Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutorial: Changing NAT from Strict/Moderate to Open.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

As I said over in the other thread, get it repaired! It will be 100% fixed and tested. They are usually very speedy. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Don,t know if this is related but here goes. Got myself a new belkin router to upgrade my wireless range. I tried last night to play BFBC2 online. It would let me play for a few minutes and then it would lag like crazy. Same story with CoD4. This morning tried it again but I switched it off and plugged it out. It allowed me to play CoD for a good while no proplem. Flushed with success I made an attempt at BF again. Same story. Connection lost with EA servers. When I plug back in my netgear its all systems go.
    When I run the connection test on the Xbox its saying its fine so other than the issues with connection there are no indications of any problems. The uPnP is enabled.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

cycocycle wrote: »
    Don,t know if this is related but here goes. Got myself a new belkin router to upgrade my wireless range. I tried last night to play BFBC2 online. It would let me play for a few minutes and then it would lag like crazy. Same story with CoD4. This morning tried it again but I switched it off and plugged it out. It allowed me to play CoD for a good while no proplem. Flushed with success I made an attempt at BF again. Same story. Connection lost with EA servers. When I plug back in my netgear its all systems go.
    When I run the connection test on the Xbox its saying its fine so other than the issues with connection there are no indications of any problems. The uPnP is enabled.
    Any ideas?

can you post the model no. of the Belkin router? Chances are it's got to do with the firewall or quality of service settings within the router. Try lowering the routers firewall and see if that makes a difference first. Also, open all the correct ports regardless of what the network test came back as or alternatively, just place the static IP address of the xbox into the router's DMZ if it has one. My guess it's the firewall though.

can you post the model no. of the Belkin router? Chances are it's got to do with the firewall or quality of service settings within the router. Try lowering the routers firewall and see if that makes a difference first. Also, open all the correct ports regardless of what the network test came back as or alternatively, just place the static IP address of the xbox into the router's DMZ if it has one. My guess it's the firewall though.

Opened the ports etc as per the original post. Got the yellow warning triangle where there was none before! I then disabled the routers firewall. Finally I entered the Ip add into the DMZ.
    Connection test on the xbox came back OK but the issues with the ea servers on BFBC2 remain. It is now allowing me to join games but the connection seems to be hit and miss. After about 30 seconds it will lag like crazy and kick me from the match!
    Its a Belkin F5D8236-4 v2 (01). If I plug in the netgear router its fine.

Opened the ports etc as per the original post. Got the yellow warning triangle where there was none before! I then disabled the routers firewall. Finally I entered the Ip add into the DMZ.
    Connection test on the xbox came back OK but the issues with the ea servers on BFBC2 remain. It is now allowing me to join games but the connection seems to be hit and miss. After about 30 seconds it will lag like crazy and kick me from the match!
    Its a Belkin F5D8236-4 v2 (01). If I plug in the netgear router its fine.

Interesting.... I'll have a think about it tonight and let you know what I come up. Have a few ideas but need to do a little research first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

that is very strange.
    is that the only problem with the router is everything else working.
    it sounds straight off like a firewall issue
    but if you put the xbox in dmz
    it should work did you make sure that the xbox has a static ip.
    did you try factory resetting the router.

Edit: you might get a better/quicker response in the net and comms forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Hi there,
    Strange alright.I would only choose one of the options-the DMZ one. Make sure you have set up a staic I.P for the xbox as Dunworth has said(or else your router will assign a new i.p different to that which is entered into the DMZ box) Using the DMZ should take care of any issues since it bypasses any firewalls present.
    Thanks for giving us the model number...I will have a look at it later and see if any other simliar issues have happened

Hi there,
    Strange alright.I would only choose one of the options-the DMZ one. Make sure you have set up a staic I.P for the xbox as Dunworth has said(or else your router will assign a new i.p different to that which is entered into the DMZ box) Using the DMZ should take care of any issues since it bypasses any firewalls present.
    Thanks for giving us the model number...I will have a look at it later and see if any other simliar issues have happened

Walshy, do you think it could have something to do with the lease time of the router or something similar. If it's initially ok and then gets worse, I have a feeling it could be a setting like that. Just haven't had a chance to research it more today. Any ideas?

Walshy, do you think it could have something to do with the lease time of the router or something similar. If it's initially ok and then gets worse, I have a feeling it could be a setting like that. Just haven't had a chance to research it more today. Any ideas?

I'm unsure if it is a lease time issue to be honest but I found this:

"The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user will be allowed connection to the Router with their current dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes, that the user will be "leased" this dynamic IP address."

We assign static I.P's so I don't think this would effect it but maybe he could increase the time anyways and see if it has any effect.

Is it just me or am I the only one struggling to realise how he is connecting?

How do you connect to xbox live? Wired or wireless?
    Can you give us a layout of your setup please? Thanks

I'm unsure if it is a lease time issue to be honest but I found this:

"The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user will be allowed connection to the Router with their current dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes, that the user will be "leased" this dynamic IP address."

We assign static I.P's so I don't think this would effect it but maybe he could increase the time anyways and see if it has any effect.

Is it just me or am I the only one struggling to realise how he is connecting?

How do you connect to xbox live? Wired or wireless?
    Can you give us a layout of your setup please? Thanks

Yeah, that detail would help a lot.

• Advertisement

i would doubt that its the lease time since its only happening with the one game

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i would doubt that its the lease time since its only happening with the one game
    It was happening with CoD 4 as well. Also it was randomly signing me out of xbox live. Im sure everyone in my friends list was getting sick of the notifications when I signed back in!
    I will be trying it again in a while and I'll get back then.

It was happening with CoD 4 as well. Also it was randomly signing me out of xbox live. Im sure everyone in my friends list was getting sick of the notifications when I signed back in!
    I will be trying it again in a while and I'll get back then.

If you want, you could use your older router as your main hub and have your xbox connected directly into it and have your wireless switched off. Then use your new router as a wireless access point by plugging that into your older router. Thereby availing of both the superior xbox compatibility of the older router and also the wider range of the newer router. Just an idea.

This is not making sense at all. When I logged in last night the connection kept dropping on me. Went back and assigned an IP address and put it in the DMZ. It again stated that my NAT was moderate. Re ran the connection test and I got an error message stating my MTU was incorrect.(whatever that is). After several attempts without changing any settings I never got this message again.Restored router defaults and restored the console to automatic. No problems with connection test but connection to xbox live was unstable. I,m getting the feeling that it may be the type of broadband I have. I,ll try and get in touch with the provider to see if he has any ideas. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hi,

where is the DMZ option on the standard eircom netopia router?

thansk

hi,

where is the DMZ option on the standard eircom netopia router?

thansk

Don't know specifically where it is or whether it has one for definite. If it has one, it'll be an option around the PORT FORWARDING section. If it doesn't have a DMZ, just open the relevant ports will do the same thing. Either way, you'll still need to assign it a static IP address.

ok guys maybe ye can help me out with a problem i have been having.

i noticed the other day that my nat was moderate so i put my xbox into dmz
    turn on xbox all worked fine then from the second time i turned on my xbox i have problems

it dosent auto login to live and if i try to login from the dashboard it will fail and ask me to test connection now this is the weird thing if i test the connection its fine and then it will let me login into live.

this only happens when i have the xbox in dmz if i take it out of dmz it logs in straight away

any ideas

connected wireless to a d-link dir-615 with DD-wrt running on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

I found the best solution was to get just a Standard modem from your internet provider and setup your own router.

I had the same problem with NAT on 3 XBox's. A little digging on the net and I was told that any router that had Windows Vista or Windows 7 compatible sticker on it would give me open NAT on all 3 Xbox.

I got a NetGear Router (can't remember the model) plugged it in and had open NAT on all 3 xbox without changing any settings.

turn on xbox all worked fine then from the second time i turned on my xbox i have problems

it dosent auto login to live and if i try to login from the dashboard it will fail and ask me to test connection now this is the weird thing if i test the connection its fine and then it will let me login into live.

this only happens when i have the xbox in dmz if i take it out of dmz it logs in straight away

any ideas

take it out of the DMZ and open up the correct ports instead. It might be conflicting.

any ideas

Hi dunworth,
    I don't login automatically on the xbox and I use the DMZ option.
    When the dashboard comes up then I go to my profile and login.
    Sometimes it will fail and make me test the connection but only after I have changed any settings on the configuration page.

I believe it just takes a bit of time for the connection to realise what is happening and to test that the connection is working fully. When you try login automatically as soon as you turn on the xbox, you are giving it no time to establish the connection and this is why it fails. Then when you exit and go to test, it has enough time and shows that there is no problem then.
    Its a bit strange since you would think it would work straight but in fact it may not. I wouldn't get too worried about it, once you have NAT of open its happy days just give it a few secs:D

• Advertisement

ok thanks for the help guys i decided to forward the ports and everything seems to be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i lads i just got my xbox fixed, i have it set up now for xbox live but the nat is set to moderate, how do i change this im using vodafone mobile broadband, i tried entering the ip address to open the route settings but that doesnt work

incase ye havent realised im hopeless with computers

Ok are you able to tell me how you are connecting? Wired or wireless? Don't have a clue with those vodafone mobile things!!

Are you able to access DMZ option on the config page or change the port settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Ok are you able to tell me how you are connecting? Wired or wireless? Don't have a clue with those vodafone mobile things!!

Are you able to access DMZ option on the config page or change the port settings?

connecting using the cable that came with the xbox, to be honest i have no clue about port settings etc, will a moderate nat setting make a big difference

Ok, were you able to get on to your router configuration page on your computer and find out what options you have (Dmz or port changing or even both could be there).Thats step 1 in the tutorial.
    If you go through it slowly you should be ok but give yourself time and try it first!(If you have trouble, tell me where bouts in the steps)
    Moderate may not allow you join other friends games and been able to hear them in the lobby.Open is ideal.
    Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

my nat type is always open , but its takes 15 mins to find a game on mw2 ,
    why is this?

Finno59 wrote: »
    my nat type is always open , but its takes 15 mins to find a game on mw2 ,
    why is this?

That has nothing to do with your NAT type then. It's probably a match-making issue or a problem with poor latency or your connection can't maintain a constant stream of data. You can check your connection out at www.irishisptest.com and PM me with the detailed results. I'll have a look at them for you.

Also, refresh your router regularly regardless what your NAT type is. I'd recommend refreshing it every time you plan on using your xbox. Also, make sure no other program is sucking up your bandwidth. For the best xbox live connection, have no other device connected to the router, so turn off any PC, laptop or media center.

Please don't post this issue on this thread again, since you have an OPEN NAT, it's not NAT related and it'd be nice to keep this thread purely for NAT related issues. Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You can check your connection out at www.irishisptest.com and PM me with the detailed results. I'll have a look at them for you.

Hi there,
    I'm being driven spare with problems when playing online...if I sent you the detailed results, can you see if you can spot anything wrong please?

Thanks,
    FG

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm being driven spare with problems when playing online...if I sent you the detailed results, can you see if you can spot anything wrong please?

Thanks,
    FG

PM me it and I'll have a look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭May Feign

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks,
    FG

whilst this is a brilliant guide and i have followed it to the letter of the law,even creating a thread aksing for help (which was widely ignored) sometimes you have to accept that no matter what you do ,your router is to blame for having a moderate or strict nat and no amount of tweaking is gonna change that. i have a belkin n1 router and boy is it **** for gaming

Advertisement