Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe and Pedal Recommendations....

Options
  • 11-09-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Well this week I ventured into the world of looking to invest in cycling shoes/pedals, and it seems to be a complicated world!:eek: I have one of these yokes and have been told using runners is probably not the best if I'm going to be doing a fair bit of cycling at the weekends! Had a look today in the likes of Snow+Rock, Wheelworx, Cycle Superstore, and it would appear that the price of any shoe + pedal combination is € 130+ in most of those places. Have been looking online on Wiggle and wondering if anyone else has bought entry level stuff from there? I'm wondering what the following combination would be like:

Correct me if I'm completely wrong, but it would appear that these (MTB shoes) make more sense than these (road shoes) for a beginner because I get the impression that for a non-too-serious cyclist the MTB shoes let you walk around in them easier when taking a break with the rubber o nthe soles - am I right in saying that?

Then on pedals sure I barely know where to start! Again it seems there's a choice of MTB pedals, road pedals and pedals that do a bit of everything. I'm wondering if something like these makes most sense as they'd allow you to cycle with or without the fancy bike shoes. Or does that drive people mad trying to find the right side for clipping in!?

Has anyone had experience with any of those products? I assume as they both say SPD that they're compatible? Would something like these make more sense? I must say it's a complicated sport to a new-comer, and don't even get me start on this whole thing about the left pedal screw being the wrong way around etc!!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I got a pair of these and a pair of these for about €80 last year. I wouldn't bother with the single-sided versions as the clip-in clip-out is so easy and it's the work of moments to slip on the bike shoes (or indeed, sandals)

The SPD shoes beat the SPD SL road shoes hands down for off-the-bike walkability but apparently the road pedals offer a bit more foot stability than the MTB ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Nice one thanks for the reply! I see Wiggle have those M520's as well and they get great reviews there plus are compatible with the M1 Wiggle Shoes. I guess my only thought was that sometimes you might just want to hop on the bike to go somewhere and not want to be stuck wearing cycling shoes at the other end of your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Not sure if you're further ahead than I am, but I had this and this bookmarked which really explained the concept of pedals and shoes clearly and concisely to me. It doesn't however tell you what brand to get, and like I'm loathe to start buying online without some recommedations. I have a very wide foot, so I think I'm better off buying from the lbs for my first set and hang the extra expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm fairly wide footed (comes of living in Birkenstocks) and found the cycling shoes/sandals a bit tight to start with. Got used to them though...

Advertisement