Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19 Week Old Puppy in Heat!?!?

Options
  • 11-09-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Took my 19 week old Westie into the vet just now as she had some discharge during the week which looked to me like she'd gone into heat (have never had a bitch before so I wasn't sure and people were laughing at me and telling me I'm mad!) The Vet has come to the conclusion that she either had an infection or has gone into an abnormally early heat younger than she has ever seen which would indicate a hormone imbalance of some sort. She's eating and drinking normally and her temprature is normal. I think i'll take her back in a few weeks anyway just to be on the safe side. The vet has recommended getting her spayed at 6 months, I had origionally decided I would get her done at 10 months to let her mature a bit but if she has a hormone imbalance she would be at a higer risk for certain cancers and would be better getting the op sooner.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm quite worried about her now, she has always been hyper which I put down to her breed but maybe there is more to it than that :confused: She's always (in her short life) been particularly affectionate toward men as well for some reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just to add as an after thought, is there anything that exists that would bring on 'heat-like' symptoms due to stress caused by a change in circumstances? I went back to work full-time 2 weeks ago (there are plenty of other people still at home all day though) and my older dog died a week a week ago today so this could have had an effect on her, she doesn't seem in any way upset or anything otherwise though. Her poos have been a bit softer than normal this past week but thats the only other change in her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

well i can't offer any advice but just to let you know my cocker went in heat at around 5 and half months (could have been a week earlier cos she was out of sorts and not eating for a while before but at that age we didn't think she could have been in heat) so that is around 22 weeks. our vet won't spay her until she is 2-3 months out of her heat as he thinks that spaying any earlier before the hormones have fully regulated could put her at risk of a phantom pregnancy.

apparently smaller breeds tend to go in heat sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hya

It is quite possible she is coming into heat, Smaller breeds of dog may come into heat from about 20 mths onwards (5 mths) it would not be that unusual. My own puppy is just gone 5 months and is showing signs of coming into heat.

Other signs to look out for are

Swelling of Vulva
    Bitch licking herself a lot more often.
    Bitch not her usual self.
    Male dogs show her a lot of interest
    She will pee much more frequently (leaving a calling card for the suitors:eek:)
    She will be flirty with any male dogs even neutred ones.

You have to be really careful as from 10 days after heat first begins, she will be desperate to find a male dog and may even try to escape. If you are walking her you better off walking her away from your house unless you want all the latch key dogs in your area hanging around outside your home.

Best of luck with her!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I would go with the vets advice and plan to have her spayed at 6 months. Until then, you will need to keep a very close eye on her because if a hormone imbalance caused her to have heat like symptoms that early (19 weeks is very, very early) she could develop them again before she is done - or go into tull blown heat (if she was not already). It's only about 6 weeks but the last thing you want is her getting pregnant, esp because a hormone problem could cause serious risks during pregnancy for both mother and puppies. I'm asssuming your vet treated for infection (just in case) and plans to spay at 6 months?

The youngest I have encountered a bitch going into heat is 5 months (21/22 weeks), a Shih Tzu, which is not unheard of in smaller breeds. That particular dog had a heat cycle of 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a Lhasa bitch here who went into heat at just over 5 months and the vet said it was bit early and can be a sign of hormone probs. He spayed here 3 weeks after the heat (which lasted nearly 5 weeks:eek:) as he said it can sometimes mean a short heat cycle, maybe as short as 3 months. There are a lot of dogs roaming free here so I wanted her done as quick as possible, I couldn't even go out to the car without dogs following me. I would ask the vet if he'd spay her shortly after the heat, mine recovered very quickly and blood tests were fine after all for hormone problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks for all your replies, the vet didn't treat her for infection as she said there was no sign of it now if that's what it was but to keep a very close eye on her. I going to book her in for spaying in mid-november. She has been urinating a lot more especially this last few days and her sences seem to be hightened and she's a bit 'sharper' than usual. She is very much a house dog anyway and keeping her in isn't going to be a problem at all. There aren't very many dogs round here at all and I might chance a short walk with her every day. If there's any loose dogs around I'll see them comming and I can always just pick her up whether this is wise or not I'm not sure!

Advertisement