Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is self esteem happiness?

• 11-09-2010 11:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's having too much confidence in your abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Where did you read this? Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Isn't that self-evident? I'm not being sarcastic here, I am asking a serious question. Would excessive self-esteem not produce over confidence in one's own abilities or judgement and an inflated ego? And the consequence of that could be the sense that one is in some way a superior being and entitled to dictate other people's lives - even benevolently.

It is quite possible to have self-esteem and not be happy, though. If life events are causing stress or concern, then you will not be happy, even though self-esteem is intact. Indeed it is possible to have healthy self esteem and be content with life, without necessarily being happy. Happiness is a rare and fleeting gift for many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 powerjuggler

paky wrote: »

no, happiness is merely a transient fleeting emotion that oscillates and intermingles with all the other emotions throughout your life.
    Self esteem is a double edged sword where confidence begets confidence, yet you become oblivious to the sting of the blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Three Sheets

paky wrote: »
    My spontaneous answer is "NO".

It seems to me that happiness is a state of non-awareness of oneself. I am most happy when I haven't given my joy a thought. Once organizing my state of mind on just why it is that I am happy, I've then begun to tear down and shattered the mood. I believe "self esteem" to be a far too conscious state, an event of evaluation. Poof! The mood is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

It seems to me that happiness is a state of non-awareness of oneself. I am most happy when I haven't given my joy a thought. Once organizing my state of mind on just why it is that I am happy, I've then begun to tear down and shattered the mood. I believe "self esteem" to be a far too conscious state, an event of evaluation. Poof! The mood is gone.

Great answer. It also shows (imo) why egotism and selfishness is not the way to go, if one wants to be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mmmoments

Yes! Thank you Three Sheets..you've actually help me detangle my confused mind.. Is this the exact reason psychotherapy works.?..if you analyze your sadness and upset you shatter the mood? Why is it that analyzing happiness causes it to dissipate while sometimes analyzing misery makes it deeper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Mmmoments wrote: »
    Yes! Thank you Three Sheets..you've actually help me detangle my confused mind.. Is this the exact reason psychotherapy works.?..if you analyze your sadness and upset you shatter the mood? Why is it that analyzing happiness causes it to dissipate while sometimes analyzing misery makes it deeper?

To me the answer would be very clear in this regard. Happiness is a FEELING which comes from the centre of the Heart (spiritual Heart that is). It is the natural nature of The Heart. So when we start to analyze it with our brain it automatically means the brain starts to block the feeling of happiness by being busy trying to look at it. The next time you are feeling happy, follow the feeling rather than following your brain and thoughts.

If we follow our thoughts when sad, angry, feeling miserable etc, it simply means the brain will delve deeper in to these negative emotions. This is because we have learned to follow our brain/thoughts all of our life, and not follow our feeling.

To me this makes perfect sense, to others it is a story, yet next time you are FEELING Happy, just follow the nice feeling. This will grow and grow til the natural attitude of your daily existence is happiness, joy, peacefulness and calmness etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

No, innocence is. Self-esteem is important, though, and is a big part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Happyness is existence pure and simple.Its like the blue sky in that its always there but its covered by the clouds and rain at times.Happyness is a choice in my opinion at the end of the day.
    Perfect example is my wife to be whos sister died last week and she is heartbroken but she is still a happy person who in general is always in good spirit and is happy in her life despite her recent loss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement