Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless printing

• 11-09-2010 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Looking for ideas on why....

At work I have a Wireless jetdirect box (HP ew2500)... its connected to the LAN ok, via an AP.
    I can Ping, Telnet, browse to and print to the Jetdirect box and attached printer.... and here the weird bit, only from a wireless computer (comms is via the wired backbone).
    A wired computer... I can only ping the Jetdirect box (im even a little suspicious that this is not 100% of the time). Telnet and browsing fail, printing also.
    A print server with a pre existant queue sees the printer as being offline.

so in short, wireless its groovy, wired nope.

Could it be incorrect speed/flow? Full or Half Duplex?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

It sounds like a networking issue. How are the wired and the wireless networks connected together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TheDuderino

bhickey wrote: »
    It sounds like a networking issue. How are the wired and the wireless networks connected together?

wireless device to AP, AP wired back to Switch... etc etc

Doesnt make much sense, except on the speed front. Wireless is half duplex... isnt it?!
    If a wired pc was talking full duplex when trying to Comm with the jetdirect....

wireless device to AP, AP wired back to Switch... etc etc

More questions I'm afraid :

How is the AP wired to the switch - from its WAN port, LAN port? If from a LAN port then is the wireless access point also the DHCP server and the default gateway for all the wired clients as well? Are all devices on the same subnet and are you using static IP's on anything?

More questions I'm afraid :

How is the AP wired to the switch - from its WAN port, LAN port? If from a LAN port then is the wireless access point also the DHCP server and the default gateway for all the wired clients as well? Are all devices on the same subnet and are you using static IP's on anything?

AP to LAN port. Nope the AP is not the DHCP server. Same subnet. Ive set the jetdirect with a static IP. No IP conflict.

To my mind it boils down to, whats different tween a wired and a wireless machine, that does the connecting to it.

There is hardly a tick box on the jetdirect, Only Allow Comms to Wireless Clients

Ive set the jetdirect with a static IP. No IP conflict.

Okay but are the Jetdirect's IP settings all exactly as they would have been if it had got its IP via DHCP like all the other devices?

To my mind it boils down to, whats different tween a wired and a wireless machine, that does the connecting to it.

My thought exactly. For a wired and wireless computer does 'ipconfig /all' show any differences whatsoever in the IP configs?

• Advertisement

Okay but are the Jetdirect's IP settings all exactly as they would have been if it had got its IP via DHCP like all the other devices?

My thought exactly. For a wired and wireless computer does 'ipconfig /all' show any differences whatsoever in the IP configs?

Basically I let DHCP do the work... and I juct changed the IP and made it static.
    All setting are AOK.

The wire/less PCs all get their IP Configs from the DHCP server (router). All the "same".
    Now saying that, I havent actually done a comparison but im 99.9.....% sure they are ok. When I say all wired machines cant jive with the JD box, that also includes servers - print, file....

Which is why I recon speed/handshake (all else being equal), a wireless PC talks to a wireless JD Box, talk to each other the same - half duplex, what happens if a wired PC tries talking full duplex?

I tried changing speed/handshake, but the JD box didnt seem to wanna play ball.
    Im wondering if doing it via Telnet is an option.

But Im also thinking, I should look at the Switch, see if Auto Negotiate is set

From the manual:
    Change the LAN speed/handshake.
    This is only for switches that do not
    have auto negotiation mode set,
    Select from the following speeds/
    handshake: 10 Mbps. half-duplex, 10
    Mbps. full-duplex, 100 Mbps. halfduplex,
    or 100 Mbps. full-duplex.
    On the fifth press, hold the button down until the status light begins
    blinking, then release the button.
    Select from the following speed/handshake combinations (displayed
    three times):
    ● Blinking amber — 10 half-duplex
    ● Solid amber — 10 full-duplex
    ● Blinking green — 100 half-duplex
    ● Solid green — 100 full-duplex
    To select a speed/handshake:
    1. Press and release the test button when the color associated with
    the speed/handshake you want is displayed. (The test button
    turns off then displays the selected color.)
    2. If the speed is correct (indicated by the test button color), press
    and release the test button once to confirm.
    3. If the speed/handshake is not correct (indicated by the test
    button color), do not press the test button. The change is not
    made. You can then start over and change the speed/
    handshake.
    4. To complete (save) the change, power cycle the print server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

This sounds like a routing or NAT issue and not speed/duplex. Can you post:

a) Jetdirect box's IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway
    b) a wireless computer's IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway
    c) a wired computer's IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway

Snowbat wrote: »
    This sounds like a routing or NAT issue and not speed/duplex. Can you post:

a) Jetdirect box's IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway
    b) a wireless computer's IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway
    c) a wired computer's IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway

Cant really.
    But the same DHCP give out the IP config to all three - the JD box then assigned a static IP, we then keep all the other settings.

Also, Ive seen it work and fail on the same AP same wired PC.
    Both Wired and Wireless PCs can ping the JetDirect box, at all times. So I cant see it being a routing issue. Indeed a switch routing issue would affect both wired and wireless.

Wireless security has also been ruled out. Setup an SSID with no security - still failed on wired PCs

Advertisement