Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hope all goes well for you shaz!!....I ended up in a serious puddle today when I had to divert onto a grass verge cos a 37 yr old Grandmother and her 18 yr old Daughter along with kids, Darrd-in, shard-in, kard-in and warrd-in were spread across the pavement up my way in Pram Springs and "dey werd-ent movin for no fookin jogger" :eek::eek:

Brilliant :D

Couldn't get a nicer evening for a run - sun setting by the sea as the Kayakers and swans collided...not sure who was more surprised by that, me, the kayaker or the swan!

Shin a little tender but that's more to do with the bruising than the shin itself which is good.

Distance: 3 Miles
    Time: 28:33
    Avg Pace: 9.31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done, keep it going!

Plan: 3 miles
    Actual: 3.63 miles
    Time: 36.20
    Avg Pace: 10:00

Really frustrated after tonight’s run and thought about chucking the whole running idea altogether.

Delayed after work which meant had to change to a route with lighting. I hadn’t run this route since finishing the C25K plan in Mar. This route worked well for starting to run because no-one was able to see me plodding around and I didn’t feel intimidated!! Anyway started out this eve and all old crap came flooding back. Huffing and puffing on the hills and generally not enjoying it. Felt like I had made no progress at all over the year and it was all just a waste of time and a pipe dream.

Uploaded garmin details and out of curiosity checked the time I clocked for the last time I ran it in March – 3.68 in 43:37...so slightly cheered up after seeing that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

shazkea wrote: »

Really frustrated after tonight’s run and thought about chucking the whole running idea altogether.

Delayed after work which meant had to change to a route with lighting. I hadn’t run this route since finishing the C25K plan in Mar. This route worked well for starting to run because no-one was able to see me plodding around and I didn’t feel intimidated!! Anyway started out this eve and all old crap came flooding back. Huffing and puffing on the hills and generally not enjoying it. Felt like I had made no progress at all over the year and it was all just a waste of time and a pipe dream.

Uploaded garmin details and out of curiosity checked the time I clocked for the last time I ran it in March – 3.63 in 43:37...so slightly cheered up after seeing that!!

Sheesh! Don't know what's to be frustrated about?! 7 minutes faster on the same 3 miles in 6 months is fairly defined progress, I'd say. Congrats on that! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Uploaded garmin details and out of curiosity checked the time I clocked for the last time I ran it in March – 3.68 in 43:37...so slightly cheered up after seeing that!!

We all have runs like that when things just don't go to plan. The next run will be better (I guarantee it!) :)

Cheers, I appreciate it.

Just a confidence knock really - I expected it to be effortless (-ish) and it wasn't. I suppose if I had gone at pace from last March it would have been. Maybe that's what I need to do - do the route again next week at that pace (11.51 - twud want to be easier going that slow!!)

Same old gremlins - if I'm finding 3+ miles tough at 10 min pace, how in the hell am I going to do 26.2!! 2 words - Hal Higdon...:D

You're right though, everyone has these crappy days so just learn from them and move on to next run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Same old gremlins - if I'm finding 3+ miles tough at 10 min pace, how in the hell am I going to do 26.2!!

Ha ha! I had the EXACT same thoughts in the last few weeks of my training. The advice I was given was to just keep plugging, and trust in the training. If you've done the training, you've done the hard work and the rewards will be yours. :D

Chill. You'll be grand! :cool:

Emer911 wrote: »
    Ha ha! I had the EXACT same thoughts in the last few weeks of my training. The advice I was given was to just keep plugging, and trust in the training. If you've done the training, you've done the hard work and the rewards will be yours. :D

Chill. You'll be grand! :cool:

LOL - thanks back in positive mood again and ready to kick ass. Patience was never my strongest point!!

Signed up for the Chi Running workshop with Catherina McKiernan tomorrow. Here the agenda for anyone interested
    The one day workshops start at 10am and finish at 5pm and costs 150 euro per person including lunch which can be paid on the day. The day is all about learning to run to reduce impact on the body and make running less of an effort and eliminate injuries. It is suitable for everyone who likes to run, regardless of standard or age. I video-tape everyone at the start of the class to see their style of running and then we go indoors and go through the ChiRunning focuses through a series of drills and exercises. The drills are the cornerestone of the whole technique and these can be practice in every day life, so that they become a familiar occurence.
    This takes about two hours and then we go outside for an easy relaxed practice run where I talk the group through one focus at a time. This is an opportunity for people to practice and get the feel of running with good mechanics in their body. The run last 20 minutes and is very easy.
    After lunch we analysis the video-tape. This is a great learning tool for people and I pick out what people may need to change with their running form to prevent or clear up a particular injury and how they can make running less of an effort and easier on their bodies. One or two changes can help people greatly with their running form.
    We cover some more aspects of the ChiRunning technique, and have a questions and answers session and I answer a wide range of running related questions. I show the group body loosening exercises to do before running and stretches for after running.

We finish off the day with an easy run and this gives people an opportunity to practice under my watchful eye. I run along with each person individually at different stages and I make sure everyone is going home happy, knowing and understanding what they need to practice to help with their running form.
    It is a most enjoyable and informative day. If you would like to attend the workshop on Saturday next, please let me know as soon as possible and I will reserve a place for you.

I update my website on a regular basis with dates and venues for workshops around different parts of the country. I add new dates for workshops to my website on a regular basis.
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact me or if you want more information on ChiRunning you can visit my website www.catherinamckiernan.com or www.chirunning .com

Anyone on here done this before? Really interested to hear about the running form as I'm picking up way too many injuries with my gammy flat footed leg!!

• Advertisement

Friday Oct 1st
    Plan today was 3 miles but because of workshop tomorrow I swapped and decided on cross training today. I went to the gym and started on the bike but those bloody treadmills were calling to me like a little devil sitting on my shoulder...cmon and run, you know you want to! I was too weak to resist and hopped on for a couple of miles. Damm...still hate those things tho! Finished off with some strength exercises.

Saturday Oct 2nd
    I had the Chi Running course today with Catherina McKiernan. Started with her video taping you run in the morning and then going through the principles and drills for chi running. We then had a run before lunch to practice the techniques in a group run. After lunch we analysed the video tapes and then finally spent some time running on our own to put everything into practice with Catherina sharing feedback and tips with us on an individual basis.
    I will admit to wondering whether this was a good idea bearing in mind the cost but the idea of improving your form under the watchful eye of Catherina sold it for me. I found it extremely beneficial as looking at my technique it was awful. I lean right back resulting in bouncing, heel strikes and too rigid a posture all of which contribute to my injuries. Running with the new techniques/tips all my muscles felt much more relaxed. It still feels a bit like I am falling forward but in reality I’m not, just too used to leaning back!! Thumbs up from me and hopefully it’s a good investment in my training for Barca and the rest of my runs!

Shame the Red Army didn’t round off a perfectly good day for me....and don’t get me started on the Aviva stadium. I’m nearly counting that walk around the (chaotic) turnstiles as cross training..../rant :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Ronanmac did the Chi running workshop a while back. I remember him saying how he felt it beneficial at the time but I don't know if he maintained the changes longer term.

littlebug wrote: »
    Ronanmac did the Chi running workshop a while back. I remember him saying how he felt it beneficial at the time but I don't know if he maintained the changes longer term.

Thanks littlebug, will check out his log and see how he is getting on with it.

Plan for week Oct 4th

Monday | 5 miles
    Tuesday | Cross
    Wednesday | 3 miles
    Thursday | 3 miles
    Friday |Physio :eek::eek:
    Saturday | Recover from physio or Simon 5 mile fun run
    Sunday | Cross

Monday Oct 4th
    Start of LSR’s today...yippee. Plan today was 5 miles ( *cough actual instruction from physio was 45 mins, say nothing *cough...)
    No brain cells were working when I picked this route; gale blowing out and I’m running along the coast, WTF!! Some miles were really tough into that wind, lost my cap a few times and had to go chasing after that like a loon.
    I did work on the techniques from Saturday and I like it. It’s sort of a lazy mid-foot stride which is right up my alley. So a nice slow re-start to the LSR’s and enjoyed running in the rain. Only thing is I’m freezing now and struggling to warm up.
    Actual: 6.02
    Time: 1:06
    Avg Pace: 10:58 mins/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice work there shazkea! Thanks for sharing the Chi Running info, it's very interesting.

Keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Physio on Friday and it pretty much rendered me speechless. Otherwise either screams or a host of obsenities would have flowed out of my mouth. Lots of times I thought why am I paying for this torture :eek:. Recovered Friday night with the aid of an ice pack and lots of wine - wine was purely for medicinal purposes of course :). Pity Arnica doesn't work on hangovers too!!

Anyway back up to 3 runs this week so I suppose it must be worth it.

Plan for this week.

Mark sure knows how to make it sting alright!

Saturday Oct 2nd
    I had the Chi Running course today with Catherina McKiernan. I will admit to wondering whether this was a good idea bearing in mind the cost but the idea of improving your form under the watchful eye of Catherina sold it for me.
    Shame the Red Army didn’t round off a perfectly good day for me....:mad:

Think of the cost as similar to a pair of runners and they only last a while, hopefully what you learned will last a lot longer...and on your other point....Allez les D4 bleus.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

Hi Shazkea,
    I did the Chi running course in Fota ( Cork ) last June/July, best thing ever
    very little ITB pain and have got a lot quicker, ( We will see for DCM ).
    I have found the trick is to RELAX as you run, keep your form and move your arms as shown, Apart form that concentrate every few minutes to relax all parts of your body especially your calfs, Buy the book €10
    and read and reread. The running form you have been shown will help you no end, Keep up the good work and head up,
    Gary

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Think of the cost as similar to a pair of runners and they only last a while, hopefully what you learned will last a lot longer...and on your other point....Allez les D4 bleus.....;)

Very true or I was thinking of reduced visits to the physio!!

As for les D4 bleus, def some Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's sitting behind us, they were more entertaining than the match. To quote a few (to be said in the best D4 accent...) "look at the GAA(AAA...) head on your man" before launching into a rousing rendition of the Dublin GAA football anthem "Cmon you boys in Blue"...they were referring to Mick O'Driscoll!
    Other brill one was when David Wallace came on..."oh dear they're swapping a thief for a robber there"....WTF!

BTW I was there with a Leinster man and we were both roaring laughing!

Cindyss wrote: »
    Hi Shazkea,
    I did the Chi running course in Fota ( Cork ) last June/July, best thing ever
    very little ITB pain and have got a lot quicker, ( We will see for DCM ).
    I have found the trick is to RELAX as you run, keep your form and move your arms as shown, Apart form that concentrate every few minutes to relax all parts of your body especially your calfs, Buy the book €10
    and read and reread. The running form you have been shown will help you no end, Keep up the good work and head up,
    Gary

Cheers Gary for the tips. You touched on the one I'm finding hardest to master - arm movement, swing is fine but very slow. I do find moving them quicker to be a waste of energy tbh but will stick with it. Other one as you mentioned is the calfs, it is quite tough on them and I can feel it seizing it up a bit. I assume everything becomes more natural with practice. Will have a look out for the book. Best of luck for DCM - how is the training going?

• Advertisement

Tues 5th

Gym session with 30 mins cardio on bike, then strength and stretches.

Wed 6th

Plan: 3 Miles

Easy run to practice technique again - not wasting that money!! My judgement of pace is completely messed up with this. There are times when I thought I was flying and looking at the Garmin, I was crawling and vice versa. Used to be able to judge when I going too fast or slow. Will give up focusing on pace for mo until I have this mastered (or butchered to my own version!). Must be due to my "chi" zone but a lovely sunset while running this eve!

Distance: 3.01
    Time: 29:26
    Avg Pace: 09:48

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

Training is going very well thanks, as regards the arm swing it does speed you up, but again just swing loosely and keep your shoulders down and free, otherwise you will feel your shoulders tightening and that is when you feel tired. Take it nice and handy at the beginning and you will reap the benefit and not have to see a physio.
    Keep motoring, your doing great

long-mara020203.png
    A c c e p t a n c e S l i p

Please print, sign and BRING THIS WITH YOU TO REGISTRATION

Registration/Expo 2010

Registration for the Lifestyle Sports – adidas Dublin Marathon will take place in:
    The R.D.S. Main Hall, Merrion Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.
    On Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th of October from 12 noon to 6pm.
    RDS location map on our web site http://www.rds.ie/home/index.aspx?id=19
    Numbers may be collected at registration by presenting this acceptance slip.
    Problems or queries should be directed to the Help Desk.

Just got an e-mail reminder....talk about putting a dampner on a Friday evening :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ach, I just got mine as well - jeez, it sucks doesn't it?

racheljev wrote: »
    Ach, I just got mine as well - jeez, it sucks doesn't it?

Too right, put me in a howler of a mood. Can't imagine it helped you either with the rubbish day you're having :rolleyes:

Fri 8th

Physio postponed until tomorrow so swapped planned run to tonight. 3 miles and due to a certain e-mail reminder I was in foul mood setting off for this. To top it off dropped my ipod in a puddle, broke string on capri's and killed not one but 2 crab along the shore. All this in the first half mile; just not my day :mad:. Ipod for dustbin now which coincides with a trip to US next week so hopefully pick one up cheaply.

As first mile, was a crawler, sped up for other 2 to clear the head. It worked and am now in flying form. Shame about the crab tho :o

Distance: 3:05
    Time: 29:05
    Avg Pace: 09:32

Great day as it was a return to the Park for the LSR’s – oh how I missed it except for maybe the Kyber pass, S-Bends, furry glen...nah even liked those today :D. For anyone out in the park this morning I was the one smiling and saying hi to everyone!!
    Plan was 7 miles. I ran the first four miles with a friend which was lovely and then I continued on for the remaining 3. I actually ended up doing another 3.5 as the off road “shortcut” I took was bloody longer – still not complaining though.
    Also finished up with Physio for the time being and I’ve just got to go back in for an MOT when I start Hal for Barca. Game on for Waterford half first!

Distance: 7.53 miles
    Time: 1:19:19
    Avg Pace: 10.32

Great day as it was a return to the Park for the LSR’s – oh how I missed it except for maybe the Kyber pass, S-Bends, furry glen...nah even liked those today :D. For anyone out in the park this morning I was the one smiling and saying hi to everyone!!
    Plan was 7 miles. I ran the first four miles with a friend which was lovely and then I continued on for the remaining 3. I actually ended up doing another 3.5 as the off road “shortcut” I took was bloody longer – still not complaining though.
    Also finished up with Physio for the time being and I’ve just got to go back in for an MOT when I start Hal for Barca. Game on for Waterford half first!

Distance: 7.53 miles
    Time: 1:19:19
    Avg Pace: 10.32

Great news...Well done!

Last week was a total write off as I in the States with work and nothing went to plan. I only managed 3 miles on a treadmill and 2 quick x-training sessions. I had planned a long run yesterday but was absolutely knackered so did nothing - not impressed with myself but these things happen. Hopefully this week will be better!

Plan for week Oct 18th

Monday | 6
    Tuesday |Cross
    Wednesday | Cross
    Thursday | 3
    Friday |Rest/Wedding (not mine!)
    Saturday | Recover from wedding shenanigans
    Sunday | 8-9

• Advertisement

...all runs were like last night :D. Plan was 6 but I ended up doing 8 just because I felt like it!! Even when I finished I felt like I could do alot more but sense prevailed and I stopped - don't want to do too much too soon! For the first time in months nothing hurt; not even a slight niggle. I've probably just gone and jinxed myself now by saying that :rolleyes:

It was dark and I couldn't see watch/pace (too lazy to turn on back light) so just went with what was comfortable and didn't care about time. Not the fastest 8 miles in the world but honestly don't mind. If all runs turn out like last night, I'm going to love winter training ;)

Distance: 8.02
    Time: 1:24:29
    Avg Pace: 10:32

Advertisement