Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fish Pedicure

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

pretty sure the fish dont have the digits necessary to complete a pedicure??

Having digits doesn't necessarily mean a beautician will do a good pedicure:)

This Fish pedicure isn't a proper pedicure per se, but one of the primary reasons to get a pedicure is to get rid of hard skin etc, which these fish are apparently very good at doing, so I'd wager the end result for your feet would probably be a hell of a lot better in terms of skin removal than your average pedicure in Galway would deliver. I'm looking forward to trying it anyway:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Having digits doesn't necessarily mean a beautician will do a good pedicure:)

This Fish pedicure isn't a proper pedicure per se, but one of the primary reasons to get a pedicure is to get rid of hard skin etc, which these fish are apparently very good at doing, so I'd wager the end result for your feet would probably be a hell of a lot better in terms of skin removal than your average pedicure in Galway would deliver. I'm looking forward to trying it anyway:)
    Must admit that i know little of the goings on of a pedicure so i will take your word for it. :)
    Like i said im sure they will do well to start but i just think this sort of venture has a relatively short shelf life. best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

<see charter about posting phone numbers, mod>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Place in Eyre Shopping center looks like empty room with some cheap sofas and fish tanks in front of them. Not really welcoming IMO and thinking you would soak your feet in it after somebody with some skin problems. Yay :rolleyes: No, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Well I was in was in over the weekend and enjoyed it very much. The sensation is similiar to a buzzing feeeling. It was quite relaxing. They have magazines if you want to read something during the experience, though I would probably bring a book the next time.
    My feet were definitely softer afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I noticed the new fish pedicure place in the Eyre Square Centre over the weekend, strangely enough, it was on the same day that I read in the Guardian and/or Observer that quite a few states in the US are going to ban them - something to do with the possibility of their spreading disease and (by the way) animal welfare groups worrying about the treatment of the fish...!

I thought it a bit odd that when I passed, all of the people in there with their feet in the tanks were men.?!?

Eeden wrote: »

I thought it a bit odd that when I passed, all of the people in there with their feet in the tanks were men.?!?

Thats because this place wouldnt be "aesthetically pleasing" enough and hygienic for any woman :pac: and i also dont think there is many girls out there with rough feet.

softmee wrote: »
    Thats because this place wouldnt be "aesthetically pleasing" enough and hygienic for any woman :pac: and i also dont think there is many girls out there with rough feet.

i've passed it twice and on both occasions two middle aged women were in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

The interior could do with a bit of TLC...jeez put a picture up on the wall or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Something interesting i found on this.... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7086874.ece

I cant believe my eyes as to this actually happens?:eek:

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Something interesting i found on this.... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7086874.ece

I cant believe my eyes as to this actually happens?:eek:

"Health officials fear the fish could spread infections to customers through open wounds or that a customer’s tiny nicks could become infected."
    -this is what i was talking about...

"“We give each client their own separate tank, unlike in Asia where they use one big tank for everyone. There’s no way the fish can bring infection from client to client. We clean each customer’s feet and we don’t take anyone with a fungal infection.”

-so what she cleans tank and changes water after every customer? I dont think so.. and you cant diagnose fungal infection just like that by looking at it.

" there is no single body to ensure salons meet hygiene standards. "

It's like with kitchens in Ireland, they check if sinks and fridges are placed in the proper locations, but nobody cares if chef is healthy and does not have something like jaudice or any other contagious disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

magentas wrote: »
    The interior could do with a bit of TLC...jeez put a picture up on the wall or something!
    Bigtime, they need an interior decorator in there and maybe do a partnership with one of those nail painters. And curtains, for goodness sake.

Yeah, its not exactly like this unfortunately :

fishspa2.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us :pac:

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Bigtime, they need an interior decorator in there and maybe do a partnership with one of those nail painters. And curtains, for goodness sake.
    Why do you want curtains? You arent supposed to put anything apart from your feet in the water :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

Theres a place opening in the shopping center soon, and for one I cant wait!! :P:P

• Advertisement

Theres a place opening in the shopping center soon, and for one I cant wait!! :P:P
    The Galway Shopping Centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Why do you want curtains? You arent supposed to put anything apart from your feet in the water :confused:
    Ah just people gaping in the window at you. You want a bit of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

The Galway Shopping Centre?

Sorry eyre Square shopping center

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Ah just people gaping in the window at you. You want a bit of class.
    i dont think people go to these places for the 'class' of them. I would assume some form of expensive nail spa would be more classy?

i dont think people go to these places for the 'class' of them. I would assume some form of expensive nail spa would be more classy?

This is kind of spa experience, so IMO to be inviting and to make me want to spend any time there it has to be nice interior, if not only classy -at least cosy and made with some idea and style. Its like with any place like hotel, restaurant or anything, if its dodgy i dont even want to try.

• Advertisement

Sorry eyre Square shopping center
    thats the place that opened last week that we are already discussing :rolleyes:

This is kind of spa experience, so IMO to be inviting and to make me want to spend any time there it has to be nice interior, if not only classy -at least cosy and made with some idea and style. Its like with any place like hotel, restaurant or anything, if its dodgy i dont even want to try.
    i was only asking why curtains would be needed, never saw them in one before.

i was only asking why curtains would be needed, never saw them in one before.

No, you said people dont go to these kind of places for the class of them. ;) -and i think some kind of blinds maybe, not curtains.

No, you said people dont go to these kind of places for the class of them. ;) -and i think some kind of blinds maybe, not curtains.
    well any of the ones i have previously seen have been based in shopping centres and are very much open for the public to see what happens and encourage them to try it not to hide behind things and make people guess!

well any of the ones i have previously seen have been based in shopping centres and are very much open for the public to see what happens and encourage them to try it not to hide behind things and make people guess!

Its just about the way you do it, it could be partly covered and partly open, just to avoid this austere look.

Its just about the way you do it, it could be partly covered and partly open, just to avoid this austere look.
    i agree it doesnt look much, and if i was even partly interested in it it wouldnt entice me in at all, the other one opening soon down Buttermilk Lane looks pretty poor from what ive seen of it as they are working in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

they need something to provide some degree of privacy and add a touch of warmth.
    when I passed by last Saturday there was a load of young lads gawking in and laughing at people on the other side of the massive bare window...wouldn't exactly entice me in.

doesn't have to be curtains, even just a sheer voile panel or mobile partitions for optional privacy? It could look nice with a little effort. With something like this, I think a little ambiance is required:cool:

Yes and it doesnt have to be expencive to do it really. I can see it already (i should be interior designer i think). :D Some underwater murals ( http://www.muralsdirect.co.uk/wallpapermurals/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=383 ) on the back wall, nice blinds, better light and one small glass or wooden counter and thats it. To make it clear what kind of place is this, i would place one water tank in front window. Easy

Yes and it doesnt have to be expencive to do it really. I can see it already (i should be interior designer i think). :D Some underwater murals ( http://www.muralsdirect.co.uk/wallpapermurals/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=383 ) on the back wall, nice blinds, better light and one small glass or wooden counter and thats it. To make it clear what kind of place is this, i would place one water tank in front window. Easy
    i dont see why any business would want to block the view into their premises, its all about getting the customer in not making it difficult for them to understand, and trust me there are some incredibly stupid people out there who need instructions for life.
    The place definitely needs some interior decorating but not window blocking. As a wise man once said,its better they are looking at it than looking for it.

Ok, maybe if it would be nice and welcoming inside it wouldn't need anything, but it doeasnt have to be covered -like i said before - anything, hanging lamps, some plants or nice exotic screen on side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

If you have any cuts, scratches, open wounds, verucas or fungal infections such as athletes foot you can't use the service wink.gif

If you have any cuts, scratches, open wounds, verucas or fungal infections such as athletes foot you can't use the service wink.gif

Do they check for those things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Yes they check for those things . I know from talking with the owner that he invested in the most advanced ( and expensive ) filtration systems available. The service is utterly hygienic, as the fish produce an enzyme called diathanol when working on the feet, which has cleansing properties, and therein lye the benefits of the treatment, aswell as the removal of unwanted dead skin cells.
    The decor is something he is aware of, and has plans to soften the appearance of the shop, and the suggestion of the portable partition by an earlier poster is an excellent suggestion that i'm sure he'll appreciate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tumblywumbly

i was walking through the eyre square shopping centre today upstairs, and there seems to be another fish pedicure place opening up there. I really don't think two shops can sustain business there.

Youd be very suprised.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Youd be very suprised.
    id be more than very surprised plus the one beside Tulsi is yet to open, be shocked if all are open in 6 months, the upstairs one in ESC has at least better decor than downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

For anyone interested in this there is a deal today on living social for it. Half price

Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ulysses_cohen

disgusting and very dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement