Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

person begging on shop street today

Options
  • 11-09-2010 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

there was a person begging on shop street today, and I don't really know how to describe it, but from their knees down was bent forward. basically, imagine yourself kneeling on the ground, and your knees to your feet are the opposite direction, i.e. in front of you. I've have never seen anything like it, never even knew it was possible!! Anyone else see this person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

saw him a few times ,wouldnt give anything to him cos im thinking he is not a real begger, this topic was on here few months ago , he was mentioned . did you see a wheelchair with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah he's mentioned here before and also in AH (spotted in Dublin and a few other towns).

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Yeah, I've seen him a few times, outside the post office mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bloop

was he in portlaoise by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Phoney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

He gets around ...was in Henry st Dublin last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

think i fixed that now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Yep, does be down in Kilkenny the odd time. He's fair freaky.

pebbles21 wrote: »
    He gets around ...was in Henry st Dublin last week!
    he is a diferent guy to what i saw, oh crap he looks real enough. the guy im thinking of has a wheel chair with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

yeah he is normally begging on rosemary avenue would see him every day at lunchtime. My first Sat in town in ages and seen him making his way down shop street. Never saw him actually moving before today though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ah, Johnny Wronglegs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

On his Irish tour, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Saw her today outside Boots in shop street,then saw her 'walking' down past the Abbey while I was on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

He is part of the Roma gang that go around the country in groups. Some beg some rob and some solicit at night time and then rob the punter. Very aggressive and evil gang who will do anything to get your money. My advice is NEVER give them a penny. I know what and where this money goes to. These guys and girls are excellent deception artists. Granted this guy has a disability and it is genuine but he does not need your money. They are all THIEF's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Im pretty sure the person i saw down by the market with this handicap yesterday was a woman. So probably a different person.

No there are two of them - one female, one male.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Do a little search on Johnny Wronglegs here on boards and you'll find a good few threads on him/her, and also places he/she has been, which seems to including galway, Ennis, Dublin and the midlands..

Could this be brought to the Guards attention though?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm pretty sure the guards are acquainted with him/her.

But you can only really complain if there's a crime being committed.

Does it not constitute as fraud though? I mean if there is actually nothing wrong with them as such. I'm pretty curious about this

• Advertisement

Does it not constitute as fraud though? I mean if there is actually nothing wrong with them as such. I'm pretty curious about this
    sure the people are going to give them the money,no law in given is there? i should be in jail then cos i give to galway hospice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I don't think you have to have anything wrong with you to beg.

In 2007, the High Court struck out laws outlawing begging in public on the grounds that it interfered with the right to freedom of expression. Since then, gardai have been left powerless to deal with beggars. Figures for 2008 indicate that only 30 people were arrested on begging-related charges, and two convicted.

Legislation expected to be introduced before the New Year will see begging made an offence when accompanied by unacceptable behaviour such as harassment, obstruction or intimidation.

Begging itself will not be criminalised but gardai will have the power to move beggars away from ATMs, businesses and private homes. The offence will carry a maximum one-month prison sentence and fines of up to €400.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vast-majority-favour-tougher-begging-laws-2316059.html

I'm not sure what those 30 people did to be arrested, but it must have been major enough seeing as they're currently allowed to beg more-or-less without limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Seen him in McDonalds on shop street yesterday. My 4 year old said "look mum that man can turn his legs around.............. thats so cool" .........eh i think not! lol..

I don't think you have to have anything wrong with you to beg.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vast-majority-favour-tougher-begging-laws-2316059.html

I'm not sure what those 30 people did to be arrested, but it must have been major enough seeing as they're currently allowed to beg more-or-less without limitation.

I'd be more curious as to what the two that got convicted had done!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Lol. I think we should have a 'Boards.ie Galway City Forum IBTL Characters of Galway Festival' It would definitely be up there with the Latin Quarter one B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well I guess you could sue for fraud, but you'd have to prove a few things that could be tricky. And he may not have much cash to pay the fine etc - it may not be worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Probably 'Johnny Wronglegs'
    Be wary if you see him, he's not only begging but used as a distraction tactic by people who'd pick your pockets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

ah legs:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

He's not begging, he's busking

• Advertisement
Advertisement