Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play Shaz, good run in these condititons. I felt like my 5 miles were more because of how frickin hard it is to run on the snow. It's like it sucks the life from your legs. I'd def recommend the yaktrax, I'll be wearing them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good on ya for getting the run in! I struggled through 8, and it felt like I was wearing ankle weights, so mega kudos for getting nearly 11 and a half done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Jaysus I'm some muppet :rolleyes:. I managed to escape to warmer climates for work (i.e. +6C) and I forgot to bring my runners with me - have gym gear just no runners. Serves me right for packing at stupid o'clock this morning when I was half asleep! Whats worse flight was frigging ~5 hours delayed so I needn't have rushed :mad::mad:

Plan for week out the window until I can get back home.

Dead right though women, running on the ice/snow is hard on the legs - my legs were just drained yesterday when I got back home.

shazkea wrote: »
    Jaysus I'm some muppet :rolleyes:. I managed to escape to warmer climates for work (i.e. +6C) and I forgot to bring my runners with me - have gym gear just no runners.

LOL I think they call that a Freudian slip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on Sunday - at least you deserved your packet of biscuits!!

Enjoy your week off. Sounds like a fun job that; what with jetting off to the bahamas for a tan in December!! Enjoy the good weather... :cool:

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Sounds like a fun job that; what with jetting off to the bahamas for a tan in December!! Enjoy the good weather... :cool:

Fun job my a**e...it's taken me 3 days to get back to Dublin from Italy via London & Shannon. Spent 2 nights sleeping in airports as I couldn't get a hotel room for love nor money.

I don't care if it suddenly thaws and it's 20 degrees out over weekend, I'm hibernating in house and only movement will be from couch to bed and channel surfing. No running planned for weekend...

I'm done with this f**king snow!

/rant

Plan for week Dec 6th

Monday | 2 Miles
    Tuesday | 4 Miles
    Wednesday | 60 Min Cross
    Thursday | 5 Miles
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 13.1 Waterford??
    Sunday | 60 Min Cross

6th December
    Joined a gym near me for a month so at least I can get some exercise in. Decided to walk to and from it for the extra exercise expecially after doing nothing last week.
    Only planned 2 miles on treadmill to ease back into it and legs felt like lead on it. Bike and X-trainer also made an appearance.
    Great walk home in the bucketing snow. Will be a pain in the ass in the morning but was gorgeous walking home with my YakTrax on. Worked well on snow so we'll see what they are like on ice tomorrow!!

Undecided about Waterford half on Sat now :(

7th Dec

Plan 4 miles
    Actual 4.1 miles on the auld treadmill. I had to use every trick in the book to distract myself using speed and incline variations - such fun but at least I'm getting the miles in.

Walked to and from gym again and omg those paths. I put YakTrax on to see what they are like on sheets of glass - some grip but I'm not sure I would trust myself to run on those conditions. Please thaw soon :)

Wed 8th Dec
    Plan was cross-training but after hearing that Waterford was postponed, I thought I would change up the cross training a wee bit focusing on 2 main muscle groups – biceps and facial muscles. Only location for that was of course the pub :D. Many beers later and with a good workout done I headed home satisfied with the evening’s work.
    Walk home had me grading how slippery the paths around me were – its sheer luck I didn’t do myself serious damage! Also tested the suitability of my hiking shoes for running on the sheets of ice – eh answer is not good, But the main victim of my high jinks was the “medicinal” snack box I carried in my backpack for over 2 miles. It was all over the bag and freezing by time I got home – won’t comment on whether I ate it or not!!! ;)
    Thur 9th Dec
    Plan was 5 miles
    Dragged my hungover ass to the gym for a session on the treadmill . 10 min warm-up on the bike and then hopped on the moving belt for the run. It was better than expected and I’m beginning to enjoy conquering the boredom of this machine. Once I make it past 3-4 km, I’m set but it takes a lot of willpower not to hit that red Stop button before that. Anyway 5 miles completed and I felt much better afterwards.
    13.1 still to be done over weekend and it looks good for getting out and about to do that. Must dust off the garmin again
    Shame about Waterford but honestly it suits me better to have in Jan with the Barca training schedule.

I put this on the main forum but thought I would put it here also. I am using this PDF as a guide to the pace/settings I need for running on the treadmill.

• Advertisement

LSR Time

Plan today was 13 miles and figured on a new route near me in NCD rather than heading into the park. Route took me along the coast where I found a short cut into Ardgillan and those hills :rolleyes:...

TBH I didn't enjoy the run and feel guilty saying that after being cooped up for so long. I felt like I had no energy and had to pull up after 10 miles as I was shattered. I'm disgusted at myself but think its the kick up the ass I need. Barca is 12 weeks away and I need to be putting more into this training and also nutrition especially before longs runs. I tend not to eat before them and that's obviously not helping. I've been a bit lazy so far and now it's time to step up.

On a positive side great to be back on the road and also got some good hill training in with those trails in Ardgillan. Should have brought my sunnies with me though, it was blinding out there.

Plan for week Dec 13th

Monday | 50 Min XT
    Tuesday | Easy 6 Miles
    Wednesday | 60 Min Cross
    Thursday | 4 Miles PMP
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 14 miles
    Sunday | 60 Min XT

With yesterdays rubbish run, re-motivated to get cracking with this. Busy week ahead so there may be some very early mornings to get these sessions in! Hoping the planned armegeddon snowfall stays away next weekend for the LSR.

Best of luck this week. looks like it's gonna be a busy one! You should definitely head out with the lads on a group run if you get the chance - I just lamped in and it made what would have been a painful afternoon pretty enjoyable!

Best of luck this week. looks like it's gonna be a busy one! You should definitely head out with the lads on a group run if you get the chance - I just lamped in and it made what would have been a painful afternoon pretty enjoyable!

Cheers, silly season is def in full swing! Yup will def be looking out for the group runs and no doubt try to slow everyone down on them :)

Dec 13th 50 Min X

Good session in gym and hammered the bike and x-trainer.

Dec 14th: Plan 6 easy miles

Perfect eve for a run and surprisingly not many runners out. Felt good from the start to decided to change the plan for the 6 miles. Easy should be ~10:30 min/mile according to Hal so changed to the following

Mile 1: P. Warm-up...Actual 10:20
    Mile 2: PMP @10 min/mile...Actual 09:41
    Mile 3: PMP-30 secs (09:30)...Actual 09:26
    Mile 4: PMP-30 secs (09:30)...Actual 09:25
    Mile 5: PMP-30 secs (09:30)...Actual 09:18
    Mile 6: Any pace at all...Actual 09:08

Really enjoyed this and good to get some nice fresh air instead of the gym :)

Summary:

Distance: 6.01
    Time: 57.28
    Avg Pace: 09:33

Sat Dec 18th

Back home in the West for the weekend and more snow. Woke up Sat morn to a text from a friend bailing on the planned run so I rolled over to go back to sleep. Severe attack of the guilts though and hauled ass out of bed to a trail run. My faffing about cost me though and I was under pressure to get the run finished before I had to meet people for lunch. So I only got 12 out the 14 miles finished. Happy to get those 12 miles in the snowy conditions and calves got a serious workout.

Trail was hilly enough too which was good in despite getting lost a few times on the trail!

Plan for week Dec 20th

Monday | 4 Easy Miles
    Tuesday | 60 Min X
    Wednesday | 6 PMP
    Thursday | 60 Min X
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 15!!
    Sunday | 60 Min Cross

15 miles planned for Christmas day - not sure if I can get that one in but will do my best to!!

15 miles planned for Christmas day - not sure if I can get that one in but will do my best to!!

Wow - ambitious plan for the holiday weekend... I know I'm hoping to be able to get out for the Goal mile race on Christmas day - before dinner, of course!?;)
    Good luck with your week. And Happy Christmas!

Emer911 wrote: »
    Wow - ambitious plan for the holiday weekend... I know I'm hoping to be able to get out for the Goal mile race on Christmas day - before dinner, of course!?;)
    Good luck with your week. And Happy Christmas!

Aye but no harm in planning for it!
    Also abroad for the season at brothers gaff so thinking it may be a good excuse to escape the cooking, cleaning, mad nephews etc and get back just in time for dinner and drink :D

Have fun with the goal mile!

Happy Christmas to you too and I hope Santa brings you nice pressies!

Dec 20th - Plan 4 miles

Nerves shot to bits trying to get home in one piece and I would consider myself a confident driver. Snow/Ice+ Hills are not a good combination for a rear wheel drive :eek:. Learnt how to do a decent 360 spin though and how to bump off kerbs to get going again :pac:

Anyway too much nervous energy when I got in home so slapped on the YakTrax and headed out into the snow. Quite deep here in north county Dublin and yaktrax were the biz in the snow. Felt very safe even crossing the roads and sometimes moving faster than the cars!
    Really fun run but it was slow going especially when I couldn't figure out what was footpath, road or ditch! Tough workout I have to say.

Distance: 4.04 miles
    Time: 44:00
    Avg Pace: 10:54 (very slow going but tough!)

I don't know if I'm more impressed that you and your car got home in one piece or that you then managed to get out for a run...Nice one (X2!)

I am stranded in work and seriously considering checking into the hotel across the road!

Nice run at the weekend too; you seem to be flying it for Barcelona. :)

• Advertisement

I don't know if I'm more impressed that you and your car got home in one piece or that you then managed to get out for a run...Nice one (X2!)

I am stranded in work and seriously considering checking into the hotel across the road!

Nice run at the weekend too; you seem to be flying it for Barcelona. :)

Oh def take the hotel option and make sure there's a mini-bar, ice-cream on demand and a good chick flick movie ;)

Honestly not happy with my long runs at all - really need to be upping the mileage; should be at 17 by original plan...whoops! Ah well!

See you're signing up for Conn (no peer pressure involved too); nice one :D

Plan: Emm plan in tatters so no plan except to run

I never made it past Dublin Airport for the holliers so had to put Plan B into operation and head West again. No water in the Wesht so running not really an option without showers (lame excuse I know!).

So first run in 9 days and since I'm back in Dublin I headed to the Park. No real plan but I hoped to get to 10 and I would be reasonably happy with that. Got to 10 and thought sure another mile won't kill me and kept going. Got to 11 and thought the same thing...u get the picture! I somehow made it to 15 and not sure how I pulled that out of the bag. Longest I ever done before so well happy with that :D. I would like to thank Cadburys Roses sincerely for all that extra energy supplied to me over the Christmas period...maybe that's the secret!!

Anyway Barcelona plan really in bits at the moment as I really only have 5 weeks full on training left before taper which still depends on weather. I will still do it but I now have no expectations of time and it will just be a case of finishing it in whatever time I can. So be it - it just means I have to plan another marathon to get a good time!!!
    Hopefully will be on re-booked flight tomorrow and will pack the runners for a few easy runs.

Happy New Year to everyone and I hope 2011 brings us all fab PBs

Summary:
    Distance: 15.03 miles
    Time: 2:38:46
    Avg Pace: 10:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyway Barcelona plan really in bits at the moment as I really only have 5 weeks full on training left before taper which still depends on weather. I
    I'm trying not to think about that right now :eek:

I'm trying not to think about that right now :eek:

Oh no all ok I miscalculated...we have 6 weeks left before tapering and not 5! Does that help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh no all ok I miscalculated...we have 6 weeks left before tapering and not 5! Does that help :)

Erm... maybe :pac:

Hopefully get back on track over the next week or so though. Can't see myself making my original time goal for Barca :(

I never made it past Dublin Airport for the holliers so had to put Plan B into operation and head West again. No water in the Wesht so running not really an option without showers (lame excuse I know!).

Yeah, it's all a bit of a mess. We were in Roscommon and my brothers house had no water either, so they were begging showers and buckets of water off the relatives and neighbours (well, those that still had water, of course) It's a total bummer and VERY awkward!
    So first run in 9 days and since I'm back in Dublin I headed to the Park. No real plan but I hoped to get to 10 and I would be reasonably happy with that. Got to 10 and thought sure another mile won't kill me and kept going. Got to 11 and thought the same thing...u get the picture! I somehow made it to 15 and not sure how I pulled that out of the bag. Longest I ever done before so well happy with that :D. I would like to thank Cadburys Roses sincerely for all that extra energy supplied to me over the Christmas period...maybe that's the secret!!

Great running there. Congrats on the longest ever. It's a good way to work off the Roses / Quality Street / Christmas Pud and wine from the last few days.

Happy new year to you and yours and best of luck with 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice one on the 15 miler shaz!

Shame about your flight and water woes. Very frustrating.

Best of luck with the remaining weeks til Barca, keep up the good work!

Well I made it abroad and brought the running shoes with me. I managed a few good cross training sessions and got one run in. My nephews (4 and 9) wanted to join me for the run so ditched the garmin and decided to have fun on the forest trail. We spent the time playing tig and it was really good fun - like a big kid.
    Now if only I can get the 4 year old to run in front of me for the marathon roaring "catch me aunty Shaz", I'd have no problem finishing Barca :). He prob would last the 26 miles too - how much energy can a kid have!!

Plan for week Jan 3rd
    Monday | Rest
    Tuesday | 4 easy miles
    Wednesday | 50 Min X
    Thursday | 7 Miles PMP
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 16
    Sunday | 75 Min Cross

Shin sore after the last long run due to fact I hadn't run on clear roads in an age - lately it's been snow, ice or grass. So will take it easy tomorrow as I do not want an occurence of the shin splints that ruined last summer. Stretching, icing and massaging like mad at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Just catching up on your log Shaz, well done you're going great. I know the weather and the lack of water is a real bummer when you're in training, but you have a lot of good runs in the bag, so keep positive.

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Just catching up on your log Shaz, well done you're going great. I know the weather and the lack of water is a real bummer when you're in training, but you have a lot of good runs in the bag, so keep positive.

Cheers, absolute positivity this year :)...that and the need to work off all the christmas trimmings!!

Advertisement