Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damned Grass!

Options
  • 11-09-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Im a little frustrated...
    I got a large section of the garden covered with stone chips/pebbles, with mypex underneath.

Clumps of grass and the odd docken weed are popping up.

We are slowly getting more plants/trees planted as well.

So, how do I stop the grass/weeds? I was thinking Roundup but Im wary of killing nearby plants.
    Am I missing something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How deep is the stone covering, it might need more to totally block out the light..

If you are careful with roundup it would be OK, maybe paint on with a brush onto the docks would kill them off anf not risk contamination...

If you fold cardboard into a square tunnel, place it down over the weed grass and then spray roundup down the centre... This works well to stop drift onto nearby plants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TheDuderino

bbam wrote: »
    How deep is the stone covering, it might need more to totally block out the light..

If you are careful with roundup it would be OK, maybe paint on with a brush onto the docks would kill them off anf not risk contamination...

If you fold cardboard into a square tunnel, place it down over the weed grass and then spray roundup down the centre... This works well to stop drift onto nearby plants...

Hmmmmm sweet idea on using say an opened out cardboard box to shield when spraying.

Probably not enough stone. Alas the money... or lack there of.

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Im a little frustrated...
    I got a large section of the garden covered with stone chips/pebbles, with mypex underneath.

Clumps of grass and the odd docken weed are popping up.

We are slowly getting more plants/trees planted as well.

So, how do I stop the grass/weeds? I was thinking Roundup but Im wary of killing nearby plants.
    Am I missing something?

Check the grass to see if it's Scutch / Quack Grass (Cynodon dactylon?)

http://brandon.fuller.name/photos/2005/2005-04-07--Weed.jpg

A pesk, a good idea to use that box over your sprayer head... paint the roundup if you a are too close to some plants shrubs ... it might not kill most shrubs but it will knock them back.

Before you plant more shrubs ... get rid of this weed... or it will quickly take over!!

The plant spreads by runners and rhizomes I have seen the rhizomes travel thru a potato ... it's the thick white "root like" uderground stem am not surprised it broke the mypex... kill it all.... one spay WILL NOT BE ENOUGH ... you will have to spray again next spring and possibly summer... plant next autumn ... making sure all the Grass is dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

I have the same problem and my theory was that the stones were not washed and therefore the tiny deposits of clay or sand or whatever was on them has gotten washed onto the mypex and the weeds are using this as theyyre footing. ie they are growing on top of the mypex rather than through it, if you follow me.
    I just spray the sh*t out of it with weedol but its a losing battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TheDuderino

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    I have the same problem and my theory was that the stones were not washed and therefore the tiny deposits of clay or sand or whatever was on them has gotten washed onto the mypex and the weeds are using this as theyyre footing. ie they are growing on top of the mypex rather than through it, if you follow me.
    I just spray the sh*t out of it with weedol but its a losing battle.

Not washed stones. hmmmmm that sounds very familiar.

Yeah I recon, spray so much nothing will grow for another 1000 years.

Here's hoping

• Advertisement
Advertisement