Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signing off ?

• 12-09-2010 12:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I currently get JSA and used my two weeks of "holiday time" when I travelled to Australia during July and signed off for the other 3 weeks until I returned.

Does these two weeks run for each calendar year (1st Jan - Dec31st) or does it roll over 12 months, eg. should I have to wait until July 2011 until I could take the 2 weeks again? I want to help my brother out with his house in England next February and would spend about 25 days in all over with him.

Could I take the two weeks and lose one week or should I just sign off for the three weeks and lose the lot? If you sign off without having found work would this draw all sorts of questions and suspicions? ie. they thinking I am working for cash and not paying tax!

I want to do the right thing so as to not break any rules but if I could take the 2 weeks holiday it would save me from losing two weeks payment and with loans from the Australia trip to be repaid out of €100/week I can't foresee myself going anywhere in 2011.

Hopefully I might find work between here and then and it won't be an issue to begin with; I just spotted Ryanair flights for €6 in the February dates we had in mind so if I had clarity on the dole issue I'd book them fairly lively.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Stinicker wrote: »
    I currently get JSA and used my two weeks of "holiday time" when I travelled to Australia during July and signed off for the other 3 weeks until I returned.

Does these two weeks run for each calendar year (1st Jan - Dec31st) or does it roll over 12 months, eg. should I have to wait until July 2011 until I could take the 2 weeks again?

I'm not certqin about this, I think the best place to ask would be the Citizen's Advice. it's better to ask there first as asking at the local welfare office could lead to all sorts of questions.

Could I take the two weeks and lose one week or should I just sign off for the three weeks and lose the lot? If you sign off without having found work would this draw all sorts of questions and suspicions? ie. they thinking I am working for cash and not paying tax!

If you sign off for three weeks you'll have to open a new claim when you get back. That means lots of questions, a new means test and a potentially long period of time waiting for your claim to come through. Without a p45 it could be disasterous for you!

I want to do the right thing so as to not break any rules but if I could take the 2 weeks holiday it would save me from losing two weeks payment and with loans from the Australia trip to be repaid out of €100/week I can't foresee myself going anywhere in 2011.

I know what you mean about trying to do the right thing. The system is set up in such a rigid way that it sometimes makes it very difficult to know what to do. Defintely check out Citizens Advice and get all the facts before you approach anyone in a welfare office.

Good luck

Advertisement