Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

LSR day in the park. Plan was 12 miles...my longest so far!

Started off slow and thought crap this is going to be a long few hours. Just after I started though I bumped into a friend and we then spent 4 miles gossiping before she had sense and hopped into her car. On I continued and by the time I got to 6 I was starting to get into a rhythm and thought I can def do this.

Couple of milestones; longest training run, first training run over 2 hours and first ice bath :eek:. Holy crap it was cold but I see why it's a good idea as I felt better after.

Distance: 12:01
    Time: 2:08:52
    Avg Pace: 10:44

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shazkea wrote: »
    LSR day in the park. Plan was 12 miles...my longest so far!

Started off slow and thought crap this is going to be a long few hours. Just after I started though I bumped into a friend and we then spent 4 miles gossiping before she had sense and hopped into her car. On I continued and by the time I got to 6 I was starting to get into a rhythm and thought I can def do this.

Couple of milestones; longest training run, first training run over 2 hours and first ice bath :eek:. Holy crap it was cold but I see why it's a good idea as I felt better after.

Distance: 12:01
    Time: 2:08:52
    Avg Pace: 10:44

Did you put ice in it?:eek:

mrslow wrote: »
    Did you put ice in it?:eek:

Yup although I shouldn't have bothered as the water from the cold tap was fecking cold enough :rolleyes:. Tell you what though it woke me up after that run!

Yup although I shouldn't have bothered as the water from the cold tap was fecking cold enough :rolleyes:. Tell you what though it woke me up after that run!

Just to spare you next time, I read the ice doesn't do anything extra, just use cold water for 10 mins or so, get your muscles back to normal temp afterwards and then have a warm bath or shower. You can add an additional cold one after that but you're not crazy.(I hope)

Just to spare you next time, I read the ice doesn't do anything extra, just use cold water for 10 mins or so, get your muscles back to normal temp afterwards and then have a warm bath or shower. You can add an additional cold one after that but you're not crazy.(I hope)

Smashing ta, was wondering how long I should stay in but chanced stuck-out 10 mins. Need a frigging hot whiskey after that trauma :)

• Advertisement

Smashing ta, was wondering how long I should stay in but chanced stuck-out 10 mins. Need a frigging hot whiskey after that trauma :)

I did it a few times, much rather being stiff and sore for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great run there shaz! A nice confidence booster to keep you on track.

I still haven't been brave enough to try an ice-bath :o

Sunday 31st

Walk around Howth head so that counts as my 60 min cross today.

Nutrition plan starts tomorrow which means no crap (unless it comes in a race goody bag) until at least Waterford half. So just finished a takeaway and digging into last of chocolate in house :rolleyes:

Plan for next week

Monday | Rest
    Tuesday | 3 miles
    Wednesday | Bike: 40 mins
    Thursday | 4 miles 8 mile LSR
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 8 miles London so cross training will be walking between pubs/restaurant :pac:
    Sunday | 4 miles

RubyK wrote: »
    Great run there shaz! A nice confidence booster to keep you on track.

I still haven't been brave enough to try an ice-bath :o

Obviously you have more sense than me ;).
    Although I will say I have no soreness at all from yesterday. I thought I would after having to peel myself out of the car after the run yesterday! But sure a 12 miler is only a warm-up to you marathon pros so you wouldn't need an ice bath after that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Training's looking great there Shaz, fair play to ya! I too have knocked the junk food on the head until Waterford at least - got through day 1 in one piece anyway. I know there's going to be birthday cake in the office tomorrow though... I'll have to bring in some crackers with jam or something as a substitute...if that's not something to look forward to I don't know what is!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Me 3 for the junk food ban until Waterford !!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dolliemix wrote: »
    Me 3 for the junk food ban until Waterford !!! :D
    I think I'm going to have to "me 4" this one. Been eating like a beast for the last month, it stops now.

Excellent everyone is going off junk food - good luck!

Should we warn the nearest shop in Waterford there will a stampede after the half :)

Clara your crackers and jam do sound very exciting - would much rather have those than chocolate cake any day of the week (she says drooling after 10 hours 35 mins off choc!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Excellent everyone is going off junk food - good luck!

Should we warn the nearest shop in Waterford there will a stampede after the half :)

Clara your crackers and jam do sound very exciting - would much rather have those than chocolate cake any day of the week (she says drooling after 10 hours 35 mins off choc!)

I'm not! I've just polished off a chocolate chip muffin and I have a bucket full of sweets left over from last night. Damn you trick or treaters! :mad:

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm not! I've just polished off a chocolate chip muffin and I have a bucket full of sweets left over from last night. Damn you trick or treaters! :mad:

There's always one rebel :P. Enjoy your sweets and chocolate; we are not one bit jealous :cool:

There is a carrot cake, a box of thornton's chocolates and a slab of rocky road the size of a bus in the kitchen... I'm having an orange :rolleyes: If I can get through today I'll have faith in my abilities to abstain!

claralara wrote: »
    There is a carrot cake, a box of thornton's chocolates and a slab of rocky road the size of a bus in the kitchen... I'm having an orange :rolleyes: If I can get through today I'll have faith in my abilities to abstain!

Oh yeah, nice, showing me up like that! ;)

Oh yeah, nice, showing me up like that! ;)

This time last week you had just completed a marathon. This time last week I was hungover eating a bag of chips... I think you deserve a few treats ;)

Oh good god, that's just cruel :eek:
    Be strong girl, you can do it. Think of yourself flying across the line in Waterford with a fab new PB.

Not sure that helps!!
    This time last week you had just completed a marathon. This time last week I was hungover eating a bag of chips... I think you deserve a few treats ;)

I'm with Clara on this one, you do deserve it alright :)

I think you should eat all three, someone went to the trouble of making those items as delicious as they could be and you are insulting their efforts by refusing to even taste them. Forshame!

• Advertisement

Oh good god, that's just cruel :eek:
    Be strong girl, you can do it. Think of yourself flying across the line in Waterford with a fab new PB.

Not sure that helps!!

I'm with Clara on this one, you do deserve it alright :)

Actually who am I kidding, like I need any encouragement to eat cake or chocolate! :D

I think you should eat all three, someone went to the trouble of making those items as delicious as they could be and you are insulting their efforts by refusing to even taste them. Forshame!

Yeah that would be just plain RUDE ;)

Actually who am I kidding, like I need any encouragement to eat cake or chocolate! :D

Shame on the pair of you trying to drag me into your black hole of deserved calorie overdosing! Well joke's on you guys... there's no way I'll fit down there! So HA!! Good luck trying to catch me in Waterford!

Yeah that would be just plain RUDE ;)

Grrrrrr......:rolleyes:.....as she wonders where the love and support went....

Claralara loving the confidence about trying to catch you in Waterford - would love to say +1 for me but emmmm no amount of rocket fuel would help me pass all of you out (yet....) :D

Rest day today....understand the concept but hate them :(

I always feel like I should be doing something and just can't relax. Does anyone else feel like this on rest days or am I just weird?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Rest day today....understand the concept but hate them :(

I always feel like I should be doing something and just can't relax. Does anyone else feel like this on rest days or am I just weird?

Nope, you are definitely not wierd, rest days are not good for the head. I suppose when training becomes such a big part of your life, not training, even for 1 day, leaves you feeling restless rather than rested. Ok, maybe that is a bit wierd, or I am wierd :confused:

Good luck trying to catch me in Waterford!

I was going to offer to cheer you on in a risque manner at some critical point in the half and then not turn up but that would be mean :P

It's official - I'm a wuss. When I saw the piddling rain and wind out, I headed for the gym/treadmill instead. By the looks of the numbers in the gym I was not alone! 3 miles done and dusted. I will have to HTFU up for the next few months!!

It's official - I'm a wuss. When I saw the piddling rain and wind out, I headed for the gym/treadmill instead. By the looks of the numbers in the gym I was not alone! 3 miles done and dusted. I will have to HTFU up for the next few months!!

Ya big girls blouse, get out there and run into the wind, it's liberating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ya big girls blouse, get out there and run into the wind, it's liberating.

Talk about running into the wind...I was behind a guy in the DCM who let a material ripping fart:eek: and my legs were so sore that I couldn't move left or right to escape the...the.....What was it called in Top Gun?

Jet Wash....

Advertisement