Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

To be honest I can only laugh about this post...

Am now on crutches for gammy ankle that I thought was fixed but appartently isn't!!
    So off to gym now for another evening of cross-training. Pain in my ass (literally) from the bike and rower but needs must! Still intending on doing this marathon even if I have to crawl it so legs better start behaving :rolleyes:... because I'm not going to get an ounce of sense in the next few weeks and quit!

Jaysus I'll be lucky to break a sub 6 at the rate I'm going :eek:

Say to her that she's a crap physio and that she needs to retire from her career. See how she likes that :D

LOL but emm maybe she has a point after post above!!! Would almost book another appointment with her after marathon just so I could say "I told you I'd finish it"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    shazkea wrote: »
    To be honest I can only laugh about this post...

Am now on crutches for gammy ankle that I thought was fixed but appartently isn't!!
    So off to gym now for another evening of cross-training. Pain in my ass (literally) from the bike and rower but needs must! Still intending on doing this marathon even if I have to crawl it so legs better start behaving :rolleyes:... because I'm not going to get an ounce of sense in the next few weeks and quit!

Jaysus I'll be lucky to break a sub 6 at the rate I'm going :eek:

crutches? Oh no! But you are still going to the gym? Ha would love to see the faces of people as you hop over to the machines....bet you will be talking point of gym!
    That is determination of highest order. I hope it's not serious and all I can say is you put me to shame!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Oh no Shaz, that is awful news. I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

maria74 wrote: »

crutches? Oh no! But you are still going to the gym? Ha would love to see the faces of people as you hop over to the machines....bet you will be talking point of gym!
    That is determination of highest order. I hope it's not serious and all I can say is you put me to shame!!:)

Nah they're taking no notice of me in the gym - always someone hopping around...seems to be a mecca for injured people!!

It'll calm down soon enough and I'll back running again in no time - just means my time in Barca will be crap but that's not the end of the world!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Am northside (malahide/balbriggan) direction but would drive to Tipperary if it meant I got this sorted...and that's saying something from a Clare woman :)

Ah, Shaz...There's only about €900,000 a house between the two of those ;) I hope you get things sorted out quickly! Would never give medical advice (Disclaimer ; Unless it was to do with an STD - I'm joking folks....:D) But I did read an article recently that referred to 'us' dragging/shuffling our legs as opposed to lifting our knees, generally losing form on longer runs and causing additional injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Bloody hell shaz, you are being tested to the max by injuries :( Look after yourself.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Ah, Shaz...There's only about €900,000 a house between the two of those ;) I hope you get things sorted out quickly! Would never give medical advice (Disclaimer ; Unless it was to do with an STD - I'm joking folks....:D) But I did read an article recently that referred to 'us' dragging/shuffling our legs as opposed to lifting our knees, generally losing form on longer runs and causing additional injury!

You may have a point here - on my crap running form and also house price diff!!!

I do notice at the end of runs kerbs pose a problems...awful things at the end of a run...or for some during a run :(

RubyK wrote: »
    Bloody hell shaz, you are being tested to the max by injuries :( Look after yourself.

I'm actually in training for the days after the marathon when stairs, pain etc are supposed to pose a problem; it'll be a breeze to me coz I'm so used to it at this stage :rolleyes:

Also thinking of changing my log title to "How not to train for a marathon"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I do notice at the end of runs kerbs pose a problems...awful things at the end of a run...or for some during a run :(

:pac:

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sorry to hear that Shaz. Talk about socking it to the anti-marathon gods though. You’re a trooper! I hurt my shin on Wednesday and I’ve practically been in my slippers all week! Hope you feel better soon. :)

Just read back over your log and you are being tested alright with the injuries, you are surely due an injury break.
    Hope you are doing ok :)

maria74 wrote: »
    Just read back over your log and you are being tested alright with the injuries, you are surely due an injury break.
    Hope you are doing ok :)

If I'm completely honest I've no-one but myself to blame for these injuries. I have no patience and keep coming back too quick :rolleyes:. I just find it impossible to rest and sit still.

You're right, I am due an injury break though and that would be really good if it could happen around the first week in March and also next Sat for my last LSR!!!

Woke up in a cold sweat this morning realising that it's less than 4 weeks to Barca and I've only 17 under the belt :eek::eek::eek::eek:.
    Last chance saloon for an LSR next Sat before taper madness begins! Fcuk no pressure then!

So to distract myself I started thinking about my next set of goals/races...
    <Note this assumes I survive Barca and actually want to run another step in my life again!!>

• St Patricks Festival 5km (purely to stretch the legs)
    • GIR 10km April
    • Great Limerick Run 10km or half (undecided!)
    • Kildare Half Marathon
    • Adidas Race Series
    • DCM (??? that's a big maybe depending on Mar 6th)
    Any other suggestions??

I like your enthusiasm. The morning after DCM, I was itching to sign up for another marathon.
    Am jealous of all you Barcelona lot if I'm honest. It will have to be Cork or Kildare for me I think.....

jcsmum wrote: »
    I like your enthusiasm. The morning after DCM, I was itching to sign up for another marathon.
    Am jealous of all you Barcelona lot if I'm honest. It will have to be Cork or Kildare for me I think.....

Nope that's not enthusiasm, that's me trying everything not to think about a certain marathon in 3.5 weeks!!

Kildare or Cork, thats a tough one...I have to say Kildare half was well orgainsed last year but I heard Cork has a good atmosphere too. Sorry I'm no help to you!!

Still not running so gym still on the agenda. Very boring so I couldn't be bothered updating log to say how many mins I spent on a bike that does not move!

Very frustrating! Hope to be back running at w-end.

Also checked that Barca course opens for 6 hours so 5:59 may be my new time goal :mad::mad::mad:

Still not running so gym still on the agenda. Very boring so I couldn't be bothered updating log to say how many mins I spent on a bike that does not move!

Very frustrating! Hope to be back running at w-end.

Also checked that Barca course opens for 6 hours so 5:59 may be my new time goal :mad::mad::mad:

Ah, don't say that! Keep the spirits up.

Hey shaz, I know it's absolutely head-wrecking to be injured so close to the marathon, but don't loose faith. You'll get to the start line and more importantly the finish line, and what happens inbetween will really surprise you ;)

Stay positive.

Sorry guys, complete moany cow at the moment. Missing those running endorphins!

Thanks for the encouragement and will banish those negative thoughts (admittedly with the help of some chocolate!)

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, complete moany cow at the moment. Missing those running endorphins!

You're not moany at all. I had a mini-meltdown when I picked up an injury before Dublin. You are an awful lot calmer sounding than I was :o

Fingers crossed for the LSR next weekend. I have a good feeling about it, and your Barcelona adventure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RubyK wrote: »
    I had a mini-meltdown when I picked up an injury before Dublin.
    I had one of those last weekend! It happens any time you get the slightest twinge during marathon training...

My normal physio back in the country (TG!) so I was in to see him in a flash yesterday. Inflamed ankle joint (which other physios said)- explanation though is probably due to compensating for quad injury on other leg :rolleyes:. But he also noticed some tenderness on bone in foot which is more worrying - there was a mention of the dreaded stress fracture term :eek:.

So 3 milestones I have to get through during the week if I am to make Barca

Monday: 3 Miles
    Wednesday: 5 Miles
    Friday: LSR 15+

If I can't get through any of those, simple...MRI time and I'm out!!

Everything is crossed for this week to go well - so nervous though it's not even funny any more. If I'm all tense, thats not going to help my running...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Best of luck this week, hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Ooh! Fingers crossed for you. Hope it's a positive week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah good luck this week Shaz, hope it works out well for you. Fingers crossed you don't need the MRI. Think positive thoughts...

Everything crossed for you Shaz.

Picture the success, all about sports psychology so they say.

Best of luck! :D

Everything crossed for you Shaz. So disappointed that you are facing this so close to Barca. :(

Sending you positive thoughts shaz that you'll be good to go for Barca!

• Advertisement

...in the bag :D

Needed this to go ok and it did - I have to admit at the start it felt like I had just taken up running again but I guess it has been almost 3 weeks since I did a short run. Def some fitness lost but more importantly foot feels ok so far...roll on Wednesday. Will do some cross-training tomorrow to keep it ticking over.

Distance: 3.02
    Time: 30:53
    Avg Pace: 10:14

Advertisement