Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shazkea wrote: »
    ...all runs were like last night :D. Plan was 6 but I ended up doing 8 just because I felt like it!! Even when I finished I felt like I could do alot more but sense prevailed and I stopped - don't want to do too much too soon! For the first time in months nothing hurt; not even a slight niggle. I've probably just gone and jinxed myself now by saying that :rolleyes:

It was dark and I couldn't see watch/pace (too lazy to turn on back light) so just went with what was comfortable and didn't care about time. Not the fastest 8 miles in the world but honestly don't mind. If all runs turn out like last night, I'm going to love winter training ;)

Distance: 8.02
    Time: 1:24:29
    Avg Pace: 10:32

Delighted for you Shaz, welcome back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Since I can't do DCM on Monday, thought I might as well make myself useful and help out. Thought marshalling or something similar would be grand and I could handle that. Where am I ending up...on the frigging finish line :rolleyes:. Salt and wounds springs to mind...glutten for punishment I suppose. So anyone coming thru the shoots on Monday with a blonde lady called Shaz de-chipping you, let me know how you got on!!

Cheers for good wishes on the last LSR :)

Oct 19th:

Gym for cross-training and strength session. Signed up for a kettle bell class too which starts next week so that should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'd love to be able to say 'yeah I'll definitely look out for you', but I may not be coherent at that stage :D
    Well done you for volunteering!

Since I can't do DCM on Monday, thought I might as well make myself useful and help out. Thought marshalling or something similar would be grand and I could handle that. Where am I ending up...on the frigging finish line :rolleyes:. Salt and wounds springs to mind...glutten for punishment I suppose. So anyone coming thru the shoots on Monday with a blonde lady called Shaz de-chipping you, let me know how you got on!!

Cheers for good wishes on the last LSR :)

Oct 19th:

Gym for cross-training and strength session. Signed up for a kettle bell class too which starts next week so that should be interesting.

Watch out for my Mr Slow T shirt;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sorry to hear about your injury but great work getting back on track. I was going to see if the injured possie wanted to convene to spectate but your volunteering seems like an even better way to spend the time. Do you know if they need any extra bodies or will I stick with the poster on a street corner?

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your injury but great work getting back on track. I was going to see if the injured possie wanted to convene to spectate but your volunteering seems like an even better way to spend the time. Do you know if they need any extra bodies or will I stick with the poster on a street corner?

Don't be hanging around on street corners Claralara, people might get the wrong idea :)

Yep they do need extra bodies alright. Will PM you a contact e-mail if you want to help out.

Now if the injured possie want to set-up a drinks session where we can be miserable, count me in for that!! Or maybe the cool (healthy) kids who are running will let us crash their party :D

mrslow wrote: »
    Don't be hanging around on street corners Claralara, people might get the wrong idea :)

One needs to fund this running habit in some way..and the day job salary just doesn't cut it!

I could be partial to an aule session alright...they'll need something to cool them down, we'll need something to warm us up ;)

I could be partial to an aule session alright...they'll need something to cool them down, we'll need something to warm us up ;)

Are we still talking about your nocturnal employment?

Yep they do need extra bodies alright. Will PM you a contact e-mail if you want to help out.

Now if the injured possie want to set-up a drinks session where we can be miserable, count me in for that!! Or maybe the cool (healthy) kids who are running will let us crash their party :D

It wouldn't be a party without ye ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fair play to you shaz! De-chipping lots of sweaty emotional people sounds like fun work :D You'll have earned your drinks :D

RubyK wrote: »
    Fair play to you shaz! De-chipping lots of sweaty emotional people sounds like fun work :D You'll have earned your drinks :D

Cheers for that image Ruby, I can't wait :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Or maybe the cool (healthy) kids who are running will let us crash their party :D

Of course!

we'll need people to help us out of our chairs

RubyK wrote: »

I wonder how many people throw up on the person giving them the medal or taking their chip off them? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Who needs Carbo-Loading to get you to the end when you know you're going to be de-chipped by a blonde lady!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Fair play Shazkea. If I make it that far I'll make a point of letting no one other than a blonde lady called Shaz remove my chip ;)

I haven't heard anything back about helping out... they must not like the cut of my jib! I may have to revert to the original street corner plan... I might hang out at mile 20/21 and give MrSlow something to think about to take his mind off the pain and help him power through the last stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I might hang out at mile 20/21 and give MrSlow something to think about to take his mind off the pain and help him power through the last stretch!

:eek:

Haha, I think it's time I move on from my misinterpreted words and stop digging before I get in trouble!

I haven't heard anything back about helping out... they must not like the cut of my jib! I may have to revert to the original street corner plan... I might hang out at mile 20/21 and give MrSlow something to think about to take his mind off the pain and help him power through the last stretch!

Sounds good, I'll keep an eye or two out:D

• Advertisement

Just catching up on my own thread now as it's been a busy few days and fupping broadband is down at home
    I wonder how many people throw up on the person giving them the medal or taking their chip off them? :rolleyes:

Quite a few tried; how much did you pay them??? One person almost managed to get it into the bucket of timing chips too - and she had def had chocolate enroute too! I have to admit I almost puked at that one!!

Just catching up on my own thread now as it's been a busy few days and fupping broadband is down at home

Quite a few tried; how much did you pay them??? One person almost managed to get it into the bucket of timing chips too - and she had def had chocolate enroute too! I have to admit I almost puked at that one!!

I must have been in a haze, I didn't see any puke or bleedin nipples anywhere.

Sunday 24th
    Missed a 3 mile during the week due to the allure of the pub - ah well it's not as if I had a marathon to run!! So I needed to do at least 9 on Sunday to make up the weekly mileage. Hit the park which was deserted; I think I only passed 5 runners in total which was a bit eerie! Anyway started on the hilly side and felt great after 5 miles so I decided today was going to be a return to double digits. The next 5 were on the flat side and by mile 7 I was bored out of my head - nothing to distract me. Plodded on for the next 3 with the last mile a struggle but determined to finish it.
    Distance: 10 miles
    Time: 1:43
    Avg Pace: 10:20

Monday 25th
    I was in to watch the start of the race which was torture. All I kept thinking was I should be out there especially when the 4:00 and 4:30 pacers groups passed. I know it sounds ridiculous but it was like a kick in the gut. Made to way up to finish line then to help out for day. It did help motivate me for Barca. But as people were still coming in at 16:30 in the eve with smiles on their faces, I kept thinking I should have done it! But such is life!

Tuesday 26th

3 mile was on the plan and 3 miles completed.

Distance: 3.17
    Time: 30:35
    Avg Pace: 9:39

I must have been in a haze, I didn't see any puke or bleedin nipples anywhere.

Yup plenty of puking and quite a few bleeding nipples too - ouch :eek:

Oct 27th

Gym 30 mins on bike followed by strength and stretching

Oct 29th

Plan was 3 miles so decided to do a bit of a pace run. Started off slow as it was arctic by the sea so it was a warm up mile in more ways than one! Second mile faster and 3 mile faster again. Last run of the winter on my favourite flat estuary run. It has no street lights so won't be venturing on it again until the eve's are brighter. It's funny this time last year everytime I passed it I thought "oooh I'd love to be able to run that route" :)

Distance: 3.00
    Time: 28:47
    Avg Pace: 09:36
    Splits: 1) 10:33 2) 09:30 3) 08:44

Barca Plan

I have been wondering for a while what plan to follow for Barca as I need to fit in Waterford and would like to do more than one 20 mile LSR. Also my main concern is I want to stay injury free and I think 4 days running a week is tempting fate so was in limbo. Then I came across a perfect one for me on good auld Hal's site!! He has a 23 week plan for running 3 days a week with 3 20 milers...perfect! Even more perfect is that I have been inadvertently following it and am bang on target with a 10 mile last weekend. It also details how much bike time and cross-training I need to do on the other days. Love it so no excuses now!! Roll on 12 mile LSR this weekend!

Link is http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novice3.htm if anyone wants to have a look.

Oct 27th

Gym 30 mins on bike followed by strength and stretching

Oct 29th

Plan was 3 miles so decided to do a bit of a pace run. Started off slow as it was arctic by the sea so it was a warm up mile in more ways than one! Second mile faster and 3 mile faster again. Last run of the winter on my favourite flat estuary run. It has no street lights so won't be venturing on it again until the eve's are brighter. It's funny this time last year everytime I passed it I thought "oooh I'd love to be able to run that route" :)

Distance: 3.00
    Time: 28:47
    Avg Pace: 09:36
    Splits: 1) 10:33 2) 09:30 3) 08:44

Barca Plan

I have been wondering for a while what plan to follow for Barca as I need to fit in Waterford and would like to do more than one 20 mile LSR. Also my main concern is I want to stay injury free and I think 4 days running a week is tempting fate so was in limbo. Then I came across a perfect one for me on good auld Hal's site!! He has a 23 week plan for running 3 days a week with 3 20 milers...perfect! Even more perfect is that I have been inadvertently following it and am bang on target with a 10 mile last weekend. It also details how much bike time and cross-training I need to do on the other days. Love it so no excuses now!! Roll on 12 mile LSR this weekend!

Link is http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novice3.htm if anyone wants to have a look.

Looks good Shaz, you're well on your way. If I had one suggestion it would be to make the middle 20 mile a 21, just as a mental thing for when you come to race.;)

Looks good Shaz, you're well on your way. If I had one suggestion it would be to make the middle 20 mile a 21, just as a mental thing for when you come to race.;)

Cheers Mr Fast, very good suggestion and I was thinking of making that middle one a 22 but will judge nearer the time. Fingers crossed the weather won't be as bad as last winter or I'm screwed!

So whats next on radar for you?

Cheers Mr Fast, very good suggestion and I was thinking of making that middle one a 22 but will judge nearer the time. Fingers crossed the weather won't be as bad as last winter or I'm screwed!

So whats next on radar for you?

I'm 50/50 on the Kildare marathon in May and will run Dublin again next year but I've been well and truly bitten by the bug. The gang are talking about the Waterford half in December, you'll be up there by then, interested?

I'm 50/50 on the Kildare marathon in May and will run Dublin again next year but I've been well and truly bitten by the bug. The gang are talking about the Waterford half in December, you'll be up there by then, interested?

Oh yeah I'm def in for the Waterford half - just checked the Ramada out for accomm - €29 per night which is excellent, sensing a session afterwards :D

I would def recommend Kildare, that was my attempt at a half earlier this year and it was a great run. I will hopefully be doing that half again next year...need to get a full out of the way first!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I'm def in for the Waterford half - just checked the Ramada out for accomm - €29 per night which is excellent, sensing a session afterwards :D

I would def recommend Kildare, that was my attempt at a half earlier this year and it was a great run. I will hopefully be doing that half again next year...need to get a full out of the way first!

You'll do the full this year, definitely and it gives great confidence when your physio is good and behind you. The fact he runs more than he drives doesn't hurt either.:D

Advertisement