Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is considered high mileage for a 125cc engine?

• 11-09-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Specifically if the engine has been serviced regularly, broken in well, and given good riding care.

thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

that wouls all depend on what type of engine it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It depends on the engine and the bike its in. A Yamaha TDR 125 anything over 35k, a CBR125 should last much longer as should most Japanese four strokes, a CG125 will last forever if its kept serviced.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Hmmm interesting question, what about a yamaha sr125 ? My little baby was 10 this year, and have about 14,500 miles on her.
    Promised myself i'd buy a new bike after 10 years but tbh i'm happy enough with her as she's cheap to run and doesnt cost much to maintain, so please tell me i can expect to get plenty more miles out of her....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

weeder wrote: »
    that wouls all depend on what type of engine it is

A Suzuki GN 125

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

chasm wrote: »
    Hmmm interesting question, what about a yamaha sr125 ? My little baby was 10 this year, and have about 14,500 miles on her.
    Promised myself i'd buy a new bike after 10 years but tbh i'm happy enough with her as she's cheap to run and doesnt cost much to maintain, so please tell me i can expect to get plenty more miles out of her....:)

If she's been serviced regularly, looked after, and not hammered, you'll get that mileage again, so here's to another 10 yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

The Agogo wrote: »
    A Suzuki GN 125

You might be interested in this article
    http://www.suzukicycles.org/high_milage_suzuki.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

furerer wrote: »
    If she's been serviced regularly, looked after, and not hammered, you'll get that mileage again, so here's to another 10 yrs.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The Agogo wrote: »
    A Suzuki GN 125

40-50k is high mileage on one of these in my opinion. Anything around that - walk away unless you are getting it for free. In a lot of cases its not the engine that gives bother at high mileage, its the other stuff that wears out - suspension, brake and drive components as well as steering head, swingarm bushings/bearings and so on.

Any well looked after bike will keep going but if you suspect any level of neglect, find another one. There are lots of second hand bikes around and no reason to compromise yourself.

Feel free to post a link or pics if you want a more detailed answer.

'cptr

Advertisement