Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Options
  • 11-09-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately the DCM finish line has proved too far over the rainbow for me and I’ve run out of time with this injury. A bit frustrated but nothing to be done only build a bridge and get over it (sounds easy but it’s taken me a few weeks to give in to it)!
    So new log, new goals and new races to get ready for...

A bit of background for anyone who doesn’t know my previous log, female in my early 30’s and took up running at the start of year with aim of doing Dublin. Didn’t go to plan so moving focus to Barcelona now.

Ultimate goal is Barcelona on March 6th. Flights and accommodation booked so all I need to do is get back up and running and get on with this training. Will use Hal Higdon’s novice plan so I have a few weeks to build up a base again before kicking off.
    Planned “Races”/Officially Timed Runs (race suggests I would go fast so am calling them officially timed runs!!)
    • Oct 16th Donadea Forest 10km – my main goal right now
    • Nov 21st: Movember 10km in Phoenix Park – women can enter I believe!
    • Dec 11th: Waterford Half Marathon
    • Jan xx: Raheny 5 miles
    • Mar 6th: Barcelona :)

So back to current time and plan for this week:
    Right I’m still nursing that adductor injury which has me out of running for the past 7 weeks. But it’s responded well to physio so we focused on original problem which was shin splints this morn. Oouch is all I’ll say and I now look like someone has taken a hurley to my shin but no pain, no gain! Physio says I can start back for a 30 min run on grass on Thursday and cross sessions for other days. I chomping on the bit to get out and wishing my week away until Thursday.

So that’s my story for the new log so roll on Thursday, Donadea, Waterford and Barcelona....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds like a good plan :) Plenty of time to try and get things sorted before Barcelona. Should be a fairly decent contingent from here at the Waterford half, the Raheny 5 and in Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Hey Shaz, great to see your new log. Best of luck in your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good luck in your log, I'm strong considering BCN too. Can I ask what kind of a deal you got with accommodation? Anything to help me justify it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

See you in barcelona:D
    Good luck with the log and training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Best of luck, see you in barça

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

christeb wrote: »
    Good luck in your log, I'm strong considering BCN too. Can I ask what kind of a deal you got with accommodation? Anything to help me justify it...:D

Not too bad a deal at all - €300 for 3 nights for a double room situated on Passeig de Gracia which I think is about 2 km away from start line and hotel looks lovely. I used booking.com for it. Flights were only €60 with Aer Lingus sale. Hope this helps in justifying it ;)

Oisin and Osnola looking forward to seeing you in Barcelona :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    See you in barcelona:D
    Good luck with the log and training.

+1 best of luck and see you on the line in barcelone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the new log shazkea! Barca is supposed to be a good one to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with the training & your new log. Barca sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck with the new log and your training for March. I'm doing Barcelona as well, so I'll see you there!

• Advertisement

Great to see the list of boardsies for Barcelona is growing, looking forward to seeing most people on the Aer Lingus flight bythe sounds of it :)

Vanity prevented me from going to gym today - shin looks a disgrace and I'm sure someone would want to know when I got beaten up!! So I took the bike out for a spin around. I forgot how much fun skids are in wet weather - acting like a complete kid on it, next I'll be trying wheelies :cool:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

best of luck with the new goals shazkea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with this training Shaz. Scene 1 generally needs a bit of practice and reassessing before a star performance; just DON'T break a leg!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck with the new log and the new goals!

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck with this training Shaz. Scene 1 generally needs a bit of practice and reassessing before a star performance; just DON'T break a leg!! :)

lol, emm thanks Clara I shall do my best not to :D

Thursday finally arrived and I couldn’t wait for it. Dusted off the Garmin (literally!), laced up the shoes properly (who knew that top loop was there for a purpose) and out I went. First time in almost 8 weeks I was running outside and my allowance was 30 mins on grass. Tried a new warm up routine and off I took. Huffed and puffed my way through the first 5 mins or so and then settled down into a nice rhythm. Adductor, quads and shin felt ok. Icing shin now but more of a precautionary measure.

Things I forgot and need to remember for future reference:
    • I-pods and garmins are not solar powered, they need to be charged!
    • There’s no need to speed up when I’m passing walkers
    • Do not throw dirty looks at runners – that’s only for when I’m out injured and jealous. When running smile and be chirpy!
    • Dogs and long leads are a bloody nuisance
    • Wind – I’ll say no more
    • I love that 1 mile beep alert on the garmin
    • How great it is to be able to run again :D
    Distance: 3.01 miles
    Time: 31.57
    Average Pace: 10:37

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great you're back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice one. Welcome back. Ease back into it. Don't end up a crock like the rest of us!

Nice one. Welcome back. Ease back into it. Don't end up a crock like the rest of us!

Thanks Krusty, no fear taking it nice and easy this time. As for ending up a crock like the rest of ye, you're all putting me to shame with the great times yesterday. Best of luck in Berlin too

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Aha, here you are, wondered where your log was gone. Well good to see your out and about again, good luck with the new log, and I'll see you in Waterford. I'm trying to persuade mr gypsy to sign up for Barcelona, just so I can go too! Thinking of buying him it for his birthday - 'happy birthday honey, go run another 26+ miles':D good plan eh?! Enjoy being back out there.

• Advertisement

Very tame post compared to rest of you - no half marathon time to post unfortunately :(.
    Well done to everybody who ran yesterday, great times. Sounds like there might be a few heading to Waterford too so see you there :)

After having a look at the race start yesterday, went off to physio. Good session and am allowed 2 x 30 mins sessions this week so will plan those for Tue and Thur. If these go ok, I can do an LSR next weekend but not getting ahead of myself yet.

5 hour hike today in the Mournes which is longest I spent on legs in a while. Good cross training session and also going to count it as a core session too!! Extremely muddy/wet and worked every muscle trying to hold balance in a few precarious spots. Fun tho :)

Roll on Tuesday as I can't wait to get out again!

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Aha, here you are, wondered where your log was gone. Well good to see your out and about again, good luck with the new log, and I'll see you in Waterford. I'm trying to persuade mr gypsy to sign up for Barcelona, just so I can go too! Thinking of buying him it for his birthday - 'happy birthday honey, go run another 26+ miles':D good plan eh?! Enjoy being back out there.

Wow that would be a very thoughtful pressie to give him, I'm sure he would be thrilled with it ;). I'll be seeing you in Barca too so!!

Monday 20th Sept

Gym session with 30 mins of cardio and then strength & stretch. Nuff said there!

Tuesday 21st Sept

Planned 3 miles tonight so off I took remembering to charge my ipod this time! Changed my warm-up routine to dynamic stretching/drills instead of static stretches and feels much easier on the first mile so far. Feel like a pleb doing it but if it works so what!!
    Realised at the end I did this faster than I should have as am supposed to be sticking to a slower pace ~ 10 min + pace - will slow down thursday! Still feels great to be out there.

Distance: 3.01
    Time: 29:18
    Avg Pace: 9:44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

shazkea, good to hear you're back...Will be joining you in Barcelona as long as my little toe x-ray (post DCM) shows nothing more than a stress fracture..;)...Barca appears to be great value, entry fee, flights and hotels as things stand!

Fantastic news that you're back. You must be thrilled. :D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    shazkea, good to hear you're back...Will be joining you in Barcelona as long as my little toe x-ray (post DCM) shows nothing more than a stress fracture..;)...Barca appears to be great value, entry fee, flights and hotels as things stand!

Thanks Digger and great to hear you're coming to Barca too. Good luck with DCM and hopefully your toe will be ok!! Love the post DCM comment, you nutter :D. Yeah really surprised at how good value Barca is, looks like it's going to be a great weekend.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Fantastic news that you're back. You must be thrilled. :D

Cheers :). Yeah I'm really happy but trying not to get as obsessed as I did last time - failing miserably though!! You're doing really well, can't wait to see how you do in the DCM.

shazkea wrote: »
    You're doing really well, can't wait to see how you do in the DCM.

Nor can I!! :D
    I hover between super confident and fits of panic! I can't wait though.

Plan: 3 miles to see how everything holds up to running twice in one week!

Thought I would try out a new route this evening and have to admit I hated the first half of the run. Mainly because I was wearing a rain jacket and it was just too warm and sweaty. I had no clue where I was going but found myself back at my car at 1.49 miles - very convenient!! Dumped the jacket and set off for another loop and much nicer. Even enjoyed the puddle/lake jumping and the downpours!!

So 2 X 3 milers done. Quad is niggly so icing that but shin is ok. Curious to see how it would be after an LSR though. Physio tomorrow eve so will see what plan is for next week - fingers crossed for 3 sessions next week :)

Distance: 3.02
    Time: 30.46
    Avg Pace: 10.11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

shazkea wrote: »
    . Even enjoyed the puddle/lake jumping and the downpours!!

Hope all goes well for you shaz!!....I ended up in a serious puddle today when I had to divert onto a grass verge cos a 37 yr old Grandmother and her 18 yr old Daughter along with kids, Darrd-in, shard-in, kard-in and warrd-in were spread across the pavement up my way in Pram Springs and "dey werd-ent movin for no fookin jogger" :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Physio on Friday and it pretty much rendered me speechless. Otherwise either screams or a host of obsenities would have flowed out of my mouth. Lots of times I thought why am I paying for this torture :eek:. Recovered Friday night with the aid of an ice pack and lots of wine - wine was purely for medicinal purposes of course :). Pity Arnica doesn't work on hangovers too!!

Anyway back up to 3 runs this week so I suppose it must be worth it.

Plan for this week.

Monday | 3 miles
    Tuesday | Cross
    Wednesday | 3 miles
    Thursday | Cross
    Friday |3 miles
    Saturday | Rest
    Sunday | Hike

Advertisement