 router. I realise that router will only give a max of about 15mb but I only ever get about 10 ~ 12 mb and when I plug directly into the modem I rarely get above 20~22 mb is this ok or is something wrong with the signal?

I used inssider to find a seperate channel from others and disabled firewall on router. I use laptop next to router in sitting room, so no walls or anything between. This has not improved the wireless. Are there any other setting that maybe I have missed. What could be the problem regards the modem as others seem to get 29~30mb when directly into modem and I cant.

Any ideas would be great thanks?

• Advertisement

@ minatauro
    Did you put the cisco modem into "bridge mode"?

UPC Cisco modem password
    Default Settings

Login URL: http://192.168.1.1
    Username: <blank>
    Password: <blank>

There is an “Advanced” tab which will ask for another Username & Password:
    Username: admin
    Password: W2402

Then look for Gateway - bridging option or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

Hi Stevo105,

i dont know how to put it into bridge mode.

UPC Cisco modem password
    Default Settings

Is that address not for the netgear router? I can get into that but cannot get into the modem.

i tried the 192.168.100.1/_avsl.asp but cannot get into the advanced tab on that screen either (only shows sytem info) as it wont accept the "admin" &
    "w2402" login.

I dont think upc allow tinkering with the modem anymore for the advanced tab.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Minatauro wrote: »
    Hi Stevo105,

i dont know how to put it into bridge mode.

UPC Cisco modem password
    Default Settings

Is that address not for the netgear router? I can get into that but cannot get into the modem.

i tried the 192.168.100.1/_avsl.asp but cannot get into the advanced tab on that screen either (only shows sytem info) as it wont accept the "admin" &
    "w2402" login.

I dont think upc allow tinkering with the modem anymore for the advanced tab.

There's some confusion here.

The Cisco is 192.168.0.1 by default, though this may vary. The first time you login to it, the username/pasword is blank and you'll need to set the password. The admin/w2402 password would allow you to login to the advanced tab before, where you couldn't change anything once the modem was provisioned anyway. That password was remove in recent updates.

Once you do log into the modem, the gateway page is hidden in newer firmware. You'll find it at 192.168.0.1/GatewayMode.asp (amend IP as needed).

Once in bridge mode, the modem will respond at 192.168.100.1 instead. You'll need to set the Netgear to fetch its address by DHCP through it's WAN interface or internet type.

Also note that that phone doesn't work if the Cisco is in bridge mode.

Does anyone know how to get into the advanced settings in the EPC2203 modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

center15 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get into the advanced settings in the EPC2203 modem?
    it used to be with the password W2402 same as the epc2425 but they recently changed them, most likely because it was all over the forum here. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    it used to be with the password W2402 same as the epc2425 but they recently changed them, most likely because it was all over the forum here. :)

Figures :( seems nobody has found out the new ones yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Phil Kearney

Hey guys was looking through this thread and I just have a small question. I see you were all talking about the atlantic scientific wireless dongle.

I my actual modem is down in my sitting room and my pc is upstairs I use the atlantic scientific to connect to it. I was wondering if if I was to buy a new wireless router would it make much of a difference, or am I stuck with bad speeds and high ping. Any advise would be great. I also so people mention simultaneous dual band n router would this help me out?

Advertisement