Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio on Sky Italia

• 11-09-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice theres no English audio on any of the Premiership matches on today on Sky Italia? Is this part of the crackdown on people getting foreign Satellite systems in the UK and Ireland? This would be a disaster if it is, the only reason i paid the big money for Sky It was for the the 3pms and English commentary, my sub expires in December, i won't be renewing it if this continues.

On another note, all 4 3pm matches on Tring today have English commentary, I know the picture is'nt great but for the price and the amount of matches they're offering it has to be seen as a bargain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

i watched some of the arsenal game on calcio, there was no english audio

im not sure if it gonna be like that always, the barca game now has spanish commentary as well, so maybe its was a once off thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Anyone notice theres no English audio on any of the Premiership matches on today on Sky Italia?

I would imagine if this was the case that an English soundtrack wouldn't be provided by the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

No English commentary again today on the Liverpool match, this must be the Sky corporation getting together with the Premier League to try to cut out the sale of Foreign subs for viewing the Premier League.

Sky Italia is expensive compared to other options but is easily purchased, easily available on Hotbird and the HD picture quality is top class, in some cases I'd say its even better than SKY UK.

Its a real shame if this continues, the whole package is top notch and it was the HD picture and English commentary that made it as far as I was concerned.

I for one certainly won't be paying out €800-€1000 to renew my sub if there is no English commentary, I'd get a Cyfra+ card for the HD picture, Al Jazeera for everything else and get the radio delay software for the laptop.

Any other Broadcasters stop the English commentary? Like Sky Germany or Nova Greece?

Tring still have the English commentary today anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭irishchris

from what i have read on boards

no english audio on sky italia for any prem matches this weekend:
    canal nordic - {fin} no english
    nova - english
    sky germany - english
    pltv {7e,1w} english
    tv2eplhd no english on yesterdays united match not sure bout other matches
    d+ english

still english audio out there for now but would not be surprised if in future you see only native audio for premiership and no english option.

for me it does not matter as i have a cyfra hd card and use bbc 5live with audio delay to get english commentary. but for people with those subs it would be a shame.

oh missed one package there - from what i also heard sky uk had an english audio option this weekend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

irishchris wrote: »

nova - english
    sky germany - english
    pltv {7e,1w} english
    d+ english

still english audio out there for now but would not be surprised if in future you see only native audio for premiership and no english option.

for me it does not matter as i have a cyfra hd card and use bbc 5live with audio delay to get english commentary. but for people with those subs it would be a shame.

oh missed one package there - from what i also heard sky uk had an english audio option this weekend :D

Ya but Andy Gray comes with that package:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Ya but Andy Gray comes with that package:mad:

Exactly and he has barely grasped the English language as it is.

irishchris wrote: »

nova - english
    sky germany - english
    pltv {7e,1w} english
    d+ english

What is this audio delay, is it software and can it be downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

settopbox wrote: »
    What is this audio delay, is it software and can it be downloaded.

Its a piece of free software that can be downloaded. You connect a 3.5mm Jack Cable from the audio out of a satellite receiver to the audio in of a pc/ laptop. Put the sat receiver onto the channel of the game (Usually either BBC Radio Five Live, Talksport or Absoulute Radio) and use the software to delay it for about 9/10 seconds and you have English commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Cyfra had no English yesterday either for the Man Utd match, just polish.

sob1467 wrote: »
    Its a piece of free software that can be downloaded. You connect a 3.5mm Jack Cable from the audio out of a satellite receiver to the audio in of a pc/ laptop. Put the sat receiver onto the channel of the game (Usually either BBC Radio Five Live, Talksport or Absoulute Radio) and use the software to delay it for about 9/10 seconds and you have English commentary.

The way you have described it requires 2 tuners or 2 seperate satellite receivers.For those having a basic setup of 1 receiver you just need to access Radio 5 on the internet on a laptop/computer and delay it that way through the laptop/computer speakers.

• Advertisement

Also, most satellite receivers don't have a 3.5mm output jack (I've never seen one).However, most have an RCA left and right audio output (optical too but that's not an issue here) which requires a 2 way RCA output to 3.5mm stereo input jack to connect to a laptop/computer.

carbsy wrote: »
    Cyfra had no English yesterday either for the Man Utd match, just polish.

Isn't it always Polish only though?

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Isn't it always Polish only though?

Note sure tbh, I only watched my first live Cyfra game yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

you wont get english audio on cyfra carbsy

glic83 wrote: »
    you wont get english audio on cyfra carbsy

Thanks glic, I see that now.I'm using snaps method from now on of playing the Radio 5 audio through laptop on the BBC website (using Tor and mgeni) and delaying it.Works perfectly, no need for extra receiver etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Note sure tbh, I only watched my first live Cyfra game yesterday.

yep... all games on Cyfra+ are in Polish

An alternative to the audio delay for English audio -->
    a) mute the TV
    b) turn on a Foxsat DVR and switch to BBC Radio 5
    c) send the Foxsat output to an amp or DVD player
    d) press pause on the Foxsat remote
    e) wait about 7-8 seconds
    f) press play

et voila... synced English audio with the Cyfra+ game :D

[mind you yo do need a Foxsat (or other STB with live pause) and 1 dish @ 28e and another @ 13e ;)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The way you have described it requires 2 tuners or 2 seperate satellite receivers.For those having a basic setup of 1 receiver you just need to access Radio 5 on the internet on a laptop/computer and delay it that way through the laptop/computer speakers.

How are you accessing the commentrys online? Last year a lot of them were blocked due to copyright (Only available in the UK)?

What software you use to delay the internet stream?

I never had much luck doing it that way!

snaps wrote: »
    How are you accessing the commentrys online? Last year a lot of them were blocked due to copyright (Only available in the UK)?

A UK proxy I would imagine.

snaps wrote: »

What software you use to delay the internet stream?

I never had much luck doing it that way!

lol I haven't done the delay bit yet! I thought you had it working perfectly - got my wires crossed! :eek:

It's easy to access the Radio 5 online stream and anything on iplayer by using Tor (proxy - can be set for uk or a list of other countries) combined with mgeni to browse to it.You can use firefox if you want but I prefer to keep it all seperate with mgeni.

I'll have the delay working for weekend, somehow lol let me to it. :)

On reflection.I used to use a program called Total Recorder years ago - it allows recording of any audio (web streams included) to your hard drive and you could then play this *.wav file with a delay but then you'd have 2 streams playing. hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No English today on the Stoke game either. Landlords all around the UK & Ireland are pis*ed!

Think its gone for good.

PLHD on 7 east could become very popular for the pub trade.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    No English today on the Stoke game either. Landlords all around the UK & Ireland are pis*ed!

I am sure they will cope :) In a lot of pubs you cannot hear the commentary anyway.

Yep, Sky Italia is f**ked now as far as English commentary goes and they're only showing 2 3pms today and they are'nt even showing the Man City V Wigan match tomorrow. Might be time to invest in a 3 metre dish and get Abu Dhabi!!

I was thinking of going for the Cyfra Plus package but looking at this weekends choice of matches I might have to think again. According to LJ's they did'nt show the Stoke match this morning, The Arsenal match is in SD only and they're not showing the Chelsea match tomorrow at all.
    As far as I can make out the coverage is'nt great on this at all unless I'm missing something somewhere?

settopbox wrote: »
    Think its gone for good.

PLHD on 7 east could become very popular for the pub trade.

Any Sub available for this or are you talking about "gift" ?

If there is a sub available I'd be interested as all I'm looking for is the Sky/ESPN matches in HD, all the others I don't care about, Tring will look after them.

The 2 Premier League matches have frozen on Sky Italia now! All the other channels working fine, all the pubs will be happy just to get picture now never mind English commentary!!

Spurs V Wolves back on now on Sky Sport1 but still no sign of Everton V Newcastle. Very disappointing from Sky Italia this past 2 weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Tring will look after them.
    Well the picture quality on Tring today was substantially worse than last week.
    It was atrocious today .

Zardoz wrote: »
    It was atrocious today .

God... it must have been woeful so. :( Lucky I didn't buy a Tring card as I was tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,111 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

God... it must have been woeful so. :( Lucky I didn't buy a Tring card as I was tempted.

It was really poor.
    Washed out ,pixellated ,motion blurred ,and that was on a crt ,I can only imagine how bad it looked on an lcd !

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Finne1993 viewpost.gif
    Tring will look after them.

Zardoz wrote: »
    It was atrocious today .

I know the picture quality on Tring is poor, noone in their right mind would think otherwise (Unless you're a mod on Alsat.:D) But at the same time, £209stg for a choice of 8 live matches a week is a bargain and is great for the non Sky matches, ie: the extra Saturday 3pms and Sunday 3pms and the midweek matches.

I'm after a HD sub for a decent price that carries all the matches that Sky and ESPN show as I won't be renewing my Sky Italia sub if they continue to broadcast the matches in Italian only. One of the big reasons for me paying the big money for it was English commentary with a fantastic HD picture and that commentary seems to have gone now. If this continues I'm as well trying to get a cheap HD sub and use the commentary of Five Live (Or Tring as thats what I done today, The English commentary on Tring was just about in sync with the Sky Italia HD coverage!)

Cyfra+ has been shouted about a lot on the foreign satellite forum but their choice of matches has been pretty poor so far this season, cheap price I know but they don't show all the Sky/ESPN matches and some of the ones they do show are only in SD so they're out the window for me. All the rest seem to be pretty expensive or unaccessible unless you've a massive dish, maybe theres another choice I've overlooked?? And I don't mean hex keys or any hacking, can't be bothered getting into that, its a proper subscription card I'm after.

Advertisement