Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Finish Line...Scene 1; Take 2 - Location: Barcelona

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shazkea wrote: »
    how in the name of god can I do 10 more miles!!

Seriously, that thought goes through everyone's head at this stage, don't worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

LSR's are such a learning curve and I did think how in the name of god can I do 10 more miles!!

But you will! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Bitterly disappointed with that run yesterday. I completely died on the last few miles and had nothing in the tank. Fuel was def the problem and some good tips from Meno and RK afterwards for me to think about.
    Didn't hop into cold bath after coz I was freezing and my legs are in bits today. So some time on the bike this evening to get rid of that! LSR's are such a learning curve and I did think how in the name of god can I do 10 more miles!!

Don't be silly - you did great! It's probably time to experiment with the gels and really start thinking about nutrition etc now that you're up to those higher miles (not that I really know much!). I tried out a gel at 8.5miles (not necessary but just to see how it went down) and I'd say it did light a spark to get me around the last couple of miles. Great to meet you - sorry for running away, I got all caught up in talks of triathlons :rolleyes: (I don't know where I'm going the get the time to fulfil all these grand ideas...)!! See you again soon and keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey shaz, well done on the 16 miler! Don't be disappointed, that was great going. As you said, it's all a learning curve when it comes to fueling up. Personally, I found glucose sweets and jellies great for LSR's. Keep up the good work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thank guys. I had tried a gel on a previous run but didn't think it made that much of a difference, it obviously did!! I just ordered a box online!
    Jeez this running lark is one rollercoaster of emotions - I go from loving it to hating it in a split second :rolleyes:. Also signed up for Waterford yesterday for the race buzz. Will just treat it as an easy LSR and enjoy it.

Jan 10th
    Supposed to be a rest day but legs in bits after Sunday so went to gym.
    1 x 30 Mins on bike, 1 x stretching, 1 x cold bath and 1 x foam roller session later now means I have happy legs again!

• Advertisement

Jan 11th

Recovery run of 4 miles this eve and my legs just did not like this after the run on Sunday. Not even going to post the time it took as it was sooo slow :eek:

Also signed up for Waterford yesterday for the race buzz. Will just treat it as an easy LSR and enjoy it.

QUOTE]

Horay! :D

Bit of a crap week. Legs are not in the best form and generally feel achy and niggly! I've spent week shuffling around like an old woman and at times could have done with a zimmerframe ( no comments on my age please!!). In past times I would have gritted my teeth and ran through this and ended up out injured for a few months. But the new "wiser" me thought better of that approach!

So I took Wed off and went to gym for strength and stretching last night instead of 8 miler. Also using the foam roller alot but it just wasn't getting to the pain points so I resorted to the tiger balm/tennis ball approach last night! Main niggles are in my shin and calves so focused on those areas...omg ouch :eek:. Alot better this morning but covered in bruises! Round 2 of torture is tonight.

I did wonder on the wisdom of doing Waterford as naturally getting to the start (& finish line!) in Barca is main aim. I think I will still do it but as a really, really slow LSR and if I feel anything serious, I'll walk! Not worth it injuring myself over a half. Fingers crossed this is a temporary glitch and tomorrow goes ok.

Hiya! I'm feeling pretty similar this week, the legs are just pooped!! I'm also just going to take it easy and enjoy it. Two hours would be great but if it's not happening so be it. I'm looking forward to a good sleep tonight! Are you just going down and back tomorrow?

jeez everybody seems to be having a rotten week; must be the sugar crash after christmas!

Yep it will be a quick visit to Waterford; have to head back tomorrow night for some charity gig in town. Which reminds me I need to check out where the sports ground is as I have no idea of Waterford!

• Advertisement

Which reminds me I need to check out where the sports ground is as I have no idea of Waterford!

The RSC sports centre is on the Cork Road.

When you come into Waterford, go over the bridge in the left hand lane then turn onto the quay. Move into the right hand lane and head on down the quay, passing through traffic lights at the clock tower and another set at the Tower Hotel (still staying in the right lane), go straight ahead down Parnell Street, and on for about a mile eventually passing Woodies and a McDonalds. You'll then come to a roundabout (Ashe Road roundabout), go straight through that and the sports field is about 150 metres on the left hand side.

HTH (im not the best with driving directions, someone else might explain it better :o)

PS. hope you have a great race tomorrow!

RubyK wrote: »
    The RSC sports centre is on the Cork Road.

When you come into Waterford, go over the bridge in the left hand lane then turn onto the quay. Move into the right hand lane and head on down the quay, passing through traffic lights at the clock tower and another set at the Tower Hotel (still staying in the right lane), go straight ahead down Parnell Street, and on for about a mile eventually passing Woodies and a McDonalds. You'll then come to a roundabout (Ashe Road roundabout), go straight through that and the sports field is about 150 metres on the left hand side.

HTH (im not the best with driving directions, someone else might explain it better :o)

PS. hope you have a great race tomorrow!

Thanks Ruby, that's great. I'll let you know how good they are tomorrow evening ;) You coming in to watch the race?

Thanks Ruby, that's great. I'll let you know how good they are tomorrow evening ;) You coming in to watch the race?

I don't think I'll be able to. Looks like I'll be working.

Hope the directions will get you there ok! Safe journey :)

Just to be sure to be sure, I've pasted the below link from the AAroadwatch site.

From the Naas Road to RSC Waterford

http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_classic/route.asp

Cheers for those directions Ruby - I'm just carrying out some petty thievery from Shaz's page :)

You're more than welcome clara, just promise me you and shaz won't come hunting for me if ye get lost because of them :eek: ;)

claralara wrote: »
    Cheers for those directions Ruby - I'm just carrying out some petty thievery from Shaz's page :)

me too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    jeez everybody seems to be having a rotten week; must be the sugar crash after christmas!

[HTML][/HTML]

Maybe that is it!!! :D

Oh and Best of luck for race!!

RubyK wrote: »
    You're more than welcome clara, just promise me you and shaz won't come hunting for me if ye get lost because of them :eek: ;)

Em...that's not really filling me with confidence on your directions :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck. Another step to Barcelona !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Good luck. Another step to Barcelona !

Cheers :). Hope your training for Barca is going well despite the cold weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Shaz, best of luck with the race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck Shaz, hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck in Waterford tomorrow. Hope the weather holds!

I didn't have high ambitions for this run yesterday and aim was to finish it in one piece! Getting out of the car to collect the number at the SRC, I thought I've def lost it as the wind almost blew me away.

But got to the start line and off we went (in my borrowed rain jacket - tks DD!!). So strategy was just to treat it as a slow LSR and finish it comfortably. But as we ran out legs were feeling ok so I thought well lets use this as a PMP run and see if I can maintain this for Barca. Still undecided on PMP but it's between 10:00 - 10:18 (4:20 - 4:30 hours). So planned finish time was 2:12 - 2:15.

Then we hit the wind and rain and the fun began ;). I love running in the rain but that wind was awful in places so I just put head down and got into a rhythm. I ended up sliding in behind 2 runners at about the 5 mile mark who seemed to be running similar pace. So first half we spent running into the wind, rain and uphill including that little fecker of a side road towards the half way point. BTW did anyone notice the ould fella cheering us on with a smithwicks can in hand near the garage :D

Got chatting to my unofficial pacers and turns out they were aiming for a sub 2:10 so again my strategy changed and thought yep that sounds good, I'm game. So pretty much spent second half chatting away with them and enjoying the wind at our backs.
    I enjoyed this run and it was extremley comfortable except for maybe the last half mile where we picked up the pace even more. So the stats for my second half....(crap) PB was 2:23 in Kildare

Distance: 13.14
    Time: 2:07:59 (Chip time - although my garmin is 2:07:50)
    Pace: 9:46

Happy with this as its a PB by over 15 mins and tbh I wasn't pushing myself - this was a comfortable run. I def have a sub 2 in me this year.
    Down side shin splints back with a vengance but tennis ball and tiger balm will sort that out!!
    Missed meeting up with the crew after as I left phone in Dub :rolleyes: but really enjoyed those cookies....yummy! Great race and very well organised; I'll be back next year.

Thats great Shaz,and sounds like a great experience! Delighted for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done you - sub-2 definitely later this year! :)

Well done Shaz, nice run :) I think the official times are going to be out a bit - it took the guy with the scanner a few seconds to get me because I went walking off on him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Shaz, great time :)

Advertisement