Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Delighted for you Shaz, hope it all comes together now - you deserve for it to! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That's great shaz! Best of luck for tomorrows physio visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Plan 5 miles...

I had to take some time out to calm down after this run. I hated every sec of it and came close to quitting lots of times. It's just not clicking for me at the moment and it just feels messy, uncomfortable and everything aches.

Sense tells me I should give up and throw the towel in for Barca but for some reason I just can't - definitely crossed well over to the stupidity line now. I will give the LSR a lass and if I can't do 15+ comfortably or I'm struggling to walk properly the next day, that's it, I will cop on and put a stop to this.

I just want to run properly again and more importantly enjoy it.

Distance: 5.01 miles
    Time: 52:20
    Pace: 10:27

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah Shaz, I'm sorry that the training is not coming together for you. Just be careful and listen to your body. Hope you get your groove back soon :)

I have finally admitted defeat and am pulling out of Barca. Limping today so realistically there is no way I could run a mile let alone 15+ tomorrow.

So going to take a few weeks rest and then try and get back to enjoying running. No more talks of a marathon and feel free to whack me if anyone hears me mentioning I want to do a marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah no Shaz, really?:( That sucks so much, really sorry for you, hope you're back on track soon. Are you going to Barcelona anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear it, especially after all the work you've put in.:(

The marathon isn't the be-all and end-all of running though - do some shorter races, have some fun, and maybe go back to the long stuff in a couple of years.

Yes i am :(. I will be cheering you on from the sidelines and would be on for meeting up for celebratory drink(s) :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it, especially after all the work you've put in.:(

The marathon isn't the be-all and end-all of running though - do some shorter races, have some fun, and maybe go back to the long stuff in a couple of years.

Cheers Ray, I agree with you and yeah that's the plan - just going to have some fun with the shorter races for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Will have to get your number, because my OH will be there wandering the streets, waiting for me. You could start a cheering squad for the boardsies on their way around (just make sure you hang around long enough for me to finish ;))

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    Will have to get your number, because my OH will be there wandering the streets, waiting for me. You could start a cheering squad for the boardsies on their way around (just make sure you hang around long enough for me to finish ;))

Yeah perfect, there will be a few of us watching it so the more the merrier. Will PM you my num.

So gutted for you. :( I like your attitude though. I can't think of anything comforting to say..... it sucks big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Ah Shaz, that's awful news. Gutted for you. You've a great attitude though. And sure you'll have a fun weekend away the very least. You'll definitely have to join me for the Duathlon season this summer so? New focus... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Sorry to hear that Barca is out for you, Shaz, its tough after you put in all the effort but chin up, I'm sure you'll bounce back after a well-earned break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Shaz, so sorry to hear that it's off.
    Hope you have a really nice weekend away though, and take some time to sign up for a few shorter races, which will be a lot less stressful at least. :)

claralara wrote: »
    Ah Shaz, that's awful news. Gutted for you. You've a great attitude though. And sure you'll have a fun weekend away the very least. You'll definitely have to join me for the Duathlon season this summer so? New focus... :)

Oooh I forgot about those - count me in as they sound like fun!! Must go dust off the bike and pump up those tyres...and remove anything that was hanging off it - tis a great coat hanger!

Also just paid a deposit on a trip up Kilimanjaro in August. Might as well use my running as training for that since I won't be training for a marathon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Sorry to hear about the marathon but your positivity is great. A trip up Kilimanjaro - sounds amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Ah sh*t, sorry to hear. You'll enjoy the weekend a lot more without all the nerves anyway and you'll be fresh as a daisy on the sunday drinking session. You never know, put in a good summer and the dcm might be on for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry to hear that - .... but love the way you're handling it .... wow Kilimanjaro !

Get those injuries sorted. A new physio is definitely required - they are supposed to help you get to where you're going not tell you what you can't do ... this coming after DCM suggests a fresh look might be just what you need. You've done a lot of good work - it will stand to you somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sorry to hear that Shaz, but ti sounds like the sensible thing. See you in barca anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Gutted for your shaz :( You've put in so much hard work, it really is unlucky to say the least.

But, you've made the right decision, and it's brilliant that you have the goal of Kilimanjaro to keep you aiming high!

A bit of a rest and recuperation, and you'll find the enjoyment of running (painfree!) again.

Mind yourself ;)

Ah sh*t, sorry to hear. You'll enjoy the weekend a lot more without all the nerves anyway and you'll be fresh as a daisy on the sunday drinking session. You never know, put in a good summer and the dcm might be on for you.

Not a chance I will be fresh as a daisy for Sunday's drinking session. I plan on sampling lots of spanish beer and wine on saturday night...I'll need the distraction of that hangover if I watching all you running.

Forgot the only pro of pulling out of the race is I can now enjoy alcohol guilt free :P

I haven't been on a while so just said I would give a quick update.

Doctors visited, MRI done and waiting on confirmation of results from doc but looking like a stress fracture on right foot so it was the right decision to pull out of Barcelona.

Bar those 2 runs while trying to convince myself nothing was wrong, off running 4 weeks now and prob 3 more to go before I can start back. Damm but I'm missing running in this lovely weather. Avoided reading logs in the past week after I had a complete meltdown and a few weepy sessions :o

God Shaz, you could have done some serious damage there - lucky you are on the road to recovery. Hopefully the 3 weeks will fly by for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Keep the head up Shaz, I know it must be soooo disappointing for you now but you need to focus on healing and remember that there will always be more races. You will get better and you will run Barcalona one day!

Advertisement