Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio on Sky Italia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

This is just my 2 pennys worth about whats happening with EPL in English language. If you ask me, SKY UK and the EPL are pushing people into piracy if they will even punish broadcasters by taking away their English audio feed.

If EPL start all this bully boy tactics as well with providers/broadcasters (Who have paid millions for their rights and a lot are now near bankruptcy as people in certain countrys cannot afford to get the extra EPL subs now being asked for the EPL, Scandinavia broadcasters have really struggled to sell the EPL extra subs this year for which the previous seasons were included in a normal sport sub & also the middle east Abu Dubai network has also struggled to sell subs), they will be hard pushed getting providers coffing up for rights when they are up.

If the Irish/UK public that are willing to pay up to a 1,000€ for a legitimat sub, cant get what they want, then they are going to get their EPL fix from other means, either by piracy or the internet.

It seems to me that Sky UK/EPL want all their cake and wish to eat it.

What has now happened in Ireland with the 3 sports subs for all the football (Along with ESPN blocking Europa league), its all got out of control.

A lot of joe public (Including landlords of pubs), are getting the smell of cheaper options out there to watch sport now and i know even down my small rual local pub, people are talking of ditching sky premium channels for either internet streams or foreign providers (and these are people from a farming background and not to technically minded!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

agree with you snaps
    the problem totally lies with the epl..sky ita is now showing the barca game with proper spanish audio so the problem is not with sky ita at all

the only way that our local tv providers will understand that a change is needed is by boycotting them..unfortunately i think that the majority of people still thinks that the only way to watch the football involves joining sky, so if they still see customers buying there products ,they are not gonna change

i ve seen loads of threads here mentioning ppl tryin to cancel packages and then bein offered a few months at a reduced cost..even then it is still not worth the money

if people have cash to burn like that,so be it..i definetly wont be joining them

I wonder if Sky UK are making the same effort to get their cards switched off in all the holiday resort pubs and clubs around europe which are breaking their terms and conditions????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

snaps wrote: »
    I wonder if Sky UK are making the same effort to get their cards switched off in all the holiday resort pubs and clubs around europe which are breaking their terms and conditions????

lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sky Germany English is still good. I hope that isn't next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thomo2710

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Finne1993 viewpost.gif

But at the same time, £209stg for a choice of 8 live matches a week is a bargain

isnt come the end of the season when you have totted up all the extra money you have spent on paracetamol to clear your scrambled head after watching a contant blur for 2 hours and then had to pop down to specsavers in January aswell to save your eyesite!!! :D

According to the Daily Mail
    Daily Mail wrote:
    The Premier League are cracking down on pirate live screenings in pubs of 3pm Saturday fixtures by switching off the English commentary option on Sky Italia's coverage.

The foreign rights holder's satellite system has been regularly used for illegal showings.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1313448/Charles-Sale-Kenyon-helps-Fabio-Capello-6m-salary.html#ixzz104TxB1jw

Pretty stupid really as people buy foreign services to mostly see games. I am aware that English audio is important to some also but not everyone. Can we expect to see the English soundtrack being removed from all European services not intended for Ireland and the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭denis1501

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    According to the Daily Mail

Pretty stupid really as people buy foreign services to mostly see games. I am aware that English audio is important to some also but not everyone. Can we expect to see the English soundtrack being removed from all European services not intended for Ireland and the UK?

English commentary was back last night for the Spurs-Arsenal game.
    I rang the Sky It customer services to complain about the missing english audio last weekend to be told it was a technical fault and normal service would resume soon. However another chap reports on an IT forum that when he complained he was told that it was a rights issue.
    Italians are not happy about this, they love listening to the english audio and many are complaining bitterly about it's disappearance. Now that we had english again last night they will no longer be able to use the 'technical fault' line if it's missing on saturday. Watch this space!!

denis1501 wrote: »
    English commentary was back last night for the Spurs-Arsenal game.
    I rang the Sky It customer services to complain about the missing english audio last weekend to be told it was a technical fault and normal service would resume soon. However another chap reports on an IT forum that when he complained he was told that it was a rights issue.
    Italians are not happy about this, they love listening to the english audio and many are complaining bitterly about it's disappearance. Now that we had english again last night they will no longer be able to use the 'technical fault' line if it's missing on saturday. Watch this space!!

The Carling Cup isn't owned by the Premier League so I fear that last night isn't an idictation of the future. The graphics were near identical to the ones used on the Championship games.

Fingers crossed that the English audio does come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

Well it looks like now that they have done the same thing with sky germany.

I was watching the man city game today on it and there was no english commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The FA do not interfer with transport streams containing alternative audio. The broadcasters do and have chosen to do so with the 2 fingers to its legitimate customers. It doesnt matter if the English FA row in behind this, they are all behind the one cosy cartel.

In this case these broadcasting companies are very closely related and are all partly owned by one related company in the UK.

It is only a matter of time before Sky cheese off so many of its subscribers in other countries that these legitimate customers who are being made suffer less quality pay services that bear no resemblance to those services they initially signed up to, pursue genuine grievances, demand refunds and/or vote with their feet.

No doubt the motivation is money, infact huge money losses (I am sure it is due to seriously falling commercial pub subscriptions in the UK - 50% of their income who are choosing to ignore/flout the T&C of Sky Italia and the likes in the current economic downturn).

Where is the interference with the alternative streams being manipulated from ?

The sooner that the EU steps here explains to broadcasters that they are not outside the EU when it comes to free trade of pay sports subscriptions the better. Then Sky and the FA will be forced to revisit how much player are being piad and how it is being financed by UK subscribers via their pricing policy in the UK for which they have been minting it for far too long.

Correct me if im wrong here, but all the countrys that have "Sky" as their satellite broadcaster have no other satellite broadcaster or competition?

Yes the sooner the EU sort all this corruption out the better, The bubble is there for it to burst in the EPL/Pay TV sector.

People are cancelling commercial subs thats a fact. 14 pubs here in my town, last year 6 had sky, this season only 2 has it, the last price rise was the final straw, how can 160e a week be justified in a small rual country pub? How much must pubs in citys be paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,111 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Correct me if im wrong here, but all the countrys that have "Sky" as their satellite broadcaster have no other satellite broadcaster or competition?
    Sky Italy have serious rivals in Mediaset owned by Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi who broadcast on DTT.
    They are embroiled in a fierce price war at the moment and I think Murdoch has met his match in Berlusconi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Yes the sooner the EU sort all this corruption out the better, The bubble is there for it to burst in the EPL/Pay TV sector.

People are cancelling commercial subs thats a fact. 14 pubs here in my town, last year 6 had sky, this season only 2 has it, the last price rise was the final straw, how can 160e a week be justified in a small rual country pub? How much must pubs in citys be paying?

A bubble is exactly what it is m8 - They put prices UP in a recession, which is both a greedy & stupid thing to do - I personally have reduced my sub down for Sky UK to 2 packs because of this.

When the bubble bursts football will be left to pick up the pieces.

Lets see where the greedy players end up then.

Sky Italy have serious rivals in Mediaset owned by Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi who broadcast on DTT.
    They are embroiled in a fierce price war at the moment and I think Murdoch has met his match in Berlusconi.

Are they DTT only??

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Lets see where the greedy players end up then.

MLS probably.

True up to a point, don't agree with that last bit though!
    Long live price wars. I can now have ALL the football and in HD till 31st of May 2011 for €59! It's called a 'ticket calcio' here.
    Plus I can have any two mixes plus any premium pack (Sport, Cinema or Calcio) for €24.90 a month with the price fixed for 2 years.
    Bellissimo!!

True up to a point, don't agree with that last bit though!
    Long live price wars. I can now have ALL the football and in HD till 31st of May 2011 for €59! It's called a 'ticket calcio' here.
    Plus I can have any two mixes plus any premium pack (Sport, Cinema or Calcio) for €24.90 a month with the price fixed for 2 years.
    Bellissimo!!

Thats a great deal but it will be shortlived,you know as well as I that once Sky increase their market share they will revert to their rip off prices .
    €24.90 wont even get you 2 mixes in Ireland not to mind Sport ! We are being rightly screwed.

Thats a great deal but it will be shortlived,you know as well as I that once Sky increase their market share they will revert to their rip off prices .
    €24.90 wont even get you 2 mixes in Ireland not to mind Sport ! We are being rightly screwed.

Because there is no real competetion here, Setanta and ESPN really aren't competition as they only get the left overs from Sky.

• Advertisement

And HD included as well! None of this €15 a month HD fee crap.

Because there is no real competetion here, Setanta and ESPN really aren't competition as they only get the left overs from Sky.

As far as the UK market goes ESPN at the minute is indeed getting the left-overs.

Apparently though, those boys have some real clout financially behind them & wont be going away like Setanta did from the UK market.

Incidentally, off-topic but Ian Darke - whom is my fav commentator has left Sky to work as ESPN's top footy commentator in the US.

I'm going to miss him on the Boxing too.

http://www.epltalk.com/espn-raises-the-bar-with-premier-league-coverage-in-united-states-24920

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Ian Darke has left sky.:(

I loved listening to Darke both for boxing and football.

Knew his stuff and brought lots of energy to his work.

Hope his makes a packet and has a nice life in the states for himself.

Apparently though, those boys have some real clout financially behind them & wont be going away like Setanta did from the UK market.

ESPN wont over bid for rights though.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    ESPN wont over bid for rights though.

I do think they'll acquire more Live games the next time the rights are on the table.

23 games they have is nowhere near enough.

All this remains to be seen of course.

settopbox wrote: »
    Ian Darke has left sky.:(

I loved listening to Darke both for boxing and football.

Knew his stuff and brought lots of energy to his work.

Hope his makes a packet and has a nice life in the states for himself.

I'd imagine he will still be based in the UK,he will be commentating on the EPL so no need to go to the US.

I'd imagine he will still be based in the UK,he will be commentating on the EPL so no need to go to the US.

There using a feed from ESPN UK studios with Rebecca Lowe chairing it, Darke is indeed UK based.

English audio was back for the Newcastle-Stoke City match!
    It was not available on channel 205 but was available on Sky Calcio, channel 259.

English audio was back for the Newcastle-Stoke City match!
    It was not available on channel 205 but was available on Sky Calcio, channel 259.

Denis are there complaints about this in Italy - taking the audio away from EPL games??

Cheers in advance

• Advertisement

Denis are there complaints about this in Italy - taking the audio away from EPL games??

Cheers in advance

Yes, there are lots of people complaining in the various forums, via e-mail, phone calls etc.
    People see this as a deterioration in the quality of the service being provided, they are not happy. The Italian commentary drowns out the sounds of the stadium, the english one doesn't. That's one of the main complaints I'm reading.

Advertisement