Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a better router??

Options
  • 11-09-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

What's happening at the moment is when I have TVersity running on my pc (for streaming movies) and play xbox live at the same time, XBL tends to glitch and sometimes lose connection. (lost connection to host, or host migration failed). Same happens if im downloading and playing XBL. When im not D/L'ing or streaming, XBL is smooth.

I've got UPC 30mb, cisco epc2425 and fairly basic Intellinet 150n wireless router.

Would peeps think id need a higher end router ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A better router would help, Intellinet is terrible rubbish, nearly as bad as Belkin....and both are the routers PCWorld and Harvey Normans recommend everytime

I recommend getting a better router, get one that supports dd-wrt, that way You can setup Qos and get better bandwidth control, You'd be able to download or watch Youtube and do XBL at the same time
    I always recommend this Linksys, but there are many others including lots of "n" routers

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A better router would help, Intellinet is terrible rubbish, nearly as bad as Belkin....and both are the routers PCWorld and Harvey Normans recommend everytime

I recommend getting a better router, get one that supports dd-wrt, that way You can setup Qos and get better bandwidth control, You'd be able to download or watch Youtube and do XBL at the same time
    I always recommend this Linksys, but there are many others including lots of "n" routers

Ya I kind of suspected this myself too to be honest.
    WOuld the WRT54GL be good enough for what i want or would i be better off future-proofing myself and going with something like the Netgear WNDR3700 or the Linksys WRT610N. Both are simultaneous dual band.

The WNDR3700 is on offer at the moment for €108 in Komplett. The WRT610n is €165. Both top routers from these manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Better to run cat5 cables so everything is wired

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Better to run cat5 cables so everything is wired

Emm....I wouldn't be trying to improve my wireless if I could wire everything now would I? ;)

Ok...I bit the bullet !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement