Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the Grade as an Undergraduate and Progressing onto a Masters.

Options
  • 11-09-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Was just wondering is there anyone here who got a 1:1 degree and progressed onto a Research Masters?

Really I felt to get the 1:1 you not only had to produce a quality dissertation, but also juggle and do well in all the other subjects that had to be covered during the final year.

So on that, when doing a masters that's concentrated solely on research and producing a dissertation without having to worry about anything else beyond just that, did anyone here feel they had to take things to another level and step it up a gear even though achieveing a 1:1??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I think the answer varies. IMHO there is a considerable difference between getting a 1:1 in an undergraduate program and doing something considerable in terms of research. A small number of people suck at exams but are great at research. Plenty of people are good at exams but suck at research. Some people are good at both. It depends on your skills and interests. For example, I love research and although I have a couple of 1:1 degrees to my name, I'm not great at exams. Getting through exams is the hard part for me. For others, exams are a (relative) breeze but research seems impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

Yeah there's certainly is a difference alright between being good at exams and research.

It's just that when I spoke to one of my lecturers about doing a Masters when it's advertised, he said to me at the undergraduate level I can more than deal with everything thats's being covered, research or otherwise.

Therefore I should have absolutely no problems when progressing onto a Masters. This is because I demonstrated in my final year that I could conduct research with minimal supervision and demonstrated a good command with statistics etc.

It just appears to me that a Masters is somewhat on par with what I've already done, but conducted over a longer period. In this case two academic years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

nmblade wrote: »
    It just appears to me that a Masters is somewhat on par with what I've already done, but conducted over a longer period. In this case two academic years.

Don't think about it in terms of getting a grade in your masters, think about it relative to winning a Nobel Prize. The change in perspective should help you realise that there's no speed limit in research, which makes it more exciting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

I'm certainly relishing the propects of all that research entails all right!

Funding on the project I want to get onto is what's delaying things though:cool:

Advertisement