Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mrslow wrote: »
    Just giving my experience N, my fitness wasn't up to 90 secs faster. My point really was that whatever pace you pick for the LSR's be prepared for the fact that you won't magically run 60/90 secs faster on the day.:D

No but you will if you practise running your marathon pace in some midweek runs (up to 10 miles) and at the end of some of your LSR's. I think the key to marathon training is to do the miles but remain injury free. Running LSR's too fast just tires you out and leaves you more likley to get injured during your other runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Guy's you're great - Emer, Menoscemo and MrSlow I really appreciate your advice and will "promptly" repay you with a sports drink next time I see you :D

Rest night this eve as I attempt that 8 Mile Run in the park tomorrow morning - it's my first small race so am dreading being the last person over the line...why did I think this was a good idea :rolleyes:

8 Mile Marathon Cooldown Run – Phoenix Park

Where to start on this race report...this was a tough course with some doozies of hills thrown in for good measure. I would say 50-60% of the run was on trails/grass/mud and as I mentioned 3 hills in particular.

Hands up and say I fooked up this run royally :o. I had psyched myself out of this race before I even got to the start line. I had never run a small size race before (~250 runners) and was convinced I would be humiliated and come last. Not a good way to start!!

I took off way too fast across the 15 acres and got chatting to a lady who was much faster than me and tried to keep up with her. It lasted until I got to that “sharp” hill crossing the kyber pass. It was described as sharp and short by organisers – my description contains alot more expletives. I got up it and it completely wiped me out. So result was I had to stop at mile 2 and honestly thought my race was up as I wondered where to puke without making a bigger ass of myself (managed not to in the end)! I felt like crap and had no energy. I wanted to give up!

Two things got me going again 1) I am an extremely stubborn git 2) Pride got in the way and no way was I having a DNF beside my name! So I started up slowly again and tucked in behind a lady who was going at a slower pace. I forced myself to stay behind her for a mile to recover and then I could pick up the pace again (felt really guilty passing her out).

From there things got better; back on solid ground for a while so it felt good and also I love that part of the park. We headed down past Papal Cross carpark and towards St Marys. Cut back at pitches and around to S Bends. Turned left up the Furry towards gate back onto trails and to another joyous hill – much more controlled ascent of that this time and passed a few people which boosted me. One more fecker of hill to come out onto Furry again, then back onto Ordinance Survey Rd and around onto Chesterfield and back down Furze for the required sprint finish...and then some chocolate :)

So before race I had 3 aims:
    1) Don’t finish last
    2) Avg Pace of ~10 mile to see I can hold that pace for PMP and I’m on track for Barca
    3) Finish under 1:20 – taking the avg 10 min/mile into account

Actual:
    1) I didn’t finish last – about 75 behind me I think
    2) Avg Pace: 09:44
    3) 1:18:07

I am disappointed with the performance but glad I came through a rough patch and kept going. Time is not great but I did finish under my goals for time and pace. I also had plenty left in the tank at the end which was a good sign after a disastrous 2-3 mile mark. It was alot tougher than I expected and I need to get some training in for those kinds of hills. I learnt alot from today and will not make those mistakes again.

The race itself was well organised and plenty of marshalls to guide us around. My only gripe was lack of toilets at start line but organisers apologised at the start as they were let down by the providers. Not too many supporters around the course either which makes you appreciate the larger races and the support thy get. I would recommend it for next year and I will be back to exercise those demons especially that mile 2 hill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done shaz, you dug in, and got through it :D It's horrible when things go wrong, but I believe experiences like those, make you stronger in mind, and you learn a lot from it.

It might not have been the most pleasant race, but you still managed to beat the three goals you aimed for, which is brilliant, especially on such a tough sounding course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good running Shazea, sounds like that first hill knocked the stuffing out of you. Well done for keeping it going, you still hit all your targets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Shaz for not giving up and for keeping it going - some races can be so tough mentally, but that experience will stand to you for future races.
    I would say that one thing I have learnt in the last year is not to start out too fast, as hard and all as that is.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Shazkea, that's a great time and well under your target. I ALWAYS go out too fast too :rolleyes: but you really got it under control in the end. Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Well done for sticking with it and in fact doing really well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

what did you think of the hill coming out of the Glen just before the 7 mile mark??? That killed me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Shaz, sounds like a tough one. Fair play!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done Shaz :D I'd say that little struggle will only stand to you going forward. In the words of the esteemed Kanye West - "Th-th-that that don't kill me. Can only make me stronger".

what did you think of the hill coming out of the Glen just before the 7 mile mark??? That killed me

That hill was a "nice" surprise. Surprisingly I found that one ok because I had a bit of a point to prove on it after the mile 2 fiasco! I was also focused on catching a bloke in front of me so that distracted from the pain!

Congrats on the win yesterday - it was definitely an interesting course so well done on a great run.

Cheers for the encouraging words and good wishes everyone. I'm still really annoyed at myself but I'm sure the experience will stand to me.

Now just have to go and sign up for Waterford - hopefully there are a few sharp little hills on that course coz I'll be ready for them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shazkea wrote: »
    Now just have to go and sign up for Waterford - hopefully there are a few sharp little hills on that course coz I'll be ready for them :D

Same here, I'm hoping it's as flat as a pancake though :)

Plan Week Nov 15th

Monday 60 Min Cross Training
    Tuesday 3 Miles
    Wednesday 40 Min Bike
    Thursday 4 Miles
    Friday Rest
    Saturday 13 Mile LSR
    Sunday 70 Min Cross Training

Monday 15th

Supposed to be a 60 min cross training day but had a choice to make! In the States with work so had a choice of Gym or Mall after work. Gym or Shopping - tough choice...so am counting the 2 hour dash around the mall as cross-training :).
    Now the mall was fully of shiny new handbags and shoes but where do I hit first...yup Sports Authority! Sure I might as well see how much a new pair of Asics would cost coz you really can't enough of the same runners in the same colour!!! Now need to figure out how to fit new runners, tops, tights etc in already full suitcase!!

Tuesday 16th

A nice balmy 22 degrees out as I headed into gym for a run on treadmill...zzzz. 3 boring miles done and dusted and then relaxed by pool for brekkie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Shaz, if it was me, I'd be at the mall again today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Fair dues.
    It's tough fitting in the running when you're away... and on a treadmill!? :eek: :rolleyes:

Wed 17th

Cross training in gym which was really welcome after a very long day at work.

Thursday 18th

Took my sparkly new runners for 4 miles today. I couldn't handle the gym again so took to the road. This was a tough one as it was a really sticky 28 degrees and I was sweating out the drinks from last night. I was drowning the fact that I am now another year older and "wiser" :(!! No garmin so no idea of pace but did feel fresher afterwards.
    I am almost looking forward to running in the cold again!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done Shaz, if it was me, I'd be at the mall again today! :D

Oh so would I but my credit card went on strike so I agreed to give it some time off...we have a love/hate relationship :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I caved...on my second snickers of the day...don't judge me!! I couldn't be happier right now :D

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    I caved...on my second snickers of the day...don't judge me!! I couldn't be happier right now :D

Go girl, that's what race goody bags are for :). Well done on a great run!

LSR - 13 Miles

I was supposed to do this yesterday but was shattered after flight/long week so put it off until today. I set the alarm for 9 but slept right through it and eventually woke at 11 - 11 straight hours of sleep; haven't done that in years but obviously I needed it!

So I hit the park at 1 for the run and followed the race series route for the HM. Weather was fine until about mile 6 when it lashed but soon cleared up. First time trying a gel; don't really need it at this distance but wanted to see if my tummy could handle it before I start hitting the bigger distances. All ok so at least I know that worked :). Not the nicest tasting things in the world - gimme my glucose sweets any day of the week!! Plenty left in the tank at the end of this run as I made a detour to find a toilet (one that was not al fresco!). Lack of toilets in the park is a disgrace.

Distance: 13.13 miles
    Time: 2:19:42
    Avg Pace: 10.38

This LSR is faster than my HM PB by 4 mins :rolleyes:

Plan for week Nov 22nd

Monday | Cross Training 60 min
    Tuesday | 4 Easy Miles with hills
    Wednesday | 45 Min Bike
    Thursday | 4 PMP
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | Rest or cross train
    Sunday | 15 Miles LSR :eek:

Sat/Sun may swap around depending on my "health" after a party on Fri night. However I predict Sat will be a couch day! Getting 15 miles in the bag on Sunday will be a big milestone especially prior to Waterford half and a good confidence boost too.

Plan for week Nov 22nd

Monday | Cross Training 60 min
    Tuesday | 4 Easy Miles with hills
    Wednesday | 45 Min Bike
    Thursday | 4 PMP
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | Rest or cross train
    Sunday | 15 Miles LSR :eek:

Sat/Sun may swap around depending on my "health" after a party on Fri night. However I predict Sat will be a couch day! Getting 15 miles in the bag on Sunday will be a big milestone especially prior to Waterford half and a good confidence boost too.

I think there is going to be a group run in the park on sunday (see main forum). Most are thinking of 10, but if i go I'll be doing 15 myself.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think there is going to be a group run in the park on sunday (see main forum). Most are thinking of 10, but if i go I'll be doing 15 myself.

Thanks menoscemo but I think I'd only hold ye up with my very slow pace - sure you'd have 20 done by the time I got to 15 :)

Thanks menoscemo but I think I'd only hold ye up with my very slow pace - sure you'd have 20 done by the time I got to 15 :)

Not at all. We'll be doing 10 min/mile+. As a group we will always go at a pace that suits everyone..

Plan 4 Easy Miles with hills...sounds easy!!

So after the 8 Miles Race debacle it's time to bring on those hills and as luck has it I had a hilly route in mind! After 11 months of running I have managed to avoid this hilly route successfully always saying I'll do it when I fitter!! Time to give in to that fight. The "biggest" climb on it is about 1/2 mile and in the grand scheme of things not that big but in my mind it's huge :rolleyes:. So nice and easy was the plan - with the hills I was thinking about 11 - 11:30 min/mile, no point in rushing them!

All went well until I spotted some other runners on the route; a switch flipped and crazy shaz came out to run!! Crazy shaz decided she wanted to pass all runners in sight even if that meant on the hills :rolleyes:

So after 4 tough miles I almost fell in the door huffing and puffing. I'm amazed how quickly I recover these days and forget the pain!! "Big" hill done and dusted x 2!!

Distance: 4.03
    Time: 40:09
    Avg Pace: 09:58

Unfort not feeling the grá for the running this eve - bloody freezing out so it was an easy run.
    I would have gone to the gym but did not have the appropriate attire :mad:. I only had running tights which is not a good look for me and no way in hell I would be seen in them in a well lit gym!

Anway run done with legs and face slowly defrosting now

Distance: 4.15
    Time: 41:53
    Avg Pace: 10:06

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I had a similar feeling for my run this evening. It gets harder as it gets colder and more miserable, but I think we can both be proud that we braved the elements and didn't give in! :D:cool:

• Advertisement

Plan today was 15 miles LSR...alarm went off and I looked out to see that stupid white stuff all over the place again :mad:. Before I could change my mind pulled on the layers of running gear and headed out in the -7C "fresh" air. I didn't have any brekkie coz I thought if I have to wait 2 hours I will have talked myself out of this!

So in total a very slow 11.36 miles done :). Ok not quite the 15 I had planned but I found it really tough going. Extremely slippy in places and really had to keep concentrating on the foot fall. Water bottle froze after about 6 miles so was gasping by mile 10 and no brekkie didn't make it any easier!! Me bad :rolleyes:

I feel like a bit of a hardcore runner now and lots of nods of respect (or maybe they were pity looks) from walkers :cool:

I am not going to stress too much about the 3+ miles I missed as I honestly think this was a harder workout than 15 around the park would have been on a dry day.

Couch, chocolate and a rugby match on the agenda for afternoon!

Advertisement