Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutorial: Changing NAT from Strict/Moderate to Open.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Hi there.

I'm having a problem with Step 2.

Since I'm with BBNet I technically don't have a router, so when I type the Default Gateway into a browser it doesn't do anything ("cannot display the webpage" etc.). The Internet adapter I've got is the following:

http://www.irishwireless.net/291-irish-wireless-18v-power-supply-with-built-in-poe.html

irish-wireless-18v-power-supply-with-built-in-poe.jpg
    irish-wireless-18v-power-supply-with-built-in-poe.jpg

And this is the issue that's come up on my Xbox:

3a56a1e6054511e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

Is there anybody else here with BBnet that's had the same issue, or can suggest a way for me to handle this before I resort to calling my ISP?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Got as far as the ports forwarding stage, entered in the details on the first screen then I get the Message "Error,Global port Range overlaps with Xbox live 360"

Am I missing something?

Also,I have being playing online for the last 2 years and not a problem until today where it is unplayable, and I cant seem to join friends parties or games they are in. Battlefield 3 I am playing.

Edit: Think I may have sorted it, found Xbox live 360 in the drop box as a service already there, I enabled that. It has the same details as if I was putting it in manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Still unplayable :(

going to move the modem closer to the xbox,see if that makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alixolson

Here is wp popup plugins...>>>> popup plugin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

HI HI.

I used this guide a good while ago to set up my OPEN NAT, worked a treat.

Now, as of the new Dashboard update yesterday, my NAT is now set to Moderate.

Anyone else have the same issue?

None of my manual settings on the xbox have changed, they are all still intact, and the router settings have not changed either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Got into a spot of bother following this guide, all was fine and dandy until I went into the portforward process.

It told me with the Netopia 2247-02 I would need to set up a static IP, so I did, when I went to go back on the internet the connection on my pc was down completely for about 10 minutes, my internet connection wouldn't work at all on my pc but it would work fine on my iPhone.

I needed the pc in action to get this done so I switched back to a dynamic IP.

After this point I realised that the pinhole procedure on portforwards version of the netopia homepage was similar to the Custom Services procedure on my router homepage (Eircom Version).

Firstly, will I need the static IP for properly portforwarding or will it work fine if I do the portforwarding through the Eircom Router Homepage?

Secondly, for the list of ports on the OP do I need to add a custom service for each one? And if so, do I just use the same number for start/end of range?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fishsticks

@PJTierney... I have never come across that, did you ISP provide you with it? Since its not configurable as you say, the setup must be on your ISP side. I'd say you would have to call them.

But seriously when you go to cmd and type ipconfig and you get the default gateway, it says "cannot display the webpage"?

@Local-womanizer... Let us know if you need any further assistance.

@Mr Freeze... when you run the Xbox Live Test Connection does it provide any warning signs or just show as if it ran successfully. If is like a hazard sign you should be able to select "More Info" Tell us as much info as possible to help you out.

@curry-muff... that info at the start where you need a static IP, the static IP would be from the Xbox so you can assign the open ports to the static IP on the Xbox console. It will work fine with a dynamic IP on your PC.

Yes as per the following link, the start and end are always the same and so is the internal port. The static IP as mentioned above is used in the Internal IP section so it associates with your Xbox consoles IP if you set it up to be static.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247-02/Xbox_Live_360.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Sorry for being so stupid here but how do I assign my xbox a static ip?

I've already went ahead and opened all the ports on the router homepage, will I need to do these again when I assign the Xbox a static ip?

I have my xbox finding the addresses automatically at the minute, guessing it'll only work with the settings I wrote down from the OP yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

curry-muff wrote: »
    Sorry for being so stupid here but how do I assign my xbox a static ip?

I've already went ahead and opened all the ports on the router homepage, will I need to do these again when I assign the Xbox a static ip?

I have my xbox finding the addresses automatically at the minute, guessing it'll only work with the settings I wrote down from the OP yeah?

Step 4:
    For this step, go on to your xbox. While on "My xbox" blade navigate over to the system settings tab. Select by pressing A button and move down to "Network settings". Select "Configure Network" and press A. There should be two options-Automatic and Manual. Select Manual. Press A to edit your settings.
    For I.P address, enter an address within your DHCP server range found within step 3- It should be something like 192.168.x.yy and note the address you have entered for later on(Very Important).
    For subnet mask, enter the address found in step1, usually 255.255.255.0
    For default, gateway enter the address that you typed into your browser and found in step1 and exit out.
    There will also be the option to edit your DNS settings on the same tab. Select manual and enter the the default gateway address you found as your primary DNS server. Enter 8.8.4.4 as secondary address-This is Googles DNS server ( Not as important as primary however) and your done on the xbox for the moment.

What you can do is see what IP Address your xbox is currently using in the Network Settings page and assign that manually to the xbox - that way you know this IP address is available. Assigning manally means that the Xbox will always use this IP address instead of changing every time it connects to the network.

I have a question. I bought a new Xbox Slim. My housemate has an older xbox with which he uses a wired connection to the Thomson router (UPC Internet) and Xbox Live works perfect without any configuration performed on the router. With my new Xbox slim, its in another room so I'd like to use the inbuilt wireless. It worked ok for the first day, then the connection started going bad, just getting interrupted every now and again and been forced out of games. The Xbox live test connection was perfect the first evening I got it, now its telling me it connects but with strict NAT and like I said disconnects quite often. Should I just assume that the wireless connection isn't good enough? Is there any reason related to NAT why my housemate's wired connection would work perfectly but the wireless one wouldn't. Surely if his works without messing around with NAT then mine should also? Or is a wireless connection a different story?

Also, would messing around with the port forwarding affect the other xbox, if I just put my own xbox ip address in the port forwarding box?

I will test the new xbox with a wired connection soon.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

I had to change my NAT from strict to open about a month ago. It auto changed to moderate about 2 weeks ago and now today its gone back to strict. I have a netopia router and im with vodafone.

Anyone know how to get it back to open? Nothing in my settings has reset or anything since i changed it to open a month ago so i cant go back and do what i did then to get it to open.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭EEm

When I run the cdm program, there's no number for the default gateway, just : : :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Can someone tell me how to turn on DHCP? Please?

I've followed the steps but it's not working.

Anybody? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

Is there anyway I could get/pay someone to do this for me. I have a netgear router and have Eircom.PLEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

It seems to be very quiet around here, anyway I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if I can get an open NAT on my meteor huawai hotspot :confused:

ANYBODY???

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I was so frustrated with this. I hade the standard eircom jobbie router and it drove me up the wall.

I went off and brought a different router and have had no problems loggig on and have open nat all the time. Even the wifi on my phone has stopped dropping off, which happended every 10 minutes at home with the eircom router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

ShaunC wrote: »
    It seems to be very quiet around here, anyway I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if I can get an open NAT on my meteor huawai hotspot :confused:

Did you find a solution to this?

No. Afraid not, maybe the rumours are correct and it can't be done:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I could be wrong but I don't believe it's possible to edit NAT's on MiFi devices :\

Huawei do some 3g routers that can work well and ports can be open and closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

ShaunC wrote: »
    No. Afraid not, maybe the rumours are correct and it can't be done:(

Well my advice is to set everything up like in the OP then just spam the test connection on the dashboard, it'll eventually open and stay open until you turn off the xbox. Works for me :P time consuming but meant playing online wasn't extremely painful.

Switching to UPC now though so hopefully won't have the same issues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just came across this post now, but can I ask: signed up my 10yr old for xBox Live and that went relatively smoothly. Then, there was an offer (in October iirc) to try xBox Live Gold for a weekend for free, so I signed up for that. That was painless too.

Once the trial offer ended I decided I'd sign up for Gold and pay automatically, and this went through. But, since that, although he can sign in to Gold, we can't get functions to work: he can't invite others, he can't receive invites, he can't join other games and he can't create 'parties' etc. He can communicate with them by text on the console, yes, but that's it.

We haven't changed a single thing in settings - only by coincidence did I find this post, and tbh, I've done everything bar the DMZ thing. I'm struggling to understand what has changed that it worked seamlessly when we were on the trial, but not that on a pay-per-month, it doesn't work ?

I did a reset of the console last night, and it re-connected to Live fine, and signed him in - but that's about all it does.

Before I fubar anything, I'm just looking for any advice.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dubaicentral

Could be to do with privacy controls on your sons account or something else like the subscription being on another account (but not likely) or of course it could be a nat issue if he is being kicked from games and having trouble joining games.

Either way give support a call and they should sort it for you. Free from a land line as far as I know.

Contact details copied from the site below.

Call us directly:

Monday-Friday: 10:00-18:00
    Saturday: closed
    Sunday: closed
    Phone numbers

(01) 2420758 or 1 800 509 186
    Hearing Impaired (TTY device): 1800 509197
    Please note that if you call us using a mobile phone, there may be additional charges from your service provider. Please contact your service provider for more information

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

galwaytt wrote: »
    Just came across this post now, but can I ask: signed up my 10yr old for xBox Live and that went relatively smoothly. Then, there was an offer (in October iirc) to try xBox Live Gold for a weekend for free, so I signed up for that. That was painless too.

Once the trial offer ended I decided I'd sign up for Gold and pay automatically, and this went through. But, since that, although he can sign in to Gold, we can't get functions to work: he can't invite others, he can't receive invites, he can't join other games and he can't create 'parties' etc. He can communicate with them by text on the console, yes, but that's it.

We haven't changed a single thing in settings - only by coincidence did I find this post, and tbh, I've done everything bar the DMZ thing. I'm struggling to understand what has changed that it worked seamlessly when we were on the trial, but not that on a pay-per-month, it doesn't work ?

I did a reset of the console last night, and it re-connected to Live fine, and signed him in - but that's about all it does.

Before I fubar anything, I'm just looking for any advice.

Can he play online in any game or is it just joining others thats the problem?

Could be to do with privacy controls on your sons account or something else like the subscription being on another account (but not likely) or of course it could be a nat issue if he is being kicked from games and having trouble joining games.

Either way give support a call and they should sort it for you. Free from a land line as far as I know.

Call us directly:

Phone numbers

Please note that if you call us using a mobile phone, there may be additional charges from your service provider. Please contact your service provider for more information

Tks - will try that. Trying to get home to ring them by 18:00....not that's a whole other ball game.......... :)

I have changed his permissions to 'teen', and I do have to approve all his friend requests etc, so we are def seeing a connection to Live.
    Can he play online in any game or is it just joining others thats the problem?

D'you what -I'll go home this eve and try to get down on paper exactly what he can/can't do, and come back here.

Tks for ye're help guys :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

good man, it sounds like he doesn't have full access to live - like its a silver membership or something.

good man, it sounds like he doesn't have full access to live - like its a silver membership or something.

you had me wondering there, so just checked: nope, def Gold - screenshot of a/c attached :)

Ode To The Motorist

Call us directly:

Phone numbers

did that, and a US number rang me back within....2 minutes ? Very good.

He told me that I have to change him to 'adult' on the console to resolve this. I'll try it, but it doesn't make any sense to me tbh.

I mean, what is the point of 'allowing' certain things to a (child) using permissions, if they actually don't work ? Or, put it another way, if you want functionality, you can't be a 'child' on the console ?

Make sense ?

I have determined that one of his classmates he wants to talk to is indeed set up as 'adult' on his console. So, is there an issue with non peers connecting - i.e., a 'child' can't connect to an 'adult' (and vice-versa) ? That only child-child, teen-teen or adult-adult is the way it works ?

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement