Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Blackpool actually stay up ?

• 11-09-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

After all the predictions, Blackpool sit in 4th place, after 4 games - three of which were away.

A salary cap of 10k a week in the richest league in the world, a team made up of rejects from other teams and most players would not be known to most even in Blackpool.

They play attacking football, in the right way and could quickly become everyones second team ( if not already ) and they also have one of the most down to earth managers in the game!

So, does anyone think they could stay up ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Id say they will do a "Hull", but they will go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

of course they can, but i dont think they will. the would need a massive amount of luck to stay up. they dont have a great squad and if a few lads get injured, they will struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Can Blackppol actually stay up ?

Thought the thread title was about black people holding erections or something. :P

They have came up with a fook it, lets have a go approach it seems which is refreshing as it shames at least half of the current league teams playing styles.34 points from 34 remaining games seems possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Replace Blackpool with Hull, Burnley etc.
    They could stay up but they'll be fighting until the very end to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I reckon they will comfortably.

Dunno why seem like a proper team paying for each other and Adam is a smashing player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Their first game against Wigan was a home game, just in the DW was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

baz2009 wrote: »
    Yeah nearly certain that counts as a home game for Blackpool.

Will they stay up, probably not. Not enough quality in the side, they have the right approach to the league which will see them scrapping till the end. The major challenge is how they will cope when they go on a run of losing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The question is whether there are three teams worse than Blackpool.

West Ham are definitely in that category, as are Wigan and possibly Stoke in my opinion.

If they can outperform those three, which I think they can, they could stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

baz2009 wrote: »

Whats the deal with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Too early to tell. Newly promoted teams often have a honeymoon period so to speak. Lets see how they handle some injuries to key players. This is essentially a team of players that were tipped for relegation last year in the Championship.

If they do stay up it'll be one of the all time great achievements, but if I'm to be honest I don't think they will. But they'll win many friends along the way and be patronised ad infinitum for their "bravery".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whats the deal with that?

The new stand at Bloomfield Road wasn't ready for the opening weekend so the F.A swapped around the Wigan/Blackpool matches so that Blackpool would play away first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The new stand at Bloomfield Road wasn't ready for the opening weekend so the F.A swapped around the Wigan/Blackpool matches so that Blackpool would play away first.

I dont think they did, fairly sure it counts as a Blackpool home game and the reverse fixture will be played in Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

bohsman wrote: »
    I dont think they did, fairly sure it counts as a Blackpool home game and the reverse fixture will be played in Wigan.

No, definitely was an away game.

Premier League website has Blackpool listed as only playing one game at home and it was a draw.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/LeagueTables/0,,12306,00.html

It was an away game for Blackpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

West ham and stoke won't go down IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

bohsman wrote: »

No, Blackpool's first game was at Wigan and it counted as an away win. Their game against Wigan on April 16th was meant to be in Wigan but the F.A switched it to Bloomfield Road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Injuries will be key to Blackpool survival for me, few of there players go down and ur looking at Ormerod as ur main striker possibly! Absolutely no depth to the squad. Would like to see them stay though, love Holloway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

hope they do, its a club steeped in history and its a fantastic town full-stop, can just imagine the craic up there on saturday nights when they welcome the likes of man utd and liverpool, the place will be even more buzzing than normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They have a great chance. They are exceeding expectations already. Charlie Adam and DJ Campbell are under-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

They have a great chance. They are exceeding expectations already. Charlie Adam and DJ Campbell are under-rated.

Anything bar losing all their games so far is exceeding expectations..

I think they'll still go down, but they've the right approach to the game, and indeed a refreshing manager in charge too..

Hope they do stay up, wanna see & hear some more of that bloke from 'Gornwall :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

36 points should be enough for survival this year. They already have 7 points, so that means they need 29 points from 32 remaining games.

Very, very doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

I think they will, always have

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No, I think they will lose it in the scrappy games against the experienced relegation battlers. Newcastle, for one, look like they'll stay up this time and West Brom are always 50:50 so they'll be depending on the likes of Wigan, Stoke and West Ham to slip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

d22ontour wrote: »
    Can Blackppol actually stay up ?

Thought the thread title was about black people holding erections or something. :P

They have came up with a fook it, lets have a go approach it seems which is refreshing as it shames at least half of the current league teams playing styles.34 points from 34 remaining games seems possible.

Hilarious!!! no really, actually hilarious! NOT!

I think they are just on a 'Burnley' early days adrenaline rush and its not as if Newcastle are in any great shakes either. I still have them to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Hilarious!!! no really, actually hilarious! NOT!

I think they are just on a 'Burnley' early days adrenaline rush and its not as if Newcastle are in any great shakes either. I still have them to go down.

saupload_calvinhobbscalmdown.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Fancy them to stay up.

Already taken points from their rivals away from home which is key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

of course they could stay up, but its pretty frickkin doubtful

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No, I think they will lose it in the scrappy games against the experienced relegation battlers. Newcastle, for one
    Cept they beat Newcastle away :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

They continue to surprise me. I was adamant they'd be doing a Derby County. I think it'll be close but they'll just come up short. West Ham are no hopers so at least they wont finish bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Can also see them "doing a Hull" and collapsing in the second half of the season or sooner. I don't think their squad is anywhere near good enough, and once the honeymoon ends they'll find themselves out of their depth soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I think it's almost certain they'll go 10 games without a win at some point, and we'll see how really good their team spirit is then. They absolutely collapsed against Arsenal when they fell behind.

If I was betting either way, I'd bet on them going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Their results so far simply indicate how bad the league is outside the top few sides.

Most people had them down as whipping boys, and they were when they played a good side. Other than that though they've held their own with a pretty poor squad.

More of a bad reflection on the supposed best league in the world than anything else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cept they beat Newcastle away :p

Yeah, ehm exactly, 'cause Newcastle are rubbish at relegation battles - they went down without a fight last time. I think they'll be safe by April. I will not put money on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

NO they are going down, its a banker :rolleyes:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055997949

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Yeah, ehm exactly, 'cause Newcastle are rubbish at relegation battles - they went down without a fight last time. I think they'll be safe by April. I will not put money on this.

If this were the case we'd have gone down more than once. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Blackpool are going down, we have seen this the past 2 seasons with Hull and Burnley getting off to fliers but crashing and burning after Xmas. They simply do not have the players to maintain their excellent start to the season. Atm they have 2 advantages - being under-estimated by the opposition and also having that fighting spirit in being in the PL for the first time. Once they go on a bit of a losing streak they could very well stay on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

teams will continue to underestimate them, but i reckon they will go down, though it will be a lot closer than many will have expected.

if they can rack up points early, they may just be able to scrape it, even though once the games come thick and fast, and injuries start to hit, they will suffer horribly.

i do hope they manage it though; it'd be a nice little story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They have a fantastic manager so I think there is every chance they stay up.

I rate Ian Holloway very highly and I think he is going to manage one of the bigger clubs in the next few years. I think they will stay up, in fact I think that at least 2 of the sides that came up last year will stay up.

There are a couple of younger managers right now who I think are very special. When Owen Coyle left Burnley last year they were 14th in the table but were in the bottom 3 by the end of the month. I firmly believe they would have stayed up had Coyle remained there.

I'm looking at who I can see go down and West Ham and Wigan stand out as major candidates for the drop this season. I'm not convinced by Newcastle either and that squad is basically the squad that went down two seasons ago minus Damien Duff, Michael Owen and Sebastien Bassong who left the summer they went down, and of course Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia who left in the January of that relegation year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Degag wrote: »
    Can also see them "doing a Hull" and collapsing in the second half of the season or sooner. I don't think their squad is anywhere near good enough, and once the honeymoon ends they'll find themselves out of their depth soon.

I'd love to see them confound all expectations but their lack of overall squad strength will surely be a problem as the season wears on. Unless Holloway can work some magic in January and pull off a couple of good loan signings or something like that? Bound to be a few unsettled players around by then who will be fed up warming the bench and in need of some first team football.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Their results so far simply indicate how bad the league is outside the top few sides

It's the same in the other top leagues though, the bottom 6 or 7 teams in Spain and Italy wouldn't be much cop either.

And in fairness I don't think the standard in the bottom half of the table is any worse than it ever was, it's just that the likes of United and Chelsea now have such vast wealth and such an amount of talent at their disposal that they're operating in a different universe to some of the teams in the same division. The big surprise is that some of the smaller clubs can compete at all.

Advertisement