Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutorial: Changing NAT from Strict/Moderate to Open.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

May Feign wrote: »
    whilst this is a brilliant guide and i have followed it to the letter of the law,even creating a thread aksing for help (which was widely ignored) sometimes you have to accept that no matter what you do ,your router is to blame for having a moderate or strict nat and no amount of tweaking is gonna change that. i have a belkin n1 router and boy is it **** for gaming

have you looked into whether you can change the firmware... or at least update it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭May Feign

yeah updated the firmware etc

May Feign wrote: »
    yeah updated the firmware etc

PM me your exact setup, router model, firmware version etc and I'll look into it tomorrow for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭May Feign

heres my last thread
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056086945

contains screenshots of my router settings
    ri93kk.jpg

my xbox (upstairs) is connected wirelessly to the router (downstairs)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gingerballs09

hi i have done all your steps and still my nat setting have not changed an other ideas that might work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi there,
    Ok can you tell me few things. How are you connecting? Wired or Wireless and what internet service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

howya lads did a few quick searches and scanned through this thread once or twice so hope im not repeating a question . now i have an xbox in my room . nat is open on it no bother and i dont have any connection issues out of the ordinary . brother has one in his room and its the same story everything runs fine .

except when there both on at the same time . for some reason the nat will switch from open to strict depending on which box was turned on first . either way i can only have one on at a time . we've been getting by for the last few weeks with it like this but it is getting to be a pain and if theres a solution id love to hear it

Hi Sierra, I presume your other console has NAT of open when the other is not playing yes? And what way does it connect-Using the dmz option or port forwarding? For me anyways you cannot use both in the DMZ option-only one.
    Have you tried one in DMZ and the other portforwarded?

Hi Sierra, I presume your other console has NAT of open when the other is not playing yes? And what way does it connect-Using the dmz option or port forwarding? For me anyways you cannot use both in the DMZ option-only one.
    Have you tried one in DMZ and the other portforwarded?
    well that didnt work :( any other ideas . on a side note his xbox now has a presedence over mine even though mine was the one in the dmz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

hi guys , my sons xbox has been conected using vodafone dongle for last 5-6 weeks no probs and this morn he tell me cant connect to xbox live because his nat sttings are moderate :confused: so just curious to know can this happen overnight or was he at setting thanks in advance

• Advertisement

sierra117x wrote: »
    well that didnt work :( any other ideas . on a side note his xbox now has a presedence over mine even though mine was the one in the dmz

Sorry I have only the one xbox so I dont know what else to try:(

Note: I know this might sound a bit annoying but have you tried to google the problem? If you pm your router details I will look into it tomorrow. I have to head out now

madred006 wrote: »
    hi guys , my sons xbox has been conected using vodafone dongle for last 5-6 weeks no probs and this morn he tell me cant connect to xbox live because his nat sttings are moderate :confused: so just curious to know can this happen overnight or was he at setting thanks in advance

He should be able to play online even if his settings are at moderate. Were they always at moderate do you know? I hear bad things about those dongles-they usually are not great at trying to maintain a steady stream of data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

He should be able to play online even if his settings are at moderate. Were they always at moderate do you know? I hear bad things about those dongles-they usually are not great at trying to maintain a steady stream of data.
    Hi Walshy thanks for your quick reply settings were never an issue till this morn and then it came up about moderate settings so should i go ahead and follow ur excellent titorial or wait and see if it comes back thanks

I used to get this problem with a different router firmware. Here's what worked for me (before changing the firmware). Have the main xbox (yours probably) set up with all the correct port forwarding, static IP etc. and have the other xbox automatically choosing it's network connection, no static IP and no port forwarded.

Then simply unplug your router for a minute and allow it to reboot it's firmware, then switch on your console and connect it to live and finally turn on and connect the other xbox. Both should have open NAT settings... or at least they did for me anyway. Unfortunately, this was required every time you wanted both consoles connected!

If it doesn't work for you and you go down the road of buying a new router, check the back of the router for a Windows Compatibility sticker. Vista or Win7 compatibility should have all the correct setting to have no problems with XBL.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hi All,

Any of ye using a Netgear DG834G wireless router and know how to open the NAT on it.

I had a go at mine, and had a nightmare with it.

Out of the box and enabling uPnP, it works fine with Moderate NAT on live.

But when I tried to get Open NAT on it, and started upgrading the firmware on it, it all went wrong, I couldn't connect to Live at all, it kept failing. I had to put back on the old firmware before it would work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 maherman

Thanks walshy excellent break down printed it out and i am going to give it ago when i go home thanks again

Ok lads in relation to Port's router I found out the follwing from a quick google:

"The only way I can get the Xbox 360 to play online games with the router (DG834G v4 by the way as I forgot to mention) is by switching the "Disable port scan and DOS protection" tab on in the WAN Setup page."

It has seemed to work for him but I do no fully understand the implications (if any) that it might have. Remember google will help you out a LOT!

Welcome to boards maherman, let us know how you get on.

If it doesn't work for you and you go down the road of buying a new router, check the back of the router for a Windows Compatibility sticker. Vista or Win7 compatibility should have all the correct setting to have no problems with XBL.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that.
    ooh baby what id give for a different router but UPC's broadband requires using there own router and only there router .

ooh baby what id give for a different router but UPC's broadband requires using there own router and only there router .
    They may say that but can't you use another one anyways or would they know?

They may say that but can't you use another one anyways or would they know?

Oh its a hardware issue the cable isn't a phone line connection it's similar to one used on a tv which only one router uses ...... The one they give you :( the most I can do is disable the wireless on it and bridge it with another router which doesnt solve the problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 e5211

Thanks bud :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This is driving me nuts, im using an eircom zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 and cant for the life of me get it to an open NAT with either ps3 or xbox, its connected via cable to my laptop which is then wi-fi'ed to my router, connects fine its only the NAT type i cant get to open, the ps3 connects directly wirelessly, same issue, help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

krudler wrote: »
    This is driving me nuts, im using an eircom zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 and cant for the life of me get it to an open NAT with either ps3 or xbox, its connected via cable to my laptop which is then wi-fi'ed to my router, connects fine its only the NAT type i cant get to open, the ps3 connects directly wirelessly, same issue, help!

You should try and get them to give you a standard broadband modem and get your own router. Any router that is Windows Vista or Windows 7 will give you open NAT even if you have more then one console connected. Thats what I was told so I got a Linksys router. Its been working perfect ever since.

PS
    If your connecting your own router to the Eircom router then you are entering a whole heap of pain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

got it :D did it in a few mins following this,worked first time

• Registered Users Posts: 29 UnderDawg2

I have set my NAT settings to Open. However since changing them, my profile does not sign into xbox live automatically. I have to sign out, run the test for checking xbox live, then I can sign in. No changes where made to the console settings.

Any ideas???

Cheers

Dawg.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 UnderDawg2

Was looking at the network settings last night when it dawned on me that the DNS servers had not been set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Cheers for a useful guide! Can I ask if most people went with the easier DMZ option (me anyway) or went the extra mile for better security? I feel as if the xbox is immune to security concerns considering nothing sensitive on it.

@ Underdawg-sorry only saw your post now. It is sorted?

@ Cheers Tommy. Not sure what option people used when trying to sort it out. I personally went for the dmz option since I find that it is easier. The xbox live network can be considered a closed,internal network so I don't think it will ever be hacked and therefore I would consider it safe to use dmz but whatever option you use it doesn't matter once you get your NAT to be open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Nice guide!

I can't find an option to enable UPnP anywhere though, Vodafone.

• Advertisement

It might not matter if you can't find upnp or adjust it. Have you either the port forwarding option or dmz? You should try those and see if it would still work!

Advertisement