Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Great running Shaz.
    Heck of a chunk to take off a PB - and with those conditions too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done Shaz. Hopefully you wouldn't have to worry about weather like yesterday's when you're in Barca :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great stuff shaz, well done :D
    shazkea wrote: »
    I BTW did anyone notice the ould fella cheering us on with a smithwicks can in hand near the garage :D

That would be Tawdy! He's a deise landmark. Hail, rain or shine, you can be guaranteed that Tawdy will be there by the Halfway House with can/flaggan/bottle in hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done. That is a great time. Sorry we didnt' meet up afterwards... next race definitely! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

RubyK wrote: »
    Great stuff shaz, well done :D

That would be Tawdy! He's a deise landmark. Hail, rain or shine, you can be guaranteed that Tawdy will be there by the Halfway House with can/flaggan/bottle in hand!

That hilarious. I was cursing the wind till I saw him and thought well if he can brave the elements so can I!!

• Advertisement

Plan for week Jan 17th
    Monday | 75 Min X (should be rest but swapped yesterdays)
    Tuesday | 4 easy miles
    Wednesday | 50 Min X
    Thursday | 8 Miles
    Friday |60 Min X
    Saturday | Rest
    Sunday | 17 Mile LSR

Feeling a bit guilty now after reading the Waterford HM reports with some brilliant times. Here was I laughing and chatting around the 2nd half especially :rolleyes:. Part of me thinks I should have pushed it and other part is saying flip you enjoyed it and that's what it is about.

LSR this week frightens me but then looked at LSR for this time last year which was a whole 3 miles and I struggled to finish it :)

Would this running addiction ever give me a break! The exact same injuries that cropped up last summer have reared their ugly heads again - shin and adductor/hip flexor. Apt timing as well since my physio is out of the country for a few weeks and I forgot to get an alternate reccommendation from him...:(
    I've spent the last few nights in the gym stretching, strenghting, cross-training, icing etc...the mid-week runs I can handle missing (barely) but I cannot miss the LSR's at this stage. Cardio wise I'm keeping up but I need time on my feet.
    I'm trying to think positively that this is only a minor glitch but it's hard. It's not helping that it's fantastic running weather out!

Any alternate recommendations for good physio's gladly welcomed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Where abouts do you live Shaz? I know a great physio but he's in Dundrum. I can PM details if necessary..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PM sent

menoscemo wrote: »
    Where abouts do you live Shaz? I know a great physio but he's in Dundrum. I can PM details if necessary..

Am northside (malahide/balbriggan) direction but would drive to Tipperary if it meant I got this sorted...and that's saying something from a Clare woman :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thats great...well done!

So professional verdict is a pulled quadriceps muscle...and advised to take a few weeks rest! Not really an option and def not what I wanted to hear! So we compromised on me running only on flat and significantly reducing the mileage i.e. no long runs. I will try it out on Sunday but am under orders to stop if I feel the slightest twinge.

50/50 on Barca at the moment. Am I mad to think I can still do this with only 16 miles under my belt - sub 4:30 is no longer a goal, I simply want to finish it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Sorry to hear about the injury but you still have time and hopefully if you can do some easy running & cardio you wouldn't lose much fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah no Shaz that sucks, I'm terrified something similar is going to happen to me. Hopefully you get through it quickly, without too much of a setback. Keeping the fingers crossed it heals quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sorry to hear that Shaz, it totally sucks. Be good and listen to physio's orders and your body though, no matter how difficult that might be!

As DJ said keep up the cross training. Even if you have to do it 5 times a week instead of running altogether for a week or two. It'll keep your fitness levels up and give the muscles a proper chance to recover.

Chin up dude :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So sorry to hear about the injury Shaz. Hopefully it wont end your plans for Barca. Do everything the physio advises and you never know- you might make it. I got injured 6 weeks before Dublin 09 and was told I shouldnt do it but I rested, iced, stretched, cross trained and made it in the end. Fingers crossed for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Thats terrible Shaz. As others have said can you keep up cross training?
    Did you go out today?

Ah sh*te shaz, really sorry that you're injured!

Would aqua jogging be of any interest to you, to keep your fitness levels up? It was recommended to me by my physio when I picked up the injury before DCM (but I don't like pools, so I didn't actually try it :o), and I have also seen in mentioned in other threads? Might be worth asking your physio about.

Fingers crossed for you!

That is awful news Shaz. :( Keep the faith, you never know how things will pan out.

Ah cheers guys, I really appreciate the good wishes. I was feeling sorry for myself so that's just the motivation I needed :)

Fri & Sat - cross training in the gym with plenty of stretching and strength exercises! Not allowed on cross trainer so bike and rower only - not very exciting

Sun: rest, plenty of chocolate and generally feeling sorry for myself :rolleyes:

Mon: Realised I'd put about a stone on after yesterdays antics so had to get out! 4 painfully slow miles (literally) but so good to be out there. I had to stop and stretch a few times. Wore compression shorts under tights to try and keep the muscles warm and now applying the ice!
    On positive side my Waterford AC beanie finally got an outing :)

Summary:
    Distance: 4.02
    Time: 43:18
    Avg Pace: 10:46 :eek:

Away with work for rest of week with no gym or running routes available - not sure how I am going to get any sort of training in :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Sorry to hear you're injured Shazkea. How frustraing for you!

Maybe the week off will do you the world of good. A blessing in disguise?

Wed Jan 26th

I brought my running gear with me just in case I could find a route to get out. Managed to find a path to run up and down but it was a tough sore run. Still it was time on feet!

Distance: 3.21
    Time: 33:33
    Avg Pace: 10:28

Sat Jan 29th

Back in Dub so went to the park to try and get some sort of long run in. No plan in mind, just see how far I could go! I would love to say all is cured and is a was a great run but that would be a lie! Another tough uncomfortable run so took it nice and easy and tried to enjoy being out. Surprisingly I managed 17 miles and I took a couple of gels on this run which def helped. Leg a bit sore now so will just take it easy for eve.
    Apart from being my longest run so far, this was my first time breaking the 3 hour mark :)
    Gym on agenda for tomorrow for plenty of stretching and some recovery cross-training. Fingers crossed leg is ok after a nights rest!

Distance: 17.02
    Time: 3:04:14
    Avg Pace: 10:49

I want my running mojo back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

17 miles? And you are still missing your mojo?? WOW! 3 hours of running...WOW again!
    Well done and I cannot wait to hear what you do when your mojo returns!!:)

maria74 wrote: »
    17 miles? And you are still missing your mojo?? WOW! 3 hours of running...WOW again!
    Well done and I cannot wait to hear what you do when your mojo returns!!:)

I second that. 17 miles is quite an achievement! Well done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

That's a savage run missus! Don't be so hard on yourself. Keep up the good work :)

Nice one shaz! You kept on going, even though you weren't feeling the love for it. That kind of determination will really stand to you.

Cheers guys - its not the putting in the miles I have a problem with - it's the niggles and aches that come with each step :mad:

Went to physio again and she suggested I find out how long course is open for coz there's no way I can run it and I should look into walking it...cheeky b***h! She thought I should also retire from my illustrious running career. Not impressed and also not taking one bit of notice of her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cheers guys - its not the putting in the miles I have a problem with - it's the niggles and aches that come with each step :mad:

Went to physio again and she suggested I find out how long course is open for coz there's no way I can run it and I should look into walking it...cheeky b***h! She thought I should also retire from my illustrious running career. Not impressed and also not taking one bit of notice of her!

Sounds like you need to switch physio.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to switch physio.

Yup exactly what I was thinking and time to take a trip to the Southside like you suggested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Say to her that she's a crap physio and that she needs to retire from her career. See how she likes that :D

Advertisement