Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Plan: 4 Easy Miles

I must learn concept of easy runs!! According to those wise internet gurus...ie Hal and McMillan I should be doing these between 10:26 - 10:56. That was the plan....except I forgot what the plan was!

A nice breezy night out there (swore I wouldn't complain about conditions once snow was gone but it was frigging windy!) and a nice hilly route to boot. TBH honest hated the run but kept thinking 2 hours of McDreamy and McSteamy tonight on the box so things can only get better :D Eh whatever it takes to get through a run...

Distance: 5.07
    Time: 48:50
    Avg Pace: 09:38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Haha, that's what got me out and back quick-smart on Tuesday too!

What week of Hal are you on now? Has the countdown begun? You seem to be well on track anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

claralara wrote: »

What week of Hal are you on now? Has the countdown begun? You seem to be well on track anyway. :)

Give me Alex or Avery any day over those two! :D

I'm doing Hals Marathon 3 plan which is 3 runs & 2 X training sessions a week and is a 24 week plan. In theory I should be on week 16 but I've butchered it to death over the last couple of weeks :o. It has 3 20 milers which I think is great but between Dec weather and me being lazy, I'm about 3 weeks behind schedule. So have cut it down to 1 20 miler in order not to kill myself trying to make up the diff.

Hopefully that should see me through Barca but honestly have no real time expectations now - just finish it and enjoy it!

Which one are you following?

jcsmum wrote: »
    Give me Alex or Avery any day over those two! :D

Fair point and add in the new conselor as well and that makes for one blissful hour of TV ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

shazkea wrote: »
    Fair point and add in the new conselor as well and that makes for one blissful hour of TV ;)

Avery...really?????

maria74 wrote: »

Avery...really?????

Yup he has a bit of twinkle in the eyes ;)

Wed 5th Jan

Plan 45 mins X Trainer

First time in the gym for the new year and it was slightly busy with alot of new faces!
    30 Mins Cross Trainer Interval program
    20 Mins Bike Interval program
    10 Rowing Maching - full on
    Weights

Session proved I've lost alot of fitness :mad:

Thur 6th Jan

Plan: 7 Miles

Decided to make this a more structured run with tempo intervals - 1 mile easy, 1 mile tempo, 1 mile easy, 1 mile tempo etc
    Target Paces: Easy: 10:26 -10:56
    Tempo: 09:13 - 09:32

Mile 1: 10:37
    Mile 2: 09:12
    Mile 3: 10:18
    Mile 4: 09:09
    Mile 5: 10:35
    Mile 6: 09:18
    Mile 7: 10:19

I found this tough going both on the tempo miles and slowing down for easy miles. A few sore niggles in the shin and ankle which made things uncomfortable. Just as well I'm booked in for an MOT with physio tomorrow. Thought it might be a good idea before piling on the mileage this month. Fingers crossed its nothing serious.

Distance: 7.02 miles
    Time: 1:09:45
    Avg Pace: 09:56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Just catching up on your log Shazkea... up to 15 miles wow! you're running at a great pace too. You'll fly it in Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Looking good Shaz, you're flying at the minute. I had some shin niggles after my speed-ish session this week but they cleared up, praise be. Hope yours are ok. And for the record, I'm a McDreamy woman, my OH calls him my boyfriend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh McDreamy all they way!! Yumm...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

You are doing so well...your pace is really good!

Good luck with mot tomorrow...

....And I vote McSteamy

Cheers for the motivation guys, feel I should have more mileage done so nice to hear the words of encouragement!

In a McSteamy versus McDreamy head-to-head...McSteamy all the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done Shaz...You're going great guns!!

Physio last night and I was a bit nervous of shin. But it's all good and it's behaving itself albeit with alot of maintenance. Ankle on the other hand is not - problem with ankle joint. Not sure of source of that injury but not a running one so more than lightly a result of the evil drink and high heel combination :rolleyes:...we won't comment on the fact I can't remember exact incident but there's a few contenders!
    I am cleared to keep running which is great but just need to slow down and be careful!

Jan 8th
    Plan 75 min cross

Trying to stay off ankle before LSR tomorrow so dusted off the pilates dvd for an hour....eh ouch!!!

I am cleared to keep running which is great but just need to slow down and be careful!
    QUOTE]

Thats a relief I am sure!
    Whats the long run for tomorow? Hopefully we wont have any more ice/snow! Paths are a bit slippy out there today.

Fecking joints and niggles! :mad: Hopefully it'll heal up and go away!

What distance and pace are you planning to hit tomorrow? I don't think I'll be able to keep with the group at 9.30 for any longer than 5 miles so I'll probably have to slack back a little to get the distance in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What distance and pace are you planning to hit tomorrow? I don't think I'll be able to keep with the group at 9.30 for any longer than 5 miles so I'll probably have to slack back a little to get the distance in.

Ah Now :rolleyes: you're always down on yourself.

Shazkea, Myself and RK are going to stretch it out to maybe 18 miles tomorrow. Don't worry about pace, we'll go at wahtever pace suits you if you want to do that distance.

menoscemo wrote: »

Shazkea, Myself and RK are going to stretch it out to maybe 18 miles tomorrow. Don't worry about pace, we'll go at wahtever pace suits you if you want to do that distance.

Haha. Ok, I'm wonderful! :cool: I'll stick with yee for as long as I can. 18 might be a push but a metre over 10 and I'd be delighted so I'll see hoe it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha. Ok, I'm wonderful! :cool: I'll stick with yee for as long as I can. 18 might be a push but a metre over 10 and I'd be delighted so I'll see hoe it goes.

You're probably best to stick to your plan of a 10 for this week. You've plenty of time ahead of Conn to get the longer ones. Barca however is only 8 weeks away :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Glad to hear the physio went well, hope tomorrow's lsr goes well too. I'm feeling mighty happy mine is done and out of the way for this week. Good luck tomorrow :)

Not a chance I'll be doing 9.30 pace for lsr so will be taking it handy to get distance in too. So don't worry about that.

Cheers meno, I appreciate that - you may regret saying that with the speed I go at! Plan is to do 16 but if I can stretch to 18 & stick with ye, I would be thrilled with that

Thats a relief I am sure!
    Whats the long run for tomorow? Hopefully we wont have any more ice/snow! Paths are a bit slippy out there today.

Plan is 16 but if I can hang onto the coat tails of meno & RK for longer, I will give it a bash. Praying the snow/ice is gone now for winterbut forecast is that it will be back around 20th :(

You're probably best to stick to your plan of a 10 for this week. You've plenty of time ahead of Conn to get the longer ones. Barca however is only 8 weeks away :eek:

I'd say that would be the sensible thing to do alright. Fingers crossed it goes ok. I wouldn't say no to 11 if it did :cool:
    Not a chance I'll be doing 9.30 pace for lsr so will be taking it handy to get distance in too. So don't worry about that.

Cheers meno, I appreciate that - you may regret saying that with the speed I go at! Plan is to do 16 but if I can stretch to 18 & stick with ye, I would be thrilled with that

Excellent! See you all tomrrow so. Looking forward to it. :)

Plan is 16 but if I can hang onto the coat tails of meno & RK for longer, I will give it a bash. Praying the snow/ice is gone now for winterbut forecast is that it will be back around 20th :(

Best of luck with the 16 tomorow, bet you will be fine!

Is the snow due back? NO!!

Group run in the park today for the LSR and it was good to finally put some faces to the names.

Plan was 16 and more if I could manage it but didn't get much further. I found the last few miles tough going and thanks to DigiJem for keeping me going till the end. Oh and apologies for holding you up with my slow pace :rolleyes:.

Distance: 16.32
    Time: 2:50:15
    Avg Pace: 10:26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good run today, Shazkea, and the pace suited me just fine. Enjoy some guilt-free biscuits, you've earned them :)

[HTML][/HTML]
    Group run in the park today for the LSR and it was good to finally put some faces to the names.

Plan was 16 and more if I could manage it but didn't get much further. I found the last few miles tough going and thanks to DigiJem for keeping me going till the end. Oh and apologies for holding you up with my slow pace :rolleyes:.

Distance: 16.32
    Time: 2:50:15
    Avg Pace: 10:26

Thats a great run
    Can I ask how do you manage to keep your mind occupied for such a long time running? At 1 hr 30 today I felt I was loosing the last of my mind with boredom and that was even with a podcast playing! Can't imagine 2hr 50!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

[HTML][/HTML]

Thats a great run
    Can I ask how do you manage to keep your mind occupied for such a long time running? At 1 hr 30 today I felt I was loosing the last of my mind with boredom and that was even with a podcast playing! Can't imagine 2hr 50!

If you're running with someone else, the longer runs go by much more quickly because you're generally just chatting away. If I'm doing a long run on my own though, I tend to either stick on a full live album (stuff like Rush in Rio or Dream Theater's Live Scenes From New York have made appearances in marathon training long runs for me), or else make a long playlist of a lot of my favourite songs. Pick somewhere nice to run too, if you've got a bit of nice scenery or somewhere that's a bit different from where you normally run it can help too.

• Advertisement

Plan for week Jan 10th
    Monday | 30 Min X
    Tuesday | 4 easy miles
    Wednesday | 50 Min X
    Thursday | 8 Miles PMP
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | Waterford Half 13.1
    Sunday | 75 Min Cross

Bitterly disappointed with that run yesterday. I completely died on the last few miles and had nothing in the tank. Fuel was def the problem and some good tips from Meno and RK afterwards for me to think about.
    Didn't hop into cold bath after coz I was freezing and my legs are in bits today. So some time on the bike this evening to get rid of that! LSR's are such a learning curve and I did think how in the name of god can I do 10 more miles!!

Advertisement