Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wannabe Freemason is now a CT mod.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

WIZE wrote: »
    First insult to a Mod , Admin or poster is a ban
    You really haven't read this site much if you believe that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes, actually. .
    Thats just a nonsense, which anyone can see.
    If the guy actually said he had mental health issues that cause normal social interaction to be damaging to him, I'd like to know why he wasn't immediately site-banned for his own good. Seriously. We have rules on this site about giving medical advice and about giving psychological advice. Look them up. They're there for a bloody good reason - namely that we don't have trained psychologists or doctors on staff, and even if we could find them, no competent professional would ever treat or advise a patient in a forum like this one. If you're really worried about this poster's mental health, you're looking for completely the wrong measures to be taken here.

:confused:Im not sure what alll of that is about? What mesures do you think I am looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you're really worried about this poster's mental health, you're looking for completely the wrong measures to be taken here.

I don't think so, I think that the point being made is not to wind up someone who is throwing a mega strop. Like telling an angry ansty teenage who is het up over how life is unfair by telling him that his hair cut does make him look like a girl or that he will have that acne until he is in his 20s. It tips them over the edge unnecessarily.

Then again some parents do that hoping to derail the strop or to fan the flames so it burn out quicker, but it's a risky gambit even if you know the child/teen/person and can watch the reactions.

drkpower wrote: »
    Eh, isnt this the point some of us are making.......?!:confused: I am simply stating that an additional reason not to lower your standards was because of the OPs possible issues.

By lowering of standards I mean putting up with more shít from them/making more effort, then you would with an average poster as they seem to or have said that they have issues.

But I get your point.

drkpower wrote: »
    Thats just a nonsense, which anyone can see.
    Set forth your reasoning. Because I look at this and see a prank and nothing more.
    :confused:Im not sure what alll of that is about? What mesures do you think I am looking for?
    I think you're looking for the Admins/Mods to treat someone with self-confessed serious mental health issues with kid gloves. I'm all for abolishing the social stigma attached to the mere mention of the words "mental health", but if someone (as the OP reportedly did) says they have serious mental health issues, where normal social interaction can cause damage, then they should not be here, for their own sakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Set forth your reasoning. Because I look at this and see a prank and nothing more. I think you're looking for the Admins/Mods to treat someone with self-confessed serious mental health issues with kid gloves. I'm all for abolishing the social stigma attached to the mere mention of the words "mental health", but if someone (as the OP reportedly did) says they have serious mental health issues, where normal social interaction can cause damage, then they should not be here, for their own sakes.

Sparks if I insulted a poster do I get an Infraction

Thaedydal wrote: »
    By lowering of standards I mean putting up with more shít from them/making more effort, then you would with an average poster as they seem to or have said that they have issues.

But I get your point.

Absolutely; the guy deserved a ban and should have been banned; its the little pre-ban fun 'n games cheerled by a bunch of Mods & Admins which I thought was entirely unnecessary and very very unfair. It was only compounded by the fact that most sensible could see that the guy had issues; in that context, the actions of the Admins were pretty dispicable. And the failure to man up to that is sad.

I don't think so, I think that the point being made is not to wind up someone who is throwing a mega strop.
    I don't think I can agree strongly there - if that someone is a teen or a child, hell yes, it'd be sadistic to wind them up; but even then there's a line beyond which people can't go even in mid-strop (and with adults, there's not even the leeway that childhood or teen status gives). Holmes' rules apply (the right to swing your fist ending at the point of the other guy's nose and all that). If you come onto a public forum and throw a strop where you scream and shout at people, and they make a joke back at you (as opposed to say, screaming back, banning you from spite, or doing something more malicious), well I think you'd be getting off lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some here really need to consult the First Rule of Holes.

tbh seems to have learnt something from this thread which is good (thoughly slightly astonished he needed prompting to be honest)

Now will the admin who was indulging in an ill-judged piss-take please stand up?

Sparks if I insulted a poster do I get an Infraction
    Depends on the forum and the insult, but the sanction generally runs from nothing at all (Thunderdome) to a mod editing your post and sending a PM asking you to follow the charter, to a warning, an infraction or an outright ban. It's very dependent on both the insult and the context.

• Advertisement

Set forth your reasoning. Because I look at this and see a prank and nothing more. I think you're looking for the Admins/Mods to treat someone with self-confessed serious mental health issues with kid gloves. I'm all for abolishing the social stigma attached to the mere mention of the words "mental health", but if someone (as the OP reportedly did) says they have serious mental health issues, where normal social interaction can cause damage, then they should not be here, for their own sakes.

I already have set forth my reasoning in detail. In summary, it is only a jibe and a joke if both sides see the funny side; it was clear immediately that the OP did not.

If they shouldnt be here, ban them. Everyone agrees with that. Not treating someone with kid gloves does not equate to ridiculing them, pointing to their mental health issues in public & breaking site rules to do so.

So whats the rule for trolling in feedback and whos the mod or Admin for this forum

I don't think I can agree strongly there - if that someone is a teen or a child, hell yes, it'd be sadistic to wind them up; .

Or someone with already acknowledged mental health problems and who anyone with sense could see had, at the least, some issues and a serious dose of paranoia? Was it sadistic to wind such a person up or fair game? Would it have been better to ban the guy and move on?

I don't think I can agree strongly there - if that someone is a teen or a child, hell yes, it'd be sadistic to wind them up; but even then there's a line beyond which people can't go even in mid-strop (and with adults, there's not even the leeway that childhood or teen status gives).

Which is based on the assumption that adults are more emotionally mature then children and teens. There are a fair few 'adults' who never emotionally mature beyond that of a young teen.
    Holmes' rules apply (the right to swing your fist ending at the point of the other guy's nose and all that). If you come onto a public forum and throw a strop where you scream and shout at people, and they make a joke back at you (as opposed to say, screaming back, banning you from spite, or doing something more malicious), well I think you'd be getting off lightly.

If the poster had of behaved in the exact same way but was a CTer who was far to interested in Zion and it's related conspiracies, would it have been fair to change their avatar and tag line to the Israeli flag, knowing it would cause a melt down?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Set forth your reasoning. Because I look at this and see a prank and nothing more.

Funny how only mods and admins can see it as a prank...

Funny how anyone can see it as a prank really when someone is getting insulted over their mental illness that one or more members of the boards royalty thinks...

Admin A: "I think now would be a really good time to pull a hilarious prank and change a user of this forum that we runs avatar to something that will infuriate them."

Admin B: "Yeah, good idea, sure we are untouchable here anyway". But who will we prank.

Admin A: "How about that chap with the admitted mental health problems? that is about to be site-banned"

Admin B: "I don't know, he seems to displays signs of paranoia, won't it make it worse?"

Admin A: "teeheee heee"

Some pranksters you lot are, fair play to you's

So whats the rule for trolling in feedback and whos the mod or Admin for this forum

LoLth, Trojan

Funny how only mods and admins can see it as a prank...

Like I mentioned changing a person's nick, avatar and sig has been done for giggles on the site for years, esp back when the site was smaller and a lot less mainstream and before it could be found on google searches.

But as I have said times have changed and there are other issues at play here then doing this as a prank, but I can understand the frustration with that poster after he bacame a time sink for mods, cat mods and admins.

I do agree that he should have been site banned before that happened
    hence the question do we lower the standard for people who seem to have issues, how do we tell if a person will get the learning curve or if someone is a lost cause cos they can't/won't learn what type of behaviour is acceptable on the site and adjust?

Or is it that the site is so big now it takes a while before such posters be the trolls or not, are given a finally warning and then site banned?

Are mods/catmods/admins being too soft?
    It's a hard one esp when they get told they are too swift and merciless, rock and a hard place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The "Mods are a big gang out to get everyone" comments aren't totally helpful really... Plenty of mods don't get caught up in threads like this.

Like I mentioned changing a person's nick, avatar and sig has been done for giggles on the site for years, esp back when the site was smaller and a lot less mainstream and before it could be found on google searches.

But as I have said times have changed and there are other issues at play here then doing this as a prank, but I can understand the frustration with that poster after he bacame a time sink for mods, cat mods and admins.

I do agree that he should have been site banned before that happened
    hence the question do we lower the standard for people who seem to have issues, how do we tell if a person will get the learning curve or if somone is a lost cause cos they can't/won't learn what type of behaviour is acceptable on the site and adjust?

Or is it that the site is so big now it takes a while before such posters be the trolls or not, are given a finally warning and then site banned?

Are mods/catmods/admins being too soft?
    It's a hard one.

Too soft? Hardly. The abuse handed out was described as "fair game" by a representative of your site. If it was such a harmless prank who is responsible?

Regardless it was no prank, that only works if it was friendly. This was the schoolground equivalent of a group of big kids holding down the "different" kid while the rest kicked lumps out of him. There was no niceties involved, it was bullying plain and simple.

Y'know what? forget what I just said. It's not like that at all. It's more like a group of teachers holding down the "different" kid and kicking lumps out of him. And then when the parents come to complain the teachers close rank and all they get is "bullying? what bullying?"..."He deserved it!"..."Ah shure it was just a joke".

Dudess wrote: »
    The "Mods are a big gang out to get everyone" comments aren't totally helpful really... Plenty of mods don't get caught up in threads like this.

Your right. And I should make this clear - my comments in this thread are based on what I have seen in this thread alone as I have nothing else to go on really. So I apologise if i have been generalising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I meant in general though, not specifically you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Too soft? Hardly. The abuse handed out was described as "fair game" by a representative of your site. If it was such a harmless prank who is responsible?

Regardless it was no prank, that only works if it was friendly. This was the schoolground equivalent of a group of big kids holding down the "different" kid while the rest kicked lumps out of him. There was no niceties involved, it was bullying plain and simple.

Y'know what? forget what I just said. It's not like that at all. It's more like a group of teachers holding down the "different" kid and kicking lumps out of him. And then when the parents come to complain the teachers close rank and all they get is "bullying? what bullying?"..."He deserved it!"..."Ah shure it was just a joke".

Thats a completely over the top comparison

Thats a completely over the top comparison
    Perhaps; but it is at least more accurate than trying to pass this off as a light hearted prank.

Too soft? Hardly.

I mean in general as a collective and not specifically in this thread.

The abuse handed out was described as "fair game" by a representative of your site.

It is not my site it is a site I post on and give a hand in some of the forums.
    If you are saying it is my site then it's yours too.
    If it was such a harmless prank who is responsible?

I am only a mod in the forums which I mod and I don't have the rank and privileges as an admin, which is what is needed to check and see who did it.
    Regardless it was no prank, that only works if it was friendly.

That I do agree with, what is a prank between two friends, can be bullying between two who are not friends.

We will see over the next few days

When /IF Trojan and LoLth look through this thread

Will we see Infractions beside Mods & Admins names for trolling

Also will and Avatar incident be taken into Account

The OP got Banned for what he was Writing will the Mods and Admins get pulled up on it

Your right. And I should make this clear - my comments in this thread are based on what I have seen in this thread alone as I have nothing else to go on really. So I apologise if i have been generalising.

You have been, cos I certainly asked people to drop the comments about the posters mental health yesterday at 6pm, oh yeah last time I looked I was a mod :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67955493&postcount=31

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

just wanna say that yes alluding to his mental health was bad but its no worse than what he was alluding yekahs to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

It's all fun and game's until Demonspawn emerges from the Bog and stick's a hatchet into a brother's head on Molesworth Street on a meeting night.

Whoever did it should have the ball's to admit it here, if not they're just a faceless coward, so who was it???

He made a lot of valid point's on many thread's, including the Kamikaze one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

aurelius79 wrote: »
    Oh dear, permanent site ban. Did I strike a nerve? Well, this is far from over. Better ban my ip quick.

DS

Was this post just more aurelius BS, or was he and Demonspawn one and the same ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

RopeDrink wrote: »
    The OP went off on an abusive, destructive, threatening and OTT crusade against the entire website, made several claims regarding 'silent attacks' in order to weed out the lecherous 'wannabe freemasons' tampering with his abilities on the website (some of the OP's claims were impossible), logged on to an alt account to slate the (inevitable) decision made against him after he had broken probably every rule in the book and people are getting riled up over a possibly altered avatar and comments regarding mental health?

Granted, I found the mental comments quite cringeworthy and it's not something I'd ever say but thats just me. However it was a very relevant factor and it was clearly going to get mentioned given the OP's posting style and his own mention of said issues elsewhere.

As someone who was at the recieving end of the Avatar & Nickname Change prank many many years ago (to memorable & comic effect) even I'm not totally convinced it was indeed an Admin who performed it. A way was mentioned how the OP could have still done it themselves and everyone dismissed it instantly, crying for blood. Even if it was done by an Admin, I can safely say it was done purely out of jest though wether that sits well with individuals is up to them - Me, personally, I don't think much of it in comparison to what the OP performed in this thread against the entire website itself using an account that was 100% guarantee'd a permanant ban even before the avatar changed (and of which may have very well been done by the OP).

Not here to condone or condemn anything here as I find the entire thread pretty galling and cringeworthy from all angles - Still, I think people read way too deep into things.

Just my opinion, not that it matters - I don't see why this thread is still open, to be perfectly honest.

Thats very nice. So are we going to find out what Admin screwed up, come on, dont be shy:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement