Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel disruption All-Ireland Sunday - Protest planned

Options
  • 11-09-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Hi, just spotted this article, if you are traveling up to the match factor it in:

http://www.hoganstand.com/cork/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=135323
    Croke Park residents to stage All-Ireland final protest
    11 September 2010

Angry residents in the vicinity of Croke Park will stage a protest convoy on the main Dublin-Cork Road on the morning of next Sunday's All-Ireland football final.

The protest, which will start at 8am and will involve 60 vehicles travelling in convoy from Portlaoise back up to Croke Park, has the potential to inconvenience Cork fans travelling to the game.

The protest is the latest move by residents who are furious with the GAA's plans to press head with the €9 million redevelopment of the handball and community centre beside Croke Park, despite their consistent objections. Local residents are reportedly dismayed that they will be losing a centre which they say has been a hub for the community for over 30 years and of which the GAA has acted as trustees.

"We are not out to inconvenience the ordinary decent GAA person travelling to the game which is why we are letting people know in advance but we have been left with no other option," said Croke Park Streets Committee chairman Eamon O'Brien, who is a native of Tipperary.

"You might ask why we are concentrating on the Cork road and not the Down (M1) one. "Well, the president of the GAA is from Cork and he has consistently ignored us. That is why."

O'Brien added that the residents had been "treated like fools and trampled on".

GAA spokesman Alan Milton responded to the residents' plans by saying: "At the end of the day, the GAA are making a €9m investment on this project and it will generate 150 jobs in the inner city if it gets the go-ahead.

"Handball is a very important part of the association for us and one that offers us an international outlet and we are looking to bring the standard of the facilities in line with others around the country."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mm I wonder will some of supporters support this I hope they will. It is a shame if they knock some of the commuinity I suppose game areas in aid of a big commerical place. In fairness the communitys around areas like this put up with a lot when big matches are going on, I think it is important not to forget them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

Milly33 wrote: »
    mm I wonder will some of supporters support this I hope they will. It is a shame if they knock some of the commuinity I suppose game areas in aid of a big commerical place. In fairness the communitys around areas like this put up with a lot when big matches are going on, I think it is important not to forget them.

You are joking right....I can't see how this will win them any favour with the GAA, it doesn't affect the GAA, tickets are already paid for, all it serves to do is just piss off Cork fans. What a well thought out protest.....:mad:.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkinTex

Well, there's always the train ^_^

As for those protestors....well....as much as the article provides, it's Redevelopment, not Removal. Sounds to me like you're getting a new clubhouse, so what's the complaining about?

Also, having a small parade of disapproval has never changed any multimillion decision. The chances you will actually hinder the guy which has any influence is quite slim, and the only people suffering are the ordinary decent GAA persons.

A bad way to utter your frustration if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

its nearly all motorway from portlaoise, so if they want to drive it legally they should all be in the left lane unless they are overtaking, otherwise they can get a penalty point for not keeping to the left:)
    so if they drive up blocking the motorway there breaking the law aswell!

it is a silly way to go about the protest, and as mentioned by bigsuzi12 it wont affect the gaa at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Ridiculous way of protesting, all this will do is annoy the Cork fans, it will have no affect on the GAA's decision to redevelop that new centre.

We got caught up in a motor protest in France last year, it took us 4 hours to drive 10 kms, I hope this Sunday isn't as bad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

bladebrew wrote: »
    its nearly all motorway from portlaoise, so if they want to drive it legally they should all be in the left lane unless they are overtaking, otherwise they can get a penalty point for not keeping to the left:)
    so if they drive up blocking the motorway there breaking the law aswell!

it is a silly way to go about the protest, and as mentioned by bigsuzi12 it wont affect the gaa at all!!

Chances of Gardai actually doing their job and issuing any points... Very slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I'll be traveling down from Down anyway :D

I'd hope it wouldn't cause too much disruption on the motorway in any case.

Advertisement