Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine making final stage

Options
  • 11-09-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi

Just nearing the end of my first experiment with making wine at home and I used the Advintage Moments Merlot kit from Homebrewwest. I followed all the steps to the tee and made sure that everything was absolutely clean and sterile throughout the process.

On the last stage I degassed the wine using the drill powered degassing attachment, I did this for a good bit over about an hour and half assuming this would have taken all the gas out the wine. I left the wine in a cool dark place for a further 10 days and just went to check it today to see if I can bottle and straight away on tasting the wine I get a prickly sensation on the tongue as if there is still way to much gas in the wine.

I am not sure now what to do, can I degas again and then leave in the carboy again for a few more days or do I degas and bottle straight away. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

If I shake a glass of wine I get a gas release when I take my hand off it after doing this a couple of times and leave it to settle the wine actually tastes very good and smooth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Have you decided to do anything yet? There is no reason you can't degass it again but to be honest I would just bottle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

I degassed again but added 5 camden tablets to stop oxidisation, have bottled the wine and opened the first bottle tonight and for my first batch I have to say i'm really happy much better than most of the sub €10 bottles of wine you can get in supermarket :D

Goin to start my next batch of Cab Sauv over the weekend which should have me well stocked for the cold winter months on the way.

Advertisement