Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutorial: Changing NAT from Strict/Moderate to Open.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

It might not matter if you can't find upnp or adjust it. Have you either the port forwarding option or dmz? You should try those and see if it would still work!

Yeah, it worked fine with the DMZ. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Anyone using O2 broadband? Any problems? Mine works fine with the PS3 but would like to get an Xbox and connect with O2 through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tricolorbob1987

thanks mate good guide ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Hi, I hope someone here can help me!
    Had to get a new router (Belkin N150 f6d4630), set it up online no problems.

I had it UPnP enabled and so my nat type said it was open. I got on XBL fine but then I couldn't join any partys/chats or play online with mates (none of which have strict connections).

If disable the UPnP or try combine it with opening the ports or the DMZ or use them by themselves it just puts me back to strict connection. I feel like I've tried every combination and i end up either back on strict nat type or unable to interact with others.

Anyone any advice??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Hi, I hope someone here can help me!
    Had to get a new router (Belkin N150 f6d4630), set it up online no problems.

I had it UPnP enabled and so my nat type said it was open. I got on XBL fine but then I couldn't join any partys/chats or play online with mates (none of which have strict connections).

If disable the UPnP or try combine it with opening the ports or the DMZ or use them by themselves it just puts me back to strict connection. I feel like I've tried every combination and i end up either back on strict nat type or unable to interact with others.

Anyone any advice??

As a matter of interest, is that router Vista or Win7 certified?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

As a matter of interest, is that router Vista or Win7 certified?

It says it'll work for windows 2000, xp and vista
    This is the router if it helps?
    http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=492429

I'd start from scratch and reset the router to default settings again. Issue each xbox with a static IP address, manually set the network config in each xbox then turn them off, then open the specific ports for your xboxes in the router, save the settings, restart your router after a 60 second power cycle and then turn on your xboxes.

See what happens and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lads, I'm going mental here. I have a LinkSys E3000, but I'm having mad problems. I've tried the following:
    • Port range forwarding, from port 53 to 3074, to the IP of my xbox. My understanding is that it opens all ports in that range. Moderate NAT.
    • Single port forwarding, 53, 80, 88, 3074 (all both UPD & TCP - and the ports it says to open on portfoward.com), to the IP of my xbox. Moderate NAT.
    • DMZ, putting the IP of my Xbox in the DMZ. Moderate NAT.
    • DMZ, putting the MAC address of my Xbox in the DMZ. Moderate NAT.
    I've no idea why none of the above work? I've also set the QoS to give my Xbox high priority (it is another option under Gaming & Applications alongside Port range forwarding, port forwarding, DMZ), so I doubt that is working either.

The only thing that gives me open NAT is if i have uPnP enabled (none of the above have any effect at all), but the connection is very dodgy. Voice chat is choppy, bit of lag in game, even when I'm the only one using an 8Mb connection (it was fine on a basic netgear router before, when no one else was on, but now I can't even get that far). I believe it should work without uPnP and with the above options I've set? :confused:

I bought an E3000 recently and find it brilliant.

I've never had to do anything other than turn on the uPnP. I have three consoles connected around the house and they all have open NAT (as long as the network settingson the consoles are set to AUTOMATIC).

Try resetting the router and consoles back to default settings and turn on uPnP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Profondo Rosso

I use an O2 dongle and I get an Open NAT all the time. Am I cool or what?

• Advertisement

I use an O2 dongle and I get an Open NAT all the time. Am I cool or what?

You'd be a lot cooler if your post actually helped Rooney10 out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Profondo Rosso

You'd be a lot cooler if your post actually helped Rooney10 out ;)

Maybe he'll switch to O2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I bought an E3000 recently and find it brilliant.

I've never had to do anything other than turn on the uPnP. I have three consoles connected around the house and they all have open NAT (as long as the network settingson the consoles are set to AUTOMATIC).

Try resetting the router and consoles back to default settings and turn on uPnP.

Yep, I was giving a static IP to the Xbox with uPnP enabled, but I changed it to automatic and that gives me open NAT, but it seems much more laggy than with the old basic netgear router, which I can't explain (I never had voice chat break up on me before). Thats why I'd like to try to use port forwarding instead (I don't know a lot about uPnP, seems to dynamically open ports that a device says its listening on?).

I guess I'd like to understand why the port forwarding/DMZ stuff doesn't seem to work. With uPnP disabled, you should (I think!), still get open NAT.

Because, if the port forwarding stuff isn't working properly, I'd say my QoS rules aren't working either. (It's hard to test this conclusively, but swapping two devices, from high to low and vice-versa) had zero effect when I tried.
    Maybe he'll switch to O2 wink.gif

Had an O2 modem before, open NAT but awful speeds. Hopefully its faster wherever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

If you're on Eircom, have you tried PPoE ? I was able to get Open NAT on Xbox Live for a few days using the Port forwarding method, but suddenly one day it couldn't connect to Xbox Live at all. Changed my static IP and did all the port forward stuff again, also tried DMZ but none of them worked. So just tried PPoE and I've been on Open NAT ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ok, here's my problem.

I have two routers; The old one is a Netopia (I think) It's gray/silver from Eircom. This router has an Open NAT on Xbox Live but it does not let me stream videos from my PC to the Xbox.

Eircom sent me a new router (No idea why). This one is a ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3. It's black all over. This one has a Moderate NAT setting but allows me to stream from the PC to the 360.

How can I either A; Get the old gray router to stream between PC and 360 or B; Open the NAT on the new black router? I've tried to follow the steps in the Op but the User CP for this router does not seem to allow me to choose the port type to foward. Both routers currently have the firewall on Low and UnUP enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

You try giving the xbox a static ip and putting the ip address in the routers DMZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

Hi guys, I have tried everything to try and get my router/modem to set to open NAT setting. It doesn't simply have a easy way of doing it like other routers.

Router is Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2 on Perlico but its now Vodafone, and it's connected by Ethernet to the Xbox.

I followed the portforwarding.com guide.

I have reset the router/modem to factory settings, created a static address for Xbox ,opened ports 80,88,53,3074,3330 and turned off the active firewall setting and enabled UpnP.

anything else I'm missing??

I don't know what to do now, should I just get a new Router/modem or would one of those wireless adapters do the job straight away or does that need the ports forwarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Works for him, let me know how you get on and if you have trouble i'll try find out more for ya:D

Works for him, let me know how you get on and if you have trouble i'll try find out more for ya:D

Yes I found that video as well, did everything and still on strict.

The only thing that might be a problem is the DNS setting I rang vodafone and asked them for the setting and I think he gave me the wrong ones 'cus an error came up saying they weren't the right ones. So I just put in 192.168.1.1 and the other google one 8.8.4.4 instead as the primary and secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Have you rang the ISP and got your password and stuff etc?

I have also found this, take your time with it and follow the instructions exactly
    (from:http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/27815-17-zyxel-660hw-port-fowarding)

You need to set up the port forwarding and then you can select those ports in the firewall section. After much playing around with this router I got the PS3, Xbox360 and wii to work. Its a fantastic router once set up and configured, its increased my synch speed and through put from 2.0mb to 3.5mb, compared to my previous Netgear routers, which I tried DG834G, DG834GT and DG834PN.

SO TO SET UP - PS3, XBOX360
    Set up static routes, in the Network, LAN, Client List, select ADD. Enter the MAC code of the PS3/Xbox360 and the reserved IP address. Note this down, you'll need it again.

You need to switch on UPnP in the settings. So go to Advanced, UPnP. Ensure all three boxes are ticked.

Then go to Network, NAT. Activate NAT. Select SUA. Enable SIP also.
    Now click Port Forwarding, click add and list all the following put in the server IP of the router.
    For the PS3 and Xbox360 you need port 80
    Xbox360 only - 80, 88, 53, 3074, 3330
    PS3 only - 80, 443, 5223, 3478 to 3479, 3658 to 3659, 10070 to 10080
    You must click apply!

Now go to Security, Firewall. Ensure under General than LAN to WAN is set to permit.
    In the Rules tab, for Packet Direction select WAN to LAN. Click Add.
    Create a rule separately for the PS3/Xbox, as they will have seperate internal IPs. Lets do the PS3 first.
    Enable the rule, leave source as any. In destination put the relevant IP address of the PS3 which was noted down previously.
    In services select all the relevant ports you created for the PS3 in the NAT section. Make sure applied every day and select apply.

Now rinse and repeat if necessary for the Xbox360, of the step above.

NOW EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE COMPLETED PORT FORWARDING AND FIREWALL RULES, PLUS ENABLED THEM. THEY WILL NOT WORK UNTIL YOU POWER CYCLE THE ROUTER. SWITCH OFF THE ROUTER AT THE MAINS POWER FOR 30SEC THEN SWITCH BACK ON.

Hey presto the PS3 and Xbox360 will work like a dream, the PS3 will be NAT Type II and the Xbox360 NAT should be Open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fishsticks

@MagicIRL moikey got his ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3 working. Here is the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056368414

fishsticks wrote: »
    @MagicIRL moikey got his ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3 working. Here is the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056368414

Yes thanks to Fishsticks:)

If on your Xbox you have already entered some information in the additional settings of the network settings on the Xbox (without confirming with ISP you need these settings), reset to factory defaults, turn off console, remove cable and restart console with cable in.

This is what worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Hi, I followed your guide to the letter yet the router won't accept the changed settings. I go to save and restart and it says "ERROR:
    Pinhole element Xbox Live 1 has conflict with internal
    Web-TCP service 80,
    Either change pinhole port or redirect Web Port.
    Validation did not pass!
    "

I have no idea on how to remedy this. I'm currently on a wireless connection and my router model is a Motorola Netopia Model 2247-62.

On a related side note, hopefully soon I'll have a wired connection which will involve drilling through a wall to get at the router. Will this have any effect on NAT settings? Will the connection be more stable than usual and will I still get signed out of XBL after a certain period of time(lease time or something?)?

It's a great guide by the way, I just happen to have a crappy router.

Thanks!:D

"ERROR:
    Pinhole element Xbox Live 1 has conflict with internal
    Web-TCP service 80,
    Either change pinhole port or redirect Web Port.
    Validation did not pass!
    "

The error is telling you the Port TCP 80 is already open through another rule. You do not need to define it again.

The cabled connection will give you a more stable connection. If you keep getting signed out and the ports are all open it may be due to MTU settings. You need the MTU settings to at least 1364

The error is telling you the Port TCP 80 is already open through another rule. You do not need to define it again.

The cabled connection will give you a more stable connection. If you keep getting signed out and the ports are all open it may be due to MTU settings. You need the MTU settings to at least 1364
    Okay, so do I just delete that port and leave the six others alone?
    I'm seriously at a loss here.

If I have a wired connection, does that not render all that MTU stuff irrelevant? As in, it only applies to wireless connections?

Yes so all you need to add in is these ports:
    UDP 88
    TCP 88
    UDP 3074
    TCP 3074
    UDP 53
    TCP 53

The wired connection should be above the required amount yes
    Nearly all IP over Ethernet implementations use the Ethernet V2 frame format.
    Which means it will be either 1492 or 1500 via Ethernet.

The MTU should be set for your wireless connection which should stop the automatic signing out until you get your wired connection.

Yes so all you need to add in is these ports:

The wired connection should be above the required amount yes

Which means it will be either 1492 or 1500 via Ethernet.

The MTU should be set for your wireless connection which should stop the automatic signing out until you get your wired connection.

Grand, Validation was passed so thanks for that.
    Although I can't find MTU settings anywhere. I know what you're talking about since I changed them on my last router but it's not apparent where it is on this router.

Any ideas?

Not every router will have an option for MTU, sometimes the ISP will be in control of it but there is a thread on boards about telnet-ing into the router and changing the MTU that way.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056188754

Alright I found something labelled "MRU" and it's currently set to 1492.

Could this be it? If so, what's the highest I can set it to? 4024 IIRC?
    Thanks for all this help by the way.;)

• Advertisement

MTU = Maximum Transmission Unit
    MRU = Maximum Receive Unit

This is the first time I've heard of MRU to be honest with you and by the looks of the name it seems to be the complete opposite so I would not recommend modifying the value.

In relation too
    4024 IIRC?
    I'll also add a ? :rolleyes:

Advertisement