Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What db container to use for Windows Client app?

Options
  • 11-09-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what you think..

Say I want to build a windows client app that deals with data. What data container options do I have?

I prefer to avoid mdb's due to corruption
    I don't want to have to put Sql Server on the target machine

So what does that leave me with? If I dev an application in Visual Studio with Sql Server Express (SSE), can I deploy the app to a target machine without SSE?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

dnme wrote: »
    I was just wondering what you think..

Say I want to build a windows client app that deals with data. What data container options do I have?

I prefer to avoid mdb's due to corruption
    I don't want to have to put Sql Server on the target machine

So what does that leave me with? If I dev an application in Visual Studio with Sql Server Express (SSE), can I deploy the app to a target machine without SSE?

Well, the usual idea with databases is to have them running on a server somewhere, with clients connecting to them. The server could be local, but bear in mind that may present problems for other clients who need to share it.

If you simply want to embed a SQL database with your app on the other hand, either of SQLite (a very lightweight embedded database written in C, but with third-party .NET support) or SQL Sever Compact (a small, embedded version of the full SQL Server/SQL Server Express) should fit the bill;
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/compact.aspx
    http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/afenster/185/Default.aspx
    http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/

If you don't want to use a SQL-supporting relational database at all, you could roll your own data storage using text files with XML/CSV, a packed binary format of some sort etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

No I don't want to go down the standard client server route. What about scenarios where you're developing for domestic end users in the home. Take accounts packages like TAS Books for example. How do these apps handle data?

I know Sql Server compact runs on embedded devices, I have coded it on WinMo apps. But do you reckon it would be suitable for stand alone desktop apps ? Not sure I wanna install the compact framework on either my dev environment nor end users desktops.

Anyone else got any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

as far as i know if you not willing to install anything other than your app on the client pc then your left with what NeverSayDie said. Read/write to XML or CSV or your own format txt files.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

dnme wrote: »
    No I don't want to go down the standard client server route. What about scenarios where you're developing for domestic end users in the home. Take accounts packages like TAS Books for example. How do these apps handle data?
    I know Sql Server compact runs on embedded devices, I have coded it on WinMo apps. But do you reckon it would be suitable for stand alone desktop apps ? Not sure I wanna install the compact framework on either my dev environment nor end users desktops.

Apologies for the confusion, I meant "embedded" in the database sense of the word, where it refers having a DB packaged along with an application, instead of on a separate server - has nothing to do with the Compact Framework or embedded devices. SQLite or SQL Server Compact are specifically designed for use with standalone desktop apps.

No idea how TAS Books stores their data, but if not in a SQL DB, then probably in a custom file format of some sort, which as I mentioned, is your other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Many thanks folks, I guess Sql Server Compact is worth a try. Wonder how it fares with 1000's of records or even 10's of 1000's of records.

• Advertisement
Advertisement